#1 shawn smith

shawn smith

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

http://www.minispeed...&id=eng-1380c37

hey just wondering what your opinions are on this? i am saving up my pennies and this is what i'd like,but does anyone no if this engine will be driveable on the road? iv been told that to get about 130bhp from a naturally aspirated engine you basically have to go race spec and would therefore be undrivable in normal road going conditions! any opinions would be appreciated

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

will probs be ok but i reckon you can get it cheaper and more driveable. dont like the recon rebuilt gearbox though

#3 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

Have to agree with miniboo that you can get it cheaper, but i think you would be better off with a fast road engine rather than this. And remember 1380 is max bore so you wont have any meat left in the block to rebuild when it explodes....Would be cool on the road as long as you dont use it round town.

Personally id go for a fast road engine from somewhere like Morspeed. :w00t:

#4 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

135bhp on a "rebuilt" gearbox aint to great either in my opinion

#5 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

135bhp on a "rebuilt" gearbox aint to great either in my opinion

oops double post(flood control)

Edited by miniboo, 06 February 2006 - 06:57 PM.

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

I wouldn't like to push that 'claimed' power output through a standard set of transfer gears! Think of that poor ikkle transfer case! :gasp:

SC all the way baby! lol

I would personally go to Morspeed (as already said). Not so sure about Minispeed, Morspeed has good history! Loadsa peeps reckon he's great! :wink:

#7 shawn smith

shawn smith

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

ok dokey i'm just looking up morspeed as you read this :w00t:

#8 shawn smith

shawn smith

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

http://www.morspeed....sports_1380.htm

bit cheaper,anyone know the stats on this? 0-60mph and bhp etc etc

#9 Dave 1293

Dave 1293

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Isn't 100 bhp about the limit for standard transfer gears and gearbox?!?!

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:08 PM

Rip off, you can get a good engine for less than that from Paul Inch Engineering, a good box off our very own Guessworks and I can do a trick head for a good price too.

#11 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Rip off, you can get a good engine for less than that from Paul Inch Engineering, a good box off our very own Guessworks and I can do a trick head for a good price too.

the morespeed one, or minispeed, or both?

#12 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

........a good box off our very own Guessworks and I can do a trick head for a good price too.

Yeah, do the GW thing! I have :wink:

As for the transfer gears, alot of people recommend going to SC for anything over 100 donkeys, it aint just that though, they reduce power losses associated with the transfer process!

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

I'd go with either Paul Inch or Morspeed for great engines at non-rip off prices. There are a few other people in the game that make fantastic engines but you pay a bit for their reputation.

And for a road NA engine I'd look at limiting yourself to about 100bhp at the wheels. Above that you start having to use clutch and cams that just begin to take the enjoyment out of everyday driving.

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

My opinion, Minispeed are untrustworthy and not great engineers. I had an engine from them a couple of years ago and it lasted less than 10000 miles before it was undriveable. When we stripped it down it had leaded only valves fitted to unleaded seats (which doesn't work), the knackered original valve guides hadn't been replaced when the seats were replaced, the chambers weren't at the volume I'd asked for which screwed up my CR and the bottom end had more gorilla snot than metal in it. Lots of the external nuts bolts and washers were just odds and ends rather than the correct parts in the correct places. The 'recon' gearbox contained bearings that had been out of production for several years and showed no signs of even the most basic cleaning of the case. I'd hate to think what they class as a re-built gearbox.

I also have many other reasons for despising them but that's a whole other set of stories.

Incidentally, where in that ad does it say that that Minispeed engine produces 130 bhp? It says 'choice of camshaft' (not what I'd call a developed engine package) so it's output isn't fixed.

Also are we going to go through this again or what? Helical gears are stronger than straight cut gears, no arguments. Search the site about it.

It's the second gear syncro hub that can't cope over 90 lbft.

#15 shawn smith

shawn smith

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

thanks for the info dan will not be going with minispeed now! swaying towards morspeed me thinks :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users