853 replies to this topic

#826 Carvell

Carvell

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:19 AM

They look class, I like. Slightly confused about the bit where you said about the 4x100 issue thought these are mini fitment?

#827 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

They look class, I like. Slightly confused about the bit where you said about the 4x100 issue thought these are mini fitment?

Turns out they arent :(  Need to either get the existing hubs reworked with 4x100 PCD offset from the existing PCD OR ordernew hubs from KAD or Force Racing who say they will machine whatever PCD I need.

#828 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Few new colours of powdercoat on the way so I should be able to get going with the gearbox/flywheel casings soon.  Then I can start looking at rebuilding the box.

Mrs to be has said that the car needs to be done for the wedding, so I'm more than happy to oblige smile.png

#829 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

I'd be knackered if my Mrs said that, we are getting married 10th September and the cars still a half rolling shell!

#830 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Had some spare time at lunch today so I took advantage of being a Draughtsman with CAD at his disposal and threw this together. All from memory and Doms are all over the shop but I will update with accurate dims in time. This is all to begin planning some rather significant suspension mods and I want to do it in 3D before spending any money.

Capture_zpsd8eabbud.jpg

#831 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

With the new wheels being the incorrect PCD, I looked into wobble bolts and due to Mini wheels not being hub centric, and 3.8 UNC wobble bolts not being available I am going down the machined hubs route. I have contacted KAD who are willing to make custom alloy drive flanges/rear hubs to accomodate 4x100 and 4x101.6 (4x4") PCDs. 

So as I am trying to model up the entire Mini running gear in CAD for my college graded unit, I created this.  All dims currently from memory until i can get one removed from the car but it proves my concept.  Offset PCDs that don't interfere with the mounting bolt holes.

Drive%20Flange_zpskmydzpxl.jpg

Drive%20flange%20rear_zpsmf5zddpb.jpg

Added inscriptions so the correct PCD can be located easily, so I can change the studs over depending on what wheels I want to use.

Drive%20Flange%20options_zpsjq3lztnc.jpg

and with the 4x100 studs in place.

4x100_zpspeo2kr8s.jpg

Going to wheak the drive flanges off the car over the next couple nights at some point so i can model them up correctly.

#832 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

one issue is the VW PCD is the stud heads. will they clear the disc.

IIRC the 4" PCD  only just allows the studs to clear the disc mounting face.

check

#833 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Yeh all to be checked when I have actual dims to work from.  The wheels are Renault but still the same 4x100 most European manufacturers such as VW use on their smaller models.

Was speaking to a guy on Instagram that fitted these very wheels to his R1 Mini and that was by modifying standard flanges/hubs so it is definitely possible.

Edited by Mini 360, 22 September 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#834 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

mmm Standard. which? there are two.

one thing I would be wary of is having to make mods to a service part (disc) so if you need have the wheel mounting face a few mm further out so the studs can be fully recessed. check with all stud types. flat head, half domed and full domed (rears but sometimes used on the front for wheels with thick centers).

Looking good by the way.

#835 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

mmm Standard. which? there are two.

one thing I would be wary of is having to make mods to a service part (disc) so if you need have the wheel mounting face a few mm further out so the studs can be fully recessed. check with all stud types. flat head, half domed and full domed (rears but sometimes used on the front for wheels with thick centers).

Looking good by the way.

Not a clue what he used and haven't seen mine in so long I can't remember which ones I have either! This is why I'm doing it all in CAD first, so I don't waste money on bits I don't need.

#836 gadget555

gadget555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

Quick search and found this company, might be worth a call.

http://www.randr-all...s/adaptor-plate

I asked a few engineering shops around the Broch and Peterhead to make me a new set for my Watsons conversion rears but they were either way over priced ££££ or were "to busy". A new set are £165 all in Mine are 55mm wide to bring the rear track out to nearer the same as the rover metro front sub frame I'm running at the front. Mini PCD to 4 X 100 and 4 X 95.3  on the same adapter.http://i230.photobuc...ty/PICT0177.jpg

Keith.

#837 gadget555

gadget555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

I'd just like to add your car is a stunning example of true grit and determination to get it to where it is at, keep up the good work and keep posting updates. 

Gadget.

#838 Lees

Lees

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local Club: Aberdeen Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Can't wait to see Trig out on the road again! Keep up the hard work!

#839 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

I asked a few engineering shops around the Broch and Peterhead to make me a new set for my Watsons conversion rears but they were either way over priced ££££ or were "to busy". A new set are £165 all in Mine are 55mm wide to bring the rear track out to nearer the same as the rover metro front sub frame I'm running at the front. Mini PCD to 4 X 100 and 4 X 95.3  on the same adapter.http://i230.photobuc...ty/PICT0177.jpg

Keith.

I'd just like to add your car is a stunning example of true grit and determination to get it to where it is at, keep up the good work and keep posting updates. 

Gadget.

Thanks for the link!  Tried to find studded adaptors but all my searches came up with threaded ones for wheel bolts rather than nuts.  Thanks!  I hate not having enough time to work on it!!!

Can't wait to see Trig out on the road again! Keep up the hard work!

Cheers Greg min!

#840 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

Keith.

Jeusses sorry I would have gone custom beam with Metro rear arms. You could have had that spacing with out any spacers.

Oops that is just about what I had Watsons do for me 20 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users