• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

A simple idea on any old car -

replace starter wire on ignition barrel with loud horn fitted inside car -
and have starter on another switch hidden
done this on several of my old cars

and if you are drowsy in the morning - this will wake you up quicker than a coffee ;0)

#17 Miniman1987

Miniman1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

I have read a lot of posts new and old about hidden switches and difficult ways to start th engine and so on to protect our pride and joys but surely you have to make MOT centres aware of these so they can move the car about as and when they need to?

#18 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

I have read a lot of posts new and old about hidden switches and difficult ways to start th engine and so on to protect our pride and joys but surely you have to make MOT centres aware of these so they can move the car about as and when they need to?

If going for mot ...
... make them aware ;0)
in the same way you would show them how an immobiliser / alarm works - if non standard

Its just a very cheap quick way of putting the opportunist off stealing the car

another thought -
an old mobile phone , with car charger and pay&go sim
hidden in car
the provider can track a mobile - provided it is in range of tower and switched on
the position can be triangulated (apparently)
cheaper than the real thing

Edited by sledgehammer, 28 September 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#19 Miniman1987

Miniman1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

If going for mot ...
... make them aware ;0)
in the same way you would show them how an immobiliser / alarm works - if non standard

Does this not defeat the purpose of having hidden switches etc though?

#20 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Generally, you don't get your car nicked by the MOT man...

#21 Miniman1987

Miniman1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Doesn't take much for him to make a passing comment in the pub one night about an interesting security switch he just saw in a mini

#22 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Doesn't take much for him to make a passing comment in the pub one night about an interesting security switch he just saw in a mini

You could fret all day about the possibility's - even a family member or a friend you gave a lift to last week could spill the beans
my comment was just a quick and cheap way of avoiding theft of a car
If someone is determined they will use a Hiab and straps , hi-vis , and fake court order
what positive ideas do you have ???

Edited by sledgehammer, 28 September 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#23 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

No reason why you have to tell them, I never leave my car at the MOT station I always wait and watch. And you could start it for them let them do those tests then move it for them when it needs moving.

Its my car at the end of the day, and I dont like other people driving it

#24 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

No reason why you have to tell them, I never leave my car at the MOT station I always wait and watch. And you could start it for them let them do those tests then move it for them when it needs moving.

Probably a good idea - as I have seen a few cars outside the mot bays of several garages , warming up with the keys in full view
and no one around

Edited by sledgehammer, 28 September 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#25 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

Probably a good idea - as I have seen a few cars outside the mot bays of several garages , warming up with the keys in full view
and no one around

Yeah it does bug me how these people treat other peoples cars. Ive also seen this and its discraceful, they just couldnt care less if they get stolen. That and I never trust that someone wont go for a lunch time spin (more likely to happen if I leave the 4.2 V8 Audi with them, a few people I know of with S8s and RS4s HAVE had the garages driving there car around town at night. The guy with the RS4 is off one of the Audi forums and they crashed his motor.

Hense why I refuse to leave my car at an MOT garage.

Edited by E.L.M.O, 29 September 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#26 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

i find it best to fit a fuel tap somewhere hidden so it will only get down the road before it dies thieves will just ditch it then

#27 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

The GPS trackers aren't that expensive nowadays. Search for "GSM GPS Tracker" on ebay and you'll get a basic one for sub £50 from a UK seller. Bump your budget closer to £100 and you'll get one with extra functions so with a bit of electrickery it could flash the lights or kill the engine.

The basic ones just keep track of their location and you call or text it from your mobile if the item they are attached to goes walkabout. They then send a text message back with their location and you use something like Google maps to translate that to a map.

The more advanced ones have a couple of codes you can text to them and extra connections so if you text the special codes they will do stuff like killing fuel pumps of flashing indicators. Some will even let you make a voice call and they will automatically pick up so you can hear what's happening inside the car or even talk to the pond-life.

They need a payg SIM but those can be had for free easy enough and you don't need to stick a massive amount of credit on them to enable the device to text the info back to you. They also need power so not so good for projects.

Iain

#28 Frisco

Frisco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

and no one around

Yeah it does bug me how these people treat other peoples cars. Ive also seen this and its discraceful, they just couldnt care less if they get stolen. That and I never trust that someone wont go for a lunch time spin (more likely to happen if I leave the 4.2 V8 Audi with them, a few people I know of with S8s and RS4s HAVE had the garages driving there car around town at night. The guy with the RS4 is off one of the Audi forums and they crashed his motor.

Hense why I refuse to leave my car at an MOT garage.

Happens all the time!

This bloke left his car in to a garage and when he got it back he checked the camera to find this testdrive

Edited by Frisco, 29 September 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#29 Se7enS1ns

Se7enS1ns

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

Fancy bit of kit that!!

#30 AndyMiniMad.

AndyMiniMad.

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Im 48 years old and have worked in the security industry for 30 years....in that time ive seen alarm systems go from dry cell single loop systems to the state of the art systems that will cost you a very pretty penny....And over this time has crime deminished? No, it has increased 10 fold....So whats the answer?Truthfully there isnt one...at the end of the day all you are doing is giving yourselves a wee bit of peace of mind. And satisfying the insurance companys requirements. Im sorry to have to tell you all but alarms are only as good as the people who either hear them going off...Or the authoritys who will respond to a call...
So what have I done to protect my Mini? Its in a locked garage with no access other than through the electrically controlled coded entry system Im the only code/ fob holder....The garage alarm is linked to a set of floods and the worlds loudest sounders...And I have a big sign telling the potential thief that my shotgun licence is valid and approved.

Im still expecting it to go missing one day....Its life in todays world...like it or not thieves are here to stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users