#16 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

First thing i did to my mini as well when i got it.

Loving the difference

first thing i did was had an alarm fitted :lol:

#17 93Mini

93Mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

Just ordered a new grille and surrounds which should tidy it up nicely.

Next purchase will probably be chrome-effect arch covers and lower side trim. Hope this doesn't make it look takky but not too keen on the black plastic. Not sure how I would go about getting them body coloured? Would they just spray the current plastic arches? not sure how it would look either???

Then Im just going to get it down to the re-sprayers to sort out any rust.

If you see one of the photos above you can see that there is a dint in the bumper about the size of a 10p piece. Do you think this could be pulled out?

Cheers

#18 Blondini

Blondini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: Auckland mini car club

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

i think it looks quite good with the black flares, but i've never really liked the chrome flare look. it's all down to personal preference mate if you like it then go ahead and do it! it's always good to see unique minis where you can tell the owner has put his own personality into it. They'd quite possibly push that dent out as much as they could and then put a really thin layer of bog on it to shape it up if it isn't quite right. Also the difference between chrome and stainless ( for example the bumpers) is that with stainless you won't QUITE get that same gleaming shine but they'll pit and corrode easily if not looked after whereas the Stainless bumpers won't do that and you can also polish the sh*t out of the stainless ones as it won't remove anything. As opposed to the chrome which if polished too much ( i did this on my bullet mirrors which i was TOLD were SS) then you can quite easily remove the chrome finish.

And welcome to the forum! This place is a treasure trove of everything mini

Edited by Blondini, 31 October 2011 - 04:39 AM.

#19 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Hey, your mini is looking great! It looks a really nice standard example, there aren't many of them left! Those wheels look good, a nice set of RSP alloys, and they suit the car :)

Chrome arch covers look awful :P If you wan't to spray your current arches it involves a fair bit of sanding to get them smooth, then prime and paint. I've just done a set in BRG for my car but I'm not convinced to move away from the black yet, I'm a fan of the standard look! It's only £20 for a set of standard arches from Minispares if you wanted to pick up another set and have a go. If you stick with black, a bottle of good trim detailer can get them looking as new again and the contrast to the bodywork can add to the cars look.

As for the dint in the bumper, I have one almost the same from when I hit a wing mirror that fell of the car in front! You could knock it back out, but being such a smooth, shiny surface you won't get it looking perfect again. For the cost of a new SS bumper, I'd just go down that route. There's no great difference in the look between ss and chrome brightwork, and if you get some dinitrol or something in the back of your SS bumpers they should last forever without too much work.

#20 scotty_1987

scotty_1987

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Local Club: MiniBallers

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

nice mini you got yourself there mate good luck with it :proud: !

#21 93Mini

93Mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Fit the new grille and surrounds this morning! Looking a lot better. Luckily I saved all the old screws (which didn't look oe) when I removed the old grille last week as the new ones weren't quite thick enough.

Posted Image

Then took it for a spin. Not been out for a fair few weeks and was 4 degrees and wouldn't start at first. Just pulled the choke all the way out and it fired up first time!

Posted Image

Decided I defo do not want chrome arches. Just need to sort bumper out and touch up the tiny spots of rust and it's done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users