Photo

Whos Rollered Their Car?

Best Answer leadly , 11 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

Still need to get my finger out and test rollering out on my old bonnet to see what I can acheive. Alot of roller projects look great on the net but I still don't think i'v seen a good job in the flesh yet....unless they were that good I didnt realise it was rollered. lol Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#61 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Yeah I can only see the top banner & drop downs nothing else works

#62 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

here is the link for the colour chart
http://www.rawlinspa..._colourcard.pdf

Looking at the chart, I am wondering if it was 7001 that I ordered but I am sure it was Ral 7005, I will try and check next time I'm up the lockup (if I haven't dribbled paint over the lable :P) as i need to order some more any way

I have been surprised how well the colour has gone down :)

If you want to some more pics of the painting, here is the build thread (must get back on it :( )
http://www.theminifo...latest-rebuild/

Edited by craig 1010cc, 09 February 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#63 LukeMoss

LukeMoss

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local Club: TGSOC

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm seriously contemplating this as the Minis will be my daily drives I don't think I need a top quality spray job although it would be nice the money could be spent better else where I think, the finish that can be achieved is brilliant how much roughly would it be for all the equipment including paint etc....

Last question what types of paint can you use?

Cheers

#64 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well here is a link for the paint, I reckon you need two pots of 2.5 litres but others might say just one, depends if you want to do the inside as well, and how many layers you want.. (you don't need primer it's a two-in-one paint)
http://www.rustoleum...lourselect/1/19

You also need thinner:
http://www.rustoleum...lourselect/1/22

From this site you can buy the rollers... not sure how many you need but if one drys out you will need to replace it, I would go with 4 or 6 (just to be safe)
http://www.tools-pai...%29_43304_43304

And here is the handle for it (not sure if this is the exact one, but it should fit... I can't find just the handle by itself)
http://www.diy.com/n...-4-Inch-9371322

You also need a foam paintbrush, again if this drys out you will need to replace it, I would go with 2 or 3 of them, you can find them easily on google, I won't link you as there's lots of different sizes that you can choose from :) These only cost a quid each :P

Also you will need sandpaper to prep the car with, start with 1500 grit wet and dry and then finish off with 3000 grit wet and dry, you can find this stuff on ebay.

Paint - £60
Thinner - £24
Rollers - £10
Roller handle - £4
Foam brushes - £6
Sandpaper - £10

TOTAL - £104 (remember this is just an estimate, you might want to spend more on paints / brushes etc)

You might also want to invest in a sanding block or electric sander but this is your choice (I recommend a sanding block at minimum)

Elliott

Edited by elliott1905, 09 February 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#65 LukeMoss

LukeMoss

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local Club: TGSOC

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cheers mate that's brilliant everything I needed saves £400 or so thanks again pal :D

#66 elliott1905

elliott1905

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Cheers mate that's brilliant everything I needed saves £400 or so thanks again pal :D

Sorry mate I got that wrong! the sandpaper I was thinking about was for polishing a car! you need 120, 400 and 800 grit wet and dry...

Get all the big lumps / bumps worked with 120 grit wet and dry, then give it a rub everywhere with 400 grit wet and dry, and then smooth everything off real tidy with 800 grit wet and dry

Hope this helps!

#67 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

So far I've used 2.5ltr, that has given 2 coats inside the shell, inner wings (front wheel wells), engine bay inside and out of the doors and bonnet, outside of the shell and inside the boot (only 1 coat so far on the outside of the boot lid). And that was a colour change as well. Roller wise, I used about 6-8 heads and 5 paint brushes (normal ones and too lazy to clean them :P). I would get teh paint tray liners as well (they are peanuts, less than £2 for 10)

Try and go to a pound shop for your rollers and foam brushes, much cheaper :)

#68 conlad

conlad

Previously known as ct16mini.

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Does it 'need' to be warm or a certain temp when rollering the car?

#69 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

The warmer it is the faster it will dry (and how much you need to thin the paint). There is a min temp (I can't remember the temp off hand, but it is quite low. 7deg C rings a bell) and you ideally don't want it to drop below their min temp for a few days after painting whilst it hardens off fully. I'll try and have a look today at the tin.

and on the costings, don't bother with getting their thinner, buy normal white spirits, same stuff but much cheaper (and you'll need no more than 20% of the vol of paint + a bit for cleaning out equipment) or buy a couple ltrs of celly thinners like I did :)

Edited by craig 1010cc, 17 February 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#70 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

Sounds good! ;)

So it be a 5:1 ratio of paint to thinner if im right?

#71 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

About that, this time of year I would use a bit less.

I checked the tin and couldn't see the temp range, but did get teh paint code, Ral 7005

They recomend 10% thinning on their site and drying time listed for 10 deg C

Edited by craig 1010cc, 17 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#72 conlad

conlad

• Noobies
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hmm interesting, ok mate thanks for the info :)

#73 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Proper tempted to roller mine now!!

#74 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

Go for it, but remember that the prep required is no diff to spraying and it takes longer. But for £60, I can't grumble. Even considering repainting my 'new' beetle daily this was as the paints sh*te on it :P

#75 jayh29

jayh29

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill mini group

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Have just completed mine and will offer some advice:

I did 2 coats followed by a rub down with 800 wet and dry, then a further 2 coats and a final rub down with 1200 wet and dry. The black roof looked superb until I t-cut it, that  took off the shine and no mater what I did after that couldn't get it back, and any bits in the paint that I rubbed out went back to the original paint...so I would say at least 7 or 8 coats to be safe.

On the rest of the car I bypassed the t-cut and after the 1200 went straight for a polish...kept the shine and looks pretty good. I also experimented with a small area of clear coat, this looked identical to the polish.

At a cross roads now as to start again or rent a sprayer. As after many many hours of rubbing down and skinless fingers! it still looks average. Also don't scrimp on the masking tape, my cheap ones bled under here and there.

Only having a small garage made it a bit of a nightmare doing one side at a time, but still matched fine. The only thing putting me off doing it again is the drying times...expect a week or so to do the job.

Just my humble experience.

Jay.

First Pic is a before....2nd pic is after 4th coat and ready for final 1200 and polish.

Edited by jayh29, 04 April 2014 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users