Photo

Whos Rollered Their Car?

Best Answer leadly , 11 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Still need to get my finger out and test rollering out on my old bonnet to see what I can acheive. Alot of roller projects look great on the net but I still don't think i'v seen a good job in the flesh yet....unless they were that good I didnt realise it was rollered. lol Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#46 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Okay so if I was going to roll my car, what paint / lacquer should I use? What roller and how do you get a neat finish in all the cracks / difficult places?

I'm intrigued xD definitely seems much much cheaper than using 2k paints... and safer

Paint wise, I used rustoelum thinned 20% with celly thinners, but there are others you can use

You need a small gloss roller (cost you a couple of quid at B&Q ect, I woudl also get the paint tray liners, saves cleaning ;) )

To get into the corners ect, you need a small brush. A foam one is best (I didn't have any so used a paint brush) and then roller over them as best you can before it starts to dry.

Take a trawl through the rolledon forum, and have a look here

Edited by craig 1010cc, 04 February 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#47 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Cheers Craig, I will today, did you use rustoleums thinners?

Also what colour did you use on your mini, it looks fantastic! I'm thinking of buying a Clubman and think it would look great in that colour

Edited by elliott1905, 04 February 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#48 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

that video is also in the links section on this forum

#49 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

did you use rustoleums thinners?

I didn't no. That is a white spirits based one which takes longer to flash off (dry), I used celluos (SP?) thinners but either works well :) We did find that using celly thinners the paint hardened alot quicker once it had dried as well

#50 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

hi,

just been reading through rustoleum threads and have read that it chips quite easily. Is this a comon theme with rustoleum pain when used on cars??

Graham

#51 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

it's not something i have had a problem with in the last 4 years since i painted my camper

#52 stevewidds

stevewidds

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

this all sounds like a good option for new paint for those that are short of a few quid and on a budget...

#53 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

craig 1010cc - is that the RAL 7001 grey colour you used on your car?

What have people been using for lacquer on their cars after rollering on the paint? If using Rustoleum roll-on from a tin can you then use their Spray lacquer once the colour has sufficently hardened?

#54 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

craig 1010cc - is that the RAL 7001 grey colour you used on your car?

I've already asked him this :P

He said it was the only agriculture colour of grey they did, I worked it out to be "RAL 7386 - Deutz Grey, Agriculture Machinery"

Hope this helps, Elliott

#55 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Cheers elliot. I was trying to get an idea of the colour as I want mine a little darker than this. THIS site lists that colour but the swatch looks a lot darker on my screen that on his car.

#56 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah I took a look at that same site earlier this week and I agree it does, I think just go for a colour that you like the look of, or maybe buy a small pot and test it out?

I think for mine I'm going to do steel grey on the main bodywork, then that slightly darker marine grey for the bonnet, roof, arches and the rear side of the wing mirrors. Hopefully it will look good :)

Good luck!

#57 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Also this is the message he sent me... you might be able to do a better search than me on the info he posted... if you do let me know what you come up with :P

"HI Elliot

I can't remember which colour it was called, but it was the only agricultural grey they did (I think it is a classic Massy Ferg tractor colour, has a tractor symbol on thier colour chart :) )

A clubby in iut would look ace (but I have a bit of a thing for all cars on grey :P)"

#58 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sorry for loads of posts! I would edit it all into one but it's been too long for me to do that :/

Check out this website, the colour of the car looks a lot like Signal Grey RAL7004, it also lets you look at a slightly bigger sample, which is always helpful! Good website although price is a couple of quid more :P

http://www.rawlinspa...CFcQTfAodYioFfg

Edited by elliott1905, 08 February 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#59 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I cant see anything on that site but the headings, probably the pc though.

#60 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

There's a colour chart on the left, about 3/4 of the way down is the grey I'm talking about :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users