#16 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

Glass.

Tempered/Heat resistant. Be a pain to make but would do the job and look great as long as you changed the oil every month!

That would be rather difficult to fabricate though

#17 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Yes very.

Would need to be molded and polished then tampered.

Costly but possible...

#18 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

Maybe you could use a ferrero rocher box with a couple of holes drilled in it? :ph34r:

#19 paul_s

paul_s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

They dont drive there!!!!!

Hahah, good point. Silly me, there was me thinking because it's a car it gets driven >_<

#20 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

But its not that exciting under the rocker cover anyway!! why on earth would you want a see through one....And yes I do have the purple roller tip rockers fitted....But still.....Oily yuk!!!

#21 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

But its not that exciting under the rocker cover anyway!! why on earth would you want a see through one....And yes I do have the purple roller tip rockers fitted....But still.....Oily yuk!!!

I think it would look pretty awsome

#22 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

They have been available in the past, made from polycarbonate (plastic - yes it's strong enough). Thing is it's not oil resistant and it discolours, and becomes brittle eventually. Carbon versions seem to do the same and warp a bit. The way to do it would be Pyrex rather than toughened glass (if a toughened glass one broke, bye bye engine. Pyrex doesn't shatter like that). As said though it would have to be injection moulded and would be an expensive proposition to put in production.

#23 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

They have been available in the past, made from polycarbonate (plastic - yes it's strong enough). Thing is it's not oil resistant and it discolours, and becomes brittle eventually. Carbon versions seem to do the same and warp a bit. The way to do it would be Pyrex rather than toughened glass (if a toughened glass one broke, bye bye engine. Pyrex doesn't shatter like that). As said though it would have to be injection moulded and would be an expensive proposition to put in production.

Do you know where they have been available in the past ?

#24 AdamBilsy

AdamBilsy

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Could you not just have a clear topped one, would make it easier to make. have a normal metal one,cut an opening in the top then have a glass/pyrex viewing window.

#25 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Could you not just have a clear topped one, would make it easier to make. have a normal metal one,cut an opening in the top then have a glass/pyrex viewing window.

That is a good Idea and I had thought of it, but what I really want is a completely clear one.

#26 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Bang on, even with a nice set of oily rockers (I had the nice purple ones aswell) its almost quite boring to want to see under there, and if you want to see the rockers at work......well eventually you won't because the cover would be full of oil!

A clear dizzy cap is mildly more exciting to see (I use the term mildly very mildly here!) also you can see if you got spark there

If you see a clear rocker cover at a show thats clean it won't make sense unless you are part of the trailor queen convoy, and I have no time for trailor queens that are up against a car shall I dare say it........a car that was driven there.....like on the road! :o

As mentioned already in here personalise your rocker cover, get an airbrush design of something like I don't know? maybe some rockers and some nuts and maybe some rocker shafts and springs, some valve springs and retainers, and add a touch of oil, wait a sec that sounds familiar?

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

I honestly can't remember where I've seen them, but try a search here because it comes up fairly frequently.

Had a quick Google though, I can find Polycarb valve covers for lots of American metal, and for Triumphs, but not for Mini at the moment!

#28 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

if a clear rocker cover was made, surely they could coat the inside with whatever they coat the inside of todays squeezy totmato sauce bottles, if u turn a bottle upside down, all the sauce slides to the bottom (or top, which ever way u look at it) could work for oil too.. just a thought

#29 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

I honestly can't remember where I've seen them, but try a search here because it comes up fairly frequently.

Had a quick Google though, I can find Polycarb valve covers for lots of American metal, and for Triumphs, but not for Mini at the moment!

Could I have a link to the website.... Might try mailing them.

#30 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

I was thinking exactly this the other day! :ohno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users