#91 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

Well wasn't supposed to be at Banchory today but Uni finished 4.5hrs early so nipped out. Keep my stuff in the boot so was all prepped to go anyway. Not much done but got the doors sanded using a cool little Mirka orbital sander with vacuum feed to cut down on dust like one of these.....

Posted Image

Makes sanding a breeze! Just used it on bits that a scotchbrite pad didnt smooth off. Didnt want to risk using too many discs when Im paying for them! :lol:

Once it was all smooth we popped some high build primer on the bare metal bits around the edge of the skin and the door bottom. Then we put some seam sealer on to protect it from rusting any more! Plan is to get the bottom of the doors stone chipped to again prevent rust as much as possible. this can be painted over too so will hardly be able to notice it!

So more work tomorrow morning which will mainly be alignment and possibly welding of the front panels! Should be good to see!

#92 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Glad to see the project coming along. Its looking great, once that front ends welded up its really gonna take shape :) Good work!!!

#93 cjg199

cjg199

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

What your doing is superb cant wait to see it when its finished!! Keep up the good work!! im now going to follow this its helping me for when i start to restore mine :D Chris

#94 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

nice work!!

#95 dougie1142

dougie1142

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Local Club: I.M.O.G

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Another Scottish student build, yay :)

#96 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well a half day down on the mini today. We decided to get the drivers side door lined up along with the inner wing and a panel. Even though its all Heritage panels they still needed a fair amount of lining up to meet my expectations :lol: I dont want the typical mini door syndrome where the bottom rear is sticking out a bit which looks terrible.....

So eventually with a bit of playing with the door hinge holes we got it mm perfect with no spacers/shims. Chuffed!

Posted Image
DSCF4478 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCF4481 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

The door skin had warped/been bent a bit with positioning as you can see below......but a quick sesh with the hammer and dolly soon sorted that out. Sits flush now.

Posted Image
DSCF4486 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

So here we have it. One door in perfect position. Hope the other side works out as easy as this one....

Posted Image
DSCF4494 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Then once we got that done the A panel quickly followed on and then we went onto the inner wing. These were spot welded everywhere at the factory but we have seam welded them as they have loads of points of contact so it should be a lot lot stronger. Plug welded it where it meets the door frame.

Posted Image
DSCF4497 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

This was all welded from the inside of the bay so hence the burn through marks

Posted Image
DSCF4498 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

and one from the inside. Looks a bit rough and ready but still needs cleaned up and then will be covered in paint, sound deadening and carpets. So you will never know

Posted Image
DSCF4499 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

And this is the cars company for this week.....an SL63 AMG needing some boot paintwork. Sounds amazing!

Posted Image
DSCF4502 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

So it may not seem like much progress but perfection takes time as they say....next out on tuesday morning/early afternoon before work in the evening. So should get more done then along the lines of the other door/inner wing/scuttle and possibly even outer wings as the front panel is perfectly in place.

Back to work after 2 weeks off tomorrow so now

#97 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Glad to see the project coming along. Its looking great, once that front ends welded up its really gonna take shape :) Good work!!!

Cheers! Once the fronts done it will be on to the labour intensive paint prep....not looking forward to that one bit!

What your doing is superb cant wait to see it when its finished!! Keep up the good work!! im now going to follow this its helping me for when i start to restore mine :D Chris

Glad to hear its helping! Good luck buddy!

nice work!!

Another Scottish student build, yay :)

Why hello there fellow ScottishMini'er :lol:

#98 muddd001

muddd001

TMFs Calender King

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

Looking great can't wait untill its finished, What are you studying at UNI

#99 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Nice :)

#100 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Looking great can't wait untill its finished, What are you studying at UNI

Either can I believe it or not! :lol: Im studying Graphic Design. Just gone into 3rd year :) Will hopefully pay the bills one day.....

Nice :)

#101 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Didnt start work till 4 today so was up early to go out to Banchory and work on the car for a few hours!

