Photo
- - - - -

The Urchin Diesel . . . . . The Start Of Something New ( Ish )

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

So, here i am at the start of something very different.

I now have a classic mini shell, that has had some work done, but for me ( as a pernickety man ) it needs fully stripped and done 100 %

So, The plan is - to strip it to the bare essentials, fit it with the lightest carbon and light weight metals.

Make it a tarmac terrorist - minus the neck wringing petrol.

Produce 200 bhp +
Rear Wheel drive......
Weight nothing ( or as close).
Look the mutts nuts
State diesel on it.
Tune it til it hurts.

then see what it can do against the petrol fraternity .

It might take some time to build and develop correctly .....

I love anything that is extra fast, i.e. - Ariel Atom,Caterham R500 super light , Mclaren f1 road car, Ascari, Noble m200 and anything else that is better than good.

I hopefully have the correct abilities to either do most of the work myself or find the correct expertise to reach my final goal of a absolutely rapid diesel mini that will be 100 % Ariel, Caterham contender.

I know that this all sounds great, but it will be a up hill struggle to say the least, no one ever got a great car by going with the flow or proving sceptics wrong....

One last thing, TAKE NOTE - Keyboard Warriors, please stay clear of this topic, unless you have decent crac and constructive help.

i'm aiming for something as fun as a 500 kilo caterham super 7, but quieter, just as many smiles per mile, but something to get people thinking ...... D I E S E L do nicely :)

Stay tuned for URCHIN DIESEL .....

Attached Files

#2 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

Looking forward to this, what engine you using ?

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Following this, good luck!

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

As above, what engine are you thinking of?

I assume it will also be rear engined..

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Looking forward to this, what engine you using ?

That's the key to it, if you're aiming for 500kg's then you're going to need a fairly small power unit and transmission, and if RWD, then I assume engine in the rear...

and diesel is all about torque, not power....

Good luck with the project, are you planning on making it road worthy or just track day use ?

#6 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Finally, i can get back on here. Just turned to the dark side with a Macbookpro - so i have a few things to adjust on the new toy.

The engine i have decided upon is a Honda 2.2 CTDI ( 140 b h p )

Given it is a front wheel driven engine, but i'm sure it can be converted to rear wheel drive... with a bit of ingenuity.

The main reason for this project it that everyone just uses petrols, whereas i LOVE diesel engines and imagine absolutely tearing a guy up that has a car that he bought from a showroom who is smug. Compared to a car that has been brought from dream to reality ????

I know which one i will go for...

I'm also toying with the idea of a bit of safety, ie. airbag or some kind of electronic wizardry that can make a classic a bit more protective of the occupant... (ME).

Unfortunately i work out with the UK, and haven't been able to begin the buying progress of other parts etc... i did enquire about a 2005 2.2 CTDI. i can get one for approx £500.... add that to a custom ECU,wiring loom etc... Heads up display, custom titanium wheels or something along these lines and the mini should be RAPID...

It's also going to be used as a sales pitch - to show what can be achieved ( i hope).

My dream job would be for working Gordon Murray Designs or Mclaren.... so you can see which direction i am going with the mini.

" No one ever made something special by sitting and listening to all the rules,allowing problems to hold them back"

" chase your dreams, no one else will"

#7 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

This is what i picture when the car is finished....

M44rkr

Edited by m44rkr, 13 December 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#8 RawlinsGTR

RawlinsGTR

Formally known as Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Just turned to the dark side with a Macbookpro

My dream job would be for working Gordon Murray Designs or Mclaren.... so you can see which direction i am going with the mini.

Naughty boy, turning to a Mac. :P

That's actually something I would LOVE to be doing when I'm older, too. Did you see the program on Mclaren a while ago, on the BBC?

Also, unfortunately, I can't actually see what you picture. :P

But good luck!

#9 j-b_2009

j-b_2009

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

sounds like a long project! plenty of pictures please :D

#10 Mincento

Mincento

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

got to say, nice idea, but wrong engine, use a 1.9DTH out of a Vauxhall SRi 150 CDTi 151bhp standard and with just a DTUK green tuning box they produce a consistent 199bhp

the honda is lower to start with and only boxes to 165bhp and is 0.3cc bigger for ******* all bennefit

#11 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

The engine choice is for a very good reason .....

If you've ever had a 2.2 CTDI you will realise that -

1 - a petrol revs pretty quick in comparison to a normal Diesel engine....
2 - The Honda 2.2 engine is different.... in the fact that is a redesigned engine in that it doesn't have the same mass and accelerations as a standard Diesel - it is actually somewhere above a standard Diesel and will actually increase in revs slightly quicker and closer to that of a petrol ( obviously not as quick).

A Honda unit to me will always be better than a vauxhall in the fact that the engine is built _ ( in my opinion) to a better standard and the technology is better ...

" here is why "

There is, says Honda's engine man in charge of the Accord i-CTDi programme, little reason why a diesel engine can't be made to rev to the stratospheric heights of a typical Honda V-TEC petrol engine. But Kenichi Hagahiro adds that there's also little point, because it would negate a diesel's key advantages of economy and low-speed torque.

