33 replies to this topic

#1 buck

buck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Just got off a call with Adrian flux, trying to renew my insurance, I used to be a recruitment consultant and when going through the details I told him that I had now changed jobs and am now a self employed director.
Apparently now I am a "high risk" category and they are refusing to insure me!

I am 22 years old and have been working for 7 years of my life.
Every other insurance company wants 4K plus to insure me, I managed to get Adrian flux for 1700 and that was a stretch.

If I cant get insured by anyone else for a similar amount I am going to have to sell my car.
This is utter bull ****. I am so furious. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

#2 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

If you mean company director, you are not self employed. A limited liability company is a seperate legal entity that employs you even if you own the company. It is usually the self employed bit Insurance companies don't like.

#3 Giant Mini

Giant Mini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

im self employed.. no problem.

#4 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

4K??...............at 22 years of age...................what are you insuring?? a bloody supercar?

#5 buck

buck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

I wish I was a director of a company! Unfortunately I just direct videos and short films and I am a camera operator and editor as well.
But apparently going from my old desk job last year, which was a recruitment consultant ( stop gap for a year to earn some money for equipment and the mini) meant they now wont insure me!

#6 buck

buck

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Yeah I think the 4 K is because I have only had my license a year and this is insurance on my 94 1.3i

#7 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

strangely i've noticed insurers are biased to what your occupation is,if i was say an accounts director i got a recent quote at £600 something...if i said i was a engineer in property and construction you might as well double it

yes we are all risks on the road but what we do for a living does'nt make us less of a liability than another... should'nt we all be treated as equals regardless of financial status..race and background grrrrrr

i'd refrain from listing yourself as either of the following too

builder - likely to tell porkies and stop at the pub in the work van on way home
chef or kitchen staff- access alcohol
publican / bar staff - as above
mechanic- most likely to tamper with car and make undeclared modifications

#8 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

I wish I was a director of a company! Unfortunately I just direct videos and short films and I am a camera operator and editor as well.
But apparently going from my old desk job last year, which was a recruitment consultant ( stop gap for a year to earn some money for equipment and the mini) meant they now wont insure me!

Try describing yourself as a camera operator or editor and see what difference it makes.

#9 minidave1991-89

minidave1991-89

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

I had this problem recently aswell with my insurance. If i put i was a delivery driver my premium went up by nearly £700! So i just said i was a laundry worker..saved me a fortune! Definately try and reword your occupation mate..its a total joke i know, apparently there going to change the legislation in 2012/13 so its not like this.

£4k seems very steep though considering your only driving a 1.3i mini though..shop around is my only advice and put any parents on will lower the premium if you havent already done so..even if they wont drive the car at all

#10 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

you mean Director as in media direction, or "The Entertainment Industry"....

It's not the self employed bit which is hindering you....

#11 ShoutforJoy

ShoutforJoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+, Automatic Mini Register

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

Insurers calculate the risk of any occupation by looking at the claims history of others who do the same job. Unfortunately for you 'showbusiness' type careers do seem to attract poor drivers - this is why you have been penalised. Have you also asked for business insurance being self-employed?

By all means try to redefine your job - but if you do have to claim (even if it's not your fault) and they decide that you have mislead them you will find yourself in hot water.

#12 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:02 AM

Yeah I think the 4 K is because I have only had my license a year and this is insurance on my 94 1.3i

no chance mate i put down for me only having been driving for a month at 21 and added every mod con im having on my mini i even included a caron fibre roof i wanted and i was quoted 1800... there is a site in the back of the mini magazine which compares classic car insurence companys this is what i did.... try it you might get a better quote

#13 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

Like Guess-Works, I'm thinking its the industry you are in, rather than the your actual job role.

Are you directing films as in "entertainment", or are they training / educational? You may be able to tweak your industry to gain a benefit.

Try the link below to see if you can get some ideas that save money but keep you legal

http://www.moneysavi...nce-job-picker/

Good luck

Steve

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

try a PM to Dan is he is in a similar line of work and might be able to come up with some ideas

#15 SimonWicklow

SimonWicklow

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

4K seems way too high, last year(first year of driving) and i was 18 i was paying 900 third party, this years renewal has gone up to 1500 though, its a 94 1.3i aswell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users