64 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

There has been a lot of posts concerning mini thefts recently.
Where it be a prized restored van, or a project bucket if it means something to you then we should and need to take precautions to protect our property, we shouldn't have to, but unfortunately is something humans have always had to do, and most likely always will have to do.

So, how about we compile a list of the best alarms, immobilisers hints and tips for securing your car.

Nothing is going to be the ultimate solution to car security. Whenever there is a great bit of tech launched to combat thieves, (for example GPS tracker) then just around the corner comes another piece of tech to make the previous useless (for example a GPS blocker) But every little helps, and lets be honest most thieves wont expect a mini to have a GPS tracker.

So, what is the best Alarm / immobiliser?

Any Hints and tips to keeping your car safe?
1) Dont allow anyone you dont know or trust to see into your garage.
2) Be careful who you trust
3) Always be aware of if your being followed (not just after shows) Its always worth going round the block a few times just to be sure! If you suspect anyone, drive to your closest police station.
4) If your car isnt garaged, consider a car cover?
5) Have a battery cut off switch concealed away?
6) Consider a GPS tracker

There are plenty more, and I'm looking forward to hearing your tips

#2 kieranjt

kieranjt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

My Grandad always used to tell me to take the rotor arm out, guess it would stop some light fingered youths making off with it in a hurry...

I used to have one of them clamps that went over the hand break and gear stick, i thought that was a good idea until i realised how easy it was to just unscrew the gear knob and slide the clamp off >_<

#3 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

The best anti-theft is low tech, ram posts, ground anchors, big fat chains etc. That, and just palin old confusion; things like removing the rotor arm or king lead (my personal fave). I've never been one for alarms myself, because lets be honest, who actually pays attention these days?

I have a battery master killswitch, and earth isolator in the boot (DisCarNect) and take the king lead off when left overnight.

If someone wants your mini badly enough, they'll take it. They'll just pop by the day before and scop out what they'll need, and come back another night. Security just puts off the opportunists, and makes life difficult for everyone else.

#4 Frisco

Frisco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Who pays attention to alarms? You if it's in your driveway at 2am
Things like sensor lights in your driveway also work well in built up areas. Mr scumbag doesn't usually like to be seen easily

#5 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Actually I remember reading an interview with an ex-proffesional car theif, stole to order, that kind of thing, but he turned straight and worked for a security firm offering advice.

Anyway, point being, he said security lights didn't put him off in the slightest, he purposely turn it on a few times and keep an eye on curtains twitching, then carry on with the aid of actually been able to see what he was doing. Great stuff!

#6 Frisco

Frisco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

If they are determined enough they will get it no matter what. Its the lower end scum bag you are trying to put off and a car in a dark corner is easier than one lit up like a christmas tree

#7 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

The best anti-theft is low tech, ram posts, ground anchors, big fat chains etc. That, and just palin old confusion; things like removing the rotor arm or king lead (my personal fave). I've never been one for alarms myself, because lets be honest, who actually pays attention these days?

Thats true, no one ever does. How about a real tech alarm that texts you to say your car alarms going off? Its about time this tech was more affordable!

If someone wants your mini badly enough, they'll take it. They'll just pop by the day before and scop out what they'll need, and come back another night. Security just puts off the opportunists, and makes life difficult for everyone else.

I dont agree that if someone wants it badly enough they will take it, but rather If someone wants it badly enough they will do everything in their power to take it, I believe there to be a subtle difference which also means you stand a better chance at keeping it!

the key is making it as hard for them as possible a maybe throwing in some surprises that the wouldn't have expected or noticed when they were scoping the car our doing their reaseach. I like the idea of randomising things also, so to keep them off guard if they do come back there might be something there they didnt expect, but I think id rather opt of everything, all of the time instead!

I do like the idea of low tech options, but want to couple them with the tech not instead of. The anti ram posts seem like a good idea, and I never considered those, I might do now though!