Got stuck into boot repairs/prep. This is the boot as was....

Posted Image
DSCF4506 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Not too bad but holes nonetheless so poked away at them and they got bigger....so out with the airsaw (epic tool!) and I was left with this.....

Posted Image
DSCF4508 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Was good to check the state of the valence closing panel. Thankfully it was fine so will get filled with Waxoyl so it stays that way! I made up a carboard template to plate up the hole and then set about a spare bit of metal, left over from the floorpan repair panel, with the tin snips.

Posted Image
DSCF4510 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Then made up another curved plate to match the contour of the inner arch to fix the other hole which also grew.....

Posted Image
DSCF4510 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Then made some holes in the other side and plate them up too. Just need welded up and the boots done. Glad thats the worst of the holes!

So progress again. Not much but still satisfying work. Love doing little bits like this :) Saved me some money doing it myself too!

Not sure when i will next be working on it due to Uni being useless and not giving me my timetable yet even though Im now back at Uni........so watch this space! :)

#102 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Update time! Bit late as this was done yesterday but you can blame the crap BT internet connection for that.........

Managed to get a morning on the car today. As I had made up panels for the boot already, I just needed Phil to weld them in. Boot now done! Just needs welds dressed up for paint and some seam sealer on.

Posted Image
DSCF4526 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

And some of his quality welding.....

Posted Image
DSCF4527 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Since we still had a bit of time before I had to go to uni.....which was a waste of time anyway.....we got torn into tubbing the passenger side arch. First I stripped off the sealer/sound deadening/crap from underneath and then we cut out the lip and a larger section of the arch. Going to be doing it in one piece of steel again with another lip formed to get some strength back into it.

Posted Image
DSCF4514 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCF4515 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

MBX'd..... I LOVE this tool!

Posted Image
DSCF4519 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Rest of the sealer off just to make sure theres no other nasties hiding anywhere

Posted Image
DSCF4522 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

The cut away piece of arch

Posted Image
DSCF4524 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCF4525 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Couple repair patches to go in where the subframe mounts as its badly rusted but I just got a text saying its been repaired! So thats almost all the rust gone, just the passenger outer sill to go which isn't a massive job! Then its just front end final welding and it will be onto paint prep and painting. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel......

Im next out on Monday morning so should get the arch finally tubbed then, that is if Phil hasn't finished it off tomorrow morning though.......he fairly works on!

#103 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Some quality welding there, how I wish I could have had mine done in double quick time ! Keep the pics comming!

#104 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Cheers! To be honest I dont think it would be this far on if I wasnt going to help out. If Im not there he doesnt work on it so he can get on with other cars in for a day or twos bump repairs. But still the quicker the better and his quality of work doesnt seem to suffer in doing it quickly either! Top loon!

#105 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Well its been a long time coming but Ive finally got a rust free Mini! :D Thats the inner and outer passenger sill done along with the passenger side tubbed arch. So next is the front end which, if not done/started already, will be done Friday morning when im next out. Or at least started on anyway.....

The much needed pics!

Phil worked on after I left the other day to get the metal into place for the tub.

Posted Image
DSCF4530 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Leaving an ample lip for me to trim down this morning

Posted Image
DSCF4531 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

And then the remaining bits that needed repaired were patched up. Doesnt look too pretty here but they are yet to be dressed up and the floor/arches are getting stone chipped and painted black anyway and the wheels/arches will easily cover it all. Function over form for once!

Posted Image
DSCF4534 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Trig gained a friend in the form of an Austin A35. Pretty solid looking thing but in for some welding work on the front arch.

Posted Image
DSCF4535 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

And sill on. Hadrian panel but does the job....just.....fit was ok thankfully but did need a bit of tweaking to get right.

Posted Image
DSCF4537 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCF4538 by Andrew Forbes Photography, on Flickr

Progress progress! Roll on Friday morning :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users