#811 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOG

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

You can turn it anyway you want but cooper s wheels are still hot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That red one is gorgeous!

and is that blue one on 12" cooper S reps? looks like it, and if so where can i find them!? :w00t:

#812 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

and is that blue one on 12" cooper S reps? looks like it, and if so where can i find them!? :w00t:

i'v a feeling them wheels on the blue 1 are imp steelies...i think!

#813 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Challenge accepted. :shades:

#814 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first ones a photoshop of cooper s rims stretched to be 12" size

Edited by Midas Mk1, 13 June 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#815 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Had a feeling it was... is there anyone you know who had cooper s wheels under a sportspack maybe with spacers ?

#816 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

...oh :(

#817 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

More info : http://www.barnfinds...-mini-cooper-s/

(Anyone knows what wheels ?Look a lot like this again : http://www.ebay.com/...7-/250600137541)

Edited by Driezzie, 13 June 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#818 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

I noticed the photoshop too, the rear doesn't look right and the reflection in the centre caps is 90 degrees out. You can see the reflection of the floor, on its side from which ever photo they came from

#819 jb93

jb93

TMF Noddy Badge holder officially.

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image

That's the first bit of stance in the whole thread :gimme: .... shame it's a Bini >_<

Edited by jb93, 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#820 joeyfinneran

joeyfinneran

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Local Club: imoc

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Wouldnt like to have my tyres on the rims like that 😥 anyway sure doesnt have camber like that not eat away at the tyre thread on one side ?

#821 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Wouldnt like to have my tyres on the rims like that �� anyway sure doesnt have camber like that not eat away at the tyre thread on one side ?

All it is is stretched tyres, making the rim lip look bigger/making it look like the tyres are incorrectly fitted. With most tyres stretching them is perfectly safe and legal, however some garages won't fit them as in their opinion they are unsafe. They can't possibly be unsafe as other wise professional drift racers wouldn't use them. It helps keep things legal by keeping the tread under the wheel arch, and it also reduces flex in the side walls. The camber probably won't wear the tyres out too quickly, not at that angle, any further maybe, but it will make them wear off axis where there isn't as much tread. Too much camber can also make the tyre's more likely to slide under heavy cornering. Camber does improve handling to a certain point, but too much of it kills the handling of the car as it will want to slide.

#822 Driezzie

Driezzie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Found this one on The Mini Forum Facebook group, dutch owner it seems. Pretty awesome !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Like this he means. It's a 5J tyre on a 8J wheel in the back.

#823 Minuki

Minuki

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Wouldnt like to have my tyres on the rims like that �� anyway sure doesnt have camber like that not eat away at the tyre thread on one side ?

All it is is stretched tyres, making the rim lip look bigger/making it look like the tyres are incorrectly fitted. With most tyres stretching them is perfectly safe and legal, however some garages won't fit them as in their opinion they are unsafe. They can't possibly be unsafe as other wise professional drift racers wouldn't use them. It helps keep things legal by keeping the tread under the wheel arch, and it also reduces flex in the side walls. The camber probably won't wear the tyres out too quickly, not at that angle, any further maybe, but it will make them wear off axis where there isn't as much tread. Too much camber can also make the tyre's more likely to slide under heavy cornering. Camber does improve handling to a certain point, but too much of it kills the handling of the car as it will want to slide.

Tyre stretching is pretty unsafe. Tyres flex for a reason and by eliminating the flex, the tyre could simply pop off the bead. Tyres come with a "Recommended Size" and if you're in an accident and your wheel/tyre combination is beyond the recomended size, the insuarnce company just won't pay out.

It's seen in drifting a lot, sometimes for style, but most of the time it's because the wider the tyre, the more the grip level varies, obviously. So you can swap different sizes around to help set up the car better.(Take a look at Vaughn Gitten Jnr's car, no stretch, if any) And sometimes it's simply because the driver can only afford the tyres in that size, you go through a lot on a weekend!

#824 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Some one on FB (the chap who runs rollin' on steelies) got pulled over and nearly lost his licence because of dodgy number plates and stretched tyres. It's a new legal thing they have brought out recently, because it isn't safe.

YetI

#825 PaddyShepherd

PaddyShepherd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Some one on FB (the chap who runs rollin' on steelies) got pulled over and nearly lost his licence because of dodgy number plates and stretched tyres. It's a new legal thing they have brought out recently, because it isn't safe.

YetI

It's legal as long as it's within the tyre's maximum recommendations, a friend of mine ran them on his caddy for ages and his car went through an mot station and passed with them on, and he got pulled and the police checked them but said they weren't stretched enough to be illegal. I'm not saying stupid stretch is legal or safe, because stretching too far obviously is. But some stores even sell wheels with stretched tyres (look on some of the huddersfield spares images for example), so it can't be that bad as long as it's not stretched too far.

The reason, i've heard, that drifters stretch is often so that there's even less tread to give too much grip. This is obviously on the lower performance classes where there isn't as much power to the wheels, so they need less grip. Some of the higher powered drifters run positive camber to give more grip as otherwise the cars would just spin.

Edited by PaddyShepherd, 14 June 2012 - 12:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users