I hate this fact, but I think the simplest thing to do is try and make your car seem more trouble than someone elses. Its harsh I know, but its like the old saying, you dont have to out run the cheater, you just have to outrun your friends. Same applies here, you just have to have better and more security than someone else and make their car seems like the easier choice :/

Edited by E.L.M.O, 28 September 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#8 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

When looking into security for our minis, I was told that if you have an alarm fitted you should make that widely known, but it you have a tracker fitted, you should not. I think their thinking is that an alarm is a deterrent to hopefully deter thieves so you want them to know, whereas a tracker’s role only comes into play once the mini has been stolen. I guess the same principle would apply to having a cheap mobile phone in your mini as a way to track it. You wouldn’t want potential thieves to know that either.

If any of our minis are on the road, I now try to park them under a street lamp, in a place that makes it slightly harder to remove them, e.g. not on the end of a row and if I can, I try and park my daily driver up close to it. Also, I try not to leave a mini in the road in the same spot for more than two or three days. My neighbours think I’m a bit mad as I do go moving minis round. On the plus side, my neighbours (and those further down the road) do all know our minis and I think if they saw some with our minis other than us, I think they would either challenge them, let us know or call the Police.

#9 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

I speak with a little experience, as I had one stolen from outside my house a few years ago, and I'm pretty confident it was someone I knew too - was a member of a club at the time, and I'm convinced it was stole for a specific reason, parts mainly, as opposed to opportunistic theives.

Reason I'm convinced it was someone I know is because, as minis often as, it was a little sod to start on a cold morning / night. My mum woke me to say someone was breaking into my car, and I though to myself "they wont get it started", as I made my way down the stairs I heard the engine fire into life!! Now, you had to have the choke a quarter out, and at half throttle, that's the only way it'd start, and they managed. Plus I had a hidey switch under the dash rail that cut the coil off - yep, they knew that was there too!

#10 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

What is the best Alarm / immobiliser?
Still waiting on alarm suggestions people! But I like the idea of an alarm that can text you if its going off. Even if it will most likely be out of most peoples budget.

Would anyone ever sugggest two alarms? One decoy and another hidden away?

Any Hints and tips to keeping your car safe?
1) Dont allow anyone you dont know or trust to see into your garage.
2) Be careful who you trust
3) Always be aware of if your being followed (not just after shows) Its always worth going round the block a few times just to be sure! If you suspect anyone, drive to your closest police station.
4) If your car isnt garaged, consider a car cover?
5) Have a battery cut off switch concealed away like DisCarNect, dont discuss when your cut off switch is WITH ANYONE and dont make it obvious or easy to track by following the lead
6) Consider a GPS tracker
7) Anti Ram posts
8) Security light over looking mini and maybe garage
9) Security camera in garage over looking driveway
10) Dont park the minis in the same place all the time
11) Try to park in a middle parking space if parking in the road, and block the minis in with other cars if possible.
12) try and park the mini under a street lamp
13) Befriend your neighbours (not easy when the RC40 keeps them awake at night when you come home!) and see if they will keep an eye on your mini for you Neighbourhood watch
14) Keep the keys out of sight at home - thieves are breaking into houses purely for keys these days.
15) Wheel clamps
16) Handbrake and gear clamps, Steering wheel clamps

come on folks, lets see if we can make an ultimate security list of reccomended things to do rather than discuss the ins and out of if you should bother with a security light or an alarm. Every little helps

Edited by E.L.M.O, 28 September 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#11 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

What about a wheel clamp. They're hard to get off and a real visual deterrent.

You can even get ones from places like The Range for £20 that fit 12" wheels. Was thinking about getting one myself.

#12 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

14) Keep the keys out of sight at home - thieves are breaking into houses purely for keys these days.

#13 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

4 12v batteries wired into the door handles

#14 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ah now lets not forget, theives can sue for injuries sustained these days, so none of this "hydrolic spike under the drivers seat, disarmed by a hidey switch" business. Gotta keep it legal.

My resto project has a quick and easy theft deterant (not that ots presently going anywhere) - remove the gear change rod, simply twist the bayonette and voila! Helps if you leave it in gear first too :D

#15 Frisco

Frisco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

On the keys point. Keep them out of sight through a window yes but I wouldn't bring them up to bed with me.
If they are ready to break into the house while im upstairs asleep to get the keys I rather they take the car than come and wake me up with a bat to get them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users