82 replies to this topic

#76 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

Yep that sound good....Pitty you have such awfull weather tho...lol..

#77 dean.austin

dean.austin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

hia i have some of the same things done to my mini i have the 45 webere and a high lift cam with the dubble springs and its a 1380 along with the polished and ported head and mine dosnt ron on idle with the 1st and 4th cylinders either ive cheack everthing i dont now what it is but i got my carb redone and its running alot better through the revs and all it might be the idle jet im not shure is the weber new and are the seals good

#78 bigmatt4

bigmatt4

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

i have done some more testing on engine now its going have done a few hundred ks in it goes really well idle still not great. mate suggested we tried testing crank phasing so we fitted a degree wheel to flywheel . then fitted piston stop in no1 spark plug hole found tdc then fitted piston stop to no 3 and checed tdc and found crank phase to be out by 3 deg checked it 4 times same conclusion so picking the majority of our idle problem is there. not too concerned about it now though engine goes really well all plugs run nice brown color at all rpms engine has been fully balanced so runs real smooth revs real nice. wonder how many other standard cranks out there are out of phase. not even a dodgy grind would put them out that far?
Fitted a lambda sensor took for a run 14.7 being ideal burn low number rich high number lean
Had 14.2 at idle went slightly rich at cruse 12.3.
Full throttle 13.8.
Med throttle open road 13.8 so all pretty close not over rich
running
40mm weber
35mm chokes
3.5 aux venturi
f16 emulsions
145 mains
180 airs
50 idles
45 pump
blocked pump return

#79 new_zealand _minis

new_zealand _minis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: wellington new zealand

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

nice video .. good to see some more nz people on here , love the plate lol

#80 bwi_bwi_12

bwi_bwi_12

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

what is the result? what caused the problem? Im having exactly the same symptoms! wont idle on 1 and 4 but pulls nicely on the road. ive checked everything and the only thing i can think of is that it is the weber and manifold combination. outer two are running lean while inner two are rich suggesting port robbing. please help!

#81 bigmatt4

bigmatt4

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

yay finally got it to idle on 4 cyl someone lent me a new set of twin hs2 su carbs bolted them on bit off tuning later i have a mini that idles nice and lumpy on 4 cyl so the moral of the story is weber dont like agressive cams on mini engines. dosnt have as much power as the weber but has a cleaner power with no flatspots . Im still gonna try putting a balance tube or plenum in the weber manifold to see if we can get it to idle on 4. as the twin carb manifold also has a balance tube factory might take the pulse out of it a bit. If not i will be on the hunt for a set of 1" 1/2 su carbs

#82 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

You will definitely see an improvement with HS4 twins, mine pulls like a train from 3000rpm, but idles smoothly an just over 1000rpm. It took a while to get the right needles but well worth it in the end! I would go for twins over a Weber anyday.. Glad you have finally got somewhere with it.

#83 b34k3r

b34k3r

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:08 AM

Ive now acquired a HIF44 For it.. instead of twin HS4's.. Any advice on the manifold to purchase?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users