64 replies to this topic

#31 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

It's a sad state of affairs, but it's true. I still stand by my claim: If someone wants your car badly enough, and I mean really wants it, it's gone.

My dad and my uncle are both mechanics dealing with (primarily) insurance referrals, including stolen/recovered, or recovered stolen vehicles. There was one story I was being told about a car (some sort of Merc IIRC) being parked on a locked driveway, heavy wrought iron gates about waist high, with ram posts on the other side, and the car had a wheel clamp and disclock. The theives stole a flatbed tipper recovery truck, reversed up to the gates and lowered the flatbed over the gates/posts, and used the winch to drag the car onto the flatbed.

Car had a tracker, so the flatbed and car were stoped in motion, repaired and returned to their respective owners.

#32 _mini1000_

_mini1000_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

i was thinking of a battery cut off switch but im going to run a wire from a switch into the coil wire.
the switch will be hidden so anytime i leave the car i flick the switch.
no power going to the coil = no start :)

#33 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

i was thinking of a battery cut off switch but im going to run a wire from a switch into the coil wire.
the switch will be hidden so anytime i leave the car i flick the switch.
no power going to the coil = no start :)

This is such a common security measure, along with the fuel pump cut off switch, that a proper car thief will take about 30 seconds to overcom them.

But if its just a guy out for a joy ride these switches can fool them for a while.

The problem these days is that the mini is becoming a car that is stolen to order. And these guys know what they are doing, they dont give in.

#34 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone, talk is good and this is a forum after all but I was really hoping for this thread to be more full of Ideas and Recommendations as per title rather than people just saying "ohh if they want it, its gone"

Come on people, Make recommendations and what proportions to take
What alarm is "best"

#35 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

I want a new alarm on the garage doors...can anyone reccomend one of those?

#36 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have an electric garage door thing. But I converted the remote to work on a new frequency. The standard remote comes preprogrammed and they are not very secure. I also added a coded entry system wired in parrallel with the release switch which allows me entry via a code and proximity fob. All linked into a Galaxy intruder system with flood lights and sounders. The remote stays in the car so I can open the door on approaching the garage...Its not fort knox, but should deter an opportunist thief. There are other devices connected which im not going to divulge on an open forum..

#37 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:10 PM

There are other devices connected which im not going to divulge on an open forum..

yeah thats fair enough. Prob wise people just "brain storm" ideas rather than list exactly what their car and property has in place!

Still really interested in what alarm system I should get. Especially as I have a pick up and not only do they seem to be more desirable, the sliding windows and concept of the door locks isnt very secure!

#38 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

There is no Best, same goes for car Audio (even more so), I mean without knowing you personal your criteria of 'best' how can anyone know.

There is the best Cheapest, there is the best Expensive, there are systems that text you or phone you, there are fog systems that fill up the car with smoke, there are trackers, there are systems with personal GPS tracking, etc etc...

Me I would get a well know local company that works for main dealers or top marques brands to fit a system they recommend, and a Tracker. But this might cost more than your car is worth...

#39 Benji17x

Benji17x

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

I pull the ignition fuse out every night, inside the car so u don't have to mess around under the bonnet or in the boot .... By no means fool proof but it'll do until I buy an alarm

#40 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

There is no Best, same goes for car Audio (even more so), I mean without knowing you personal your criteria of 'best' how can anyone know.

There is the best Cheapest, there is the best Expensive, there are systems that text you or phone you, there are fog systems that fill up the car with smoke, there are trackers, there are systems with personal GPS tracking, etc etc...

Me I would get a well know local company that works for main dealers or top marques brands to fit a system they recommend, and a Tracker. But this might cost more than your car is worth...

Your getting a little hung up on the word best and I don't really understand why. Its just a thread to brain storm
Recommendations.

Obviously it depends on people set up and criteria but what alarm do people already use or recommend?! Forget the word best was ever used if it gives you so much trouble in formulating a sensible reply. At least your third paragraph was of some use, so thanks for that.

I pull the ignition fuse out every night, inside the car so u don't have to mess around under the bonnet or in the boot .... By no means fool proof but it'll do until I buy an alarm

Yeah alot of people seem to be doing tricks like this... I dont think anything is fool proof as people have stated before but every little helps and thats certainly going to stick a spanner in their works if they want to drive it away. It would be interesting to learn the stats behind how many minis are stolen and driven away vs how many are stolen and put on a flat bed truck

Edited by E.L.M.O, 02 October 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#41 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

How about a cheap tracker with subscription.
Then one of these hidden away in the car somewhere.
http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=35269
Wire it with the main power feed to/from the battery going via it. If it's found by a potential thief, then they will need a key thing on them or they will have to re wire it to get it started.

It won't stop the car getting broken in to, but to IMO nothing will as people just ignore car alarms. If it does get towed then the tracker will do it's thing.

Just make sure the tracker has a power feed when the battery line is cut, otherwise the monitoring company will thing it's being nicked all the time.

Edited by Ruckus, 02 October 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#42 nafnaforiginal12

nafnaforiginal12

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Mini Cruisers

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Haha, I have my mam and dad's BMW X5 as a barracade, they can't take it off the drive with that in the way. LOL

#43 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Nick both ??

#44 oliver122

oliver122

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

or if they own one of these

Posted Image

#45 Benji17x

Benji17x

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Could just chain a rotweiler to the steering wheel : )

Only flaw in that plan is I wouldn't get back in my mini !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users