#16 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

insurance is stupid, i got turned down point blank by all classic insurers other than footman james because i work as a sound and lighting tech and there for work in the entertainment industry.

#17 davies145

davies145

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

i got mine for 768 when i passed about a year ago and goes down 100 every year i am with footman and james

#18 BlackJester

BlackJester

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Cheer's mate! same to you.

I am going to be ringing around tomorow alot of insurance company's and will tell you which one i got the best quote on incase it helps. So far adrian flux are the best at just over a grand. Will also try peter james aswell though.

#19 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

Previously known as minimad1992

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

insurance is stupid, i got turned down point blank by all classic insurers other than footman james because i work as a sound and lighting tech and there for work in the entertainment industry.

That's outrageous, i put my dad as a named driver and he's a car mechanic. That's why it may be higher. but a sound and lighting tech...really?

It's just too hard for young drivers to afford insurance these days.

Cheer's mate! same to you.

I am going to be ringing around tomorow alot of insurance company's and will tell you which one i got the best quote on incase it helps. So far adrian flux are the best at just over a grand. Will also try peter james aswell though.

Aha cheers, and it'll help me greatly if you would. :proud:

#20 TAR

TAR

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

You do realise that insurance is also based on postcode (location) risk as well as profession of the driver?

Some postcodes are almost uninsurable (Greater Manchester is on such location)

Your occupation can also affect the quote.

:)

#21 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

You do realise that insurance is also based on postcode (location) risk as well as profession of the driver?

Some postcodes are almost uninsurable (Greater Manchester is on such location)

Your occupation can also affect the quote.

:)

My area seems to be okay though O_O Well from what i've heard.

And I'm an Apprentice Design Engineer for the building trade, would that make it go up?

I'll keep looking Still have a month or so. :D

#22 BlackJester

BlackJester

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

footman and james, peter james wouldn't touch me because the car isn't 20 years old. I got a quote from adrian flux for 1300 and hic for 1440. But the hic insurer's came with more benifits e.g lower excess, europe cover and 1000 legal fee's. Pretty much anywere else is 3K +

#23 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

footman and james, peter james wouldn't touch me because the car isn't 20 years old. I got a quote from adrian flux for 1300 and hic for 1440. But the hic insurer's came with more benifits e.g lower excess, europe cover and 1000 legal fee's. Pretty much anywere else is 3K +

Did you put anyone as a named driver?

And what did you say your mileage is going to be and where your going to keep it? (driveway, garage. etc)

I got £3420 from adrian flux O_O but don't know why after I've heard good stuff about them.

#24 Leacho

Leacho

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

i rang up the other day for car insurance they said they wouldn't insure me because i was 17 :/

#25 zeemax mini1

zeemax mini1

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

shiting it now saw a mini liked it bought it thought as its a mini and a 998 would be cheap insurance (did't check) , and i got £3400 without telling them it has a full body kit sports exhaust alloys e.t.c :( im expecting like £10k may be forced to sell her :'( . its a 1985 mini city e with zeemax hit e.t.c :/

#26 MiniMadNox

MiniMadNox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

It seems to change day by day, the best way is probably to be patient and wait for the right price! :)

That's what i'm going to do :D

#27 MiniLandy

MiniLandy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Local Club: HAMOC

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Footman James are the only reason i still have a mini.

If the insurance for classic cars goes up to the same price as a normal, comfy, quiet, reliable car, no one will drive classics.

If i can't insure my mini for under a grand next year, i'll sell it and get a micra. Who the hell is going to pay MORE for insurance, to drive an old, unreliable car?

#28 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

If i can't insure my mini for under a grand next year, i'll sell it and get a micra. Who the hell is going to pay MORE for insurance, to drive an old, unreliable car?

Me.. because i love my mini.

I pay the same as I would on a modern car, because footman james wouldn't insure me. Still, I'm happy to be driving my mini.

#29 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

To get your insurance down, try adding an older more experienced driver(s) to the policy. I'm nearly 37 and adding my dad still knocks £40 off the price (although not on my Mini policy on my main cars policy). Limit your mileage to what you actually do. Never lie, but for occupation try something simular and see if it brings the quote down. For example if you're a Computer Programmer try Computer Operator instead from personal experience this can make a difference. Play them off each other, they are all after your business (well most of them) even if it means ringing them several times. Make use of any club discounts they do, cashback websites etc... they all help.

More info can be found here http://www.moneysavi...e-young-drivers

I'm lucky I only pay £89 for fully comp with Adrian Flux, but then I do have 15+ years experience. I feel sorry for people passing their test now I'd hate to be a young driver these days.

Edited by miniyellowmini, 25 August 2011 - 12:17 PM.

#30 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Does the car really have to be 20 years old now to qualify for classic insurance? Mines a 91 and insurance is not due till june 2012 so im ok (just) but several of my mates have minis that are younger and they probably wont be able to afford the increase... I dont know how they can justify/get away with those prices when just 1 year and 3 months ago, at 17, my insurance was £450!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users