It's nevertheless hard to reconcile Hagahiro the V-TEC expert with Hagahiro the diesel man. Especially as he hates diesels. If Honda had to have one - and Honda does because Europe buys so many of the things - then it would have to be a diesel imbued with as much Honda-ness as possible.
Which is why this new 2.2-litre, 16-valve, twin-cam, direct-injection, common-rail turbodiesel with twin balancer shafts does things a little differently from most. It had to do the usual diesel things, but it also had to be very refined (class best would be good) and have the accelerator response of a Civic Type-R. Hmm, tricky.
Economy is 52.3mpg on the official combined test cycle, so that's OK. Torque is 251lb ft, which is more than OK - it tops the class. Power is 140bhp, which will do. But figures paint but one corner of the picture. You need to drive this i-CTDi to appreciate why it could be the most impressive diesel yet.
It starts. It idles, with no detectable vibro-massage and hardly any diesel 'jingle-jangle', as Honda calls it, just a bit more of a tick in the tickover. It moves off, it accelerates, it cruises with no thrum or transmitted tingle; just a four-cylinder hum slightly deeper than a petrol engine's and a gentle whine overlaying the soundtrack. That whine maybe shouldn't be there, but it adds aural character and makes you even less aware of the compression-ignition that's going on. It's one sweet engine.
It pulls from about 800rpm to 5000rpm without protest or harshness. The accelerator response pauses a little at low speeds pre-boost, but then the boost builds so progressively, so mechanically that there's no sense of inertia, hysteresis, the rubber-band effect, call it what you will. This also means that you don't get the torque-thwack of a Golf TDI PD 150, say, but the acceleration is just as insistent and there's that extra rev-range to exploit. For the record, 0-62mph comes in 9.4sec, max speed is 131mph.
Many of the newest diesels have six-speed gearboxes both for relaxed cruising and to mask the narrow torque-band, but the Honda makes do with five, lopes along motorways and is never caught gasping. With the turbo awake the accelerator response really is crisp, keen and linear.
No Honda engine is easier to exploit; it's always on the pull, helping you make the most of what is the best combination of sharp, fluid, interactive handling and supple ride in the class. I spent a while driving most of my favourite local roads, tight and twisty, fast and open, and it was one of the most harmonious, most complete drives I've had all year. It just gelled. I've since been enthusing about this engine to every car-literate person I've met. This is the best Accord, no question.
So, how? Compression, or the lack of, is the key. Most diesels have a compression ratio of around 20:1, but this one runs at 16.7:1. This improves both refinement and economy under gentle running, because there's less resistance to the pistons' movements (a diesel is always gulping an excess of air, which needs to be compressed). When more torque is needed, the variable-nozzle quick-response turbo obliges.
Other niceties are a dual-mass flywheel for further vibration damping, cooled exhaust-gas recirculation to reduce nitrogen oxides (it's Euro 4 emissions-compliant with no diesel tax penalty) and injectors with just one pre-squirt before the main one, even though other car-makers now use several squirts to smooth out the combustion shock. Why not Honda? 'We've got the results we want, and the injectors last longer.'
And, finally, there are the continuously variable swirl control valves in four out of the eight inlet tracts. When closed, the air entering the cylinders via the remaining ports sets up a swirl into whose vortex a small squirt of fuel can stay concentrated enough to combust. Result: very economical light-load running. The valves open as torque demands rise, but now there's more fuel so it doesn't matter that the swirling stops.
For me it is like comparing normal - with something a bit better ???
Cheers for the recommendation. But i had a civic with the engine and it got 55mpg + always. made 73mpg at times and was the quietest diesel for its year available.
A 2.2 Diesel engine is oversized for me at 140 BHP .... so if i make it 215 or something .. it should be a nice engine to work...

M44rkr

#12 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:18 AM

....and wake up.

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I think the idea of a diesel Mini is just great! I have been thinking, dreaming and a little bit of planning of such a thing for a while now. But I don't need as much power as you, and want the car to look just like a normal Mini.

I think that means a 3 cylinder diesel, which would be VW Polo or Hyundai Getz/Kia Picanto, because a 4 cylinder with end-on gearbox would be too wide and it would be impossible to avoid external mods. And, I think 80mpg is just about feasible, and around 70 to 80 bhp.

My current car is a Ford S-Max 2.2 TDCi, 175bhp and 420Nm torque, but sadly the engine will not fit in a Mini!

Hopefully I will get my project underway late next year once other vital things like house renovation are finished. Meanwhile I wish you every success, and will follow your project with keen interest.

#14 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

....and wake up.

The attention is in the detail, " waking up with said face in cornflakes won't impress the woman " - that's the difference between a Petrol/DIESEL head and a point and shoot Fiat panda 699cc driver... not that i assume anything... :)

tiger99

Sounds like a good plan, i did consider a 1.4 HDI peugeot unit for a while but i want something that will be all or nothing as a good first project.

I'm still unsure if i can get it looking minimal " wolf in sheep's clothing" and still tear the usual suspects up ??
who knows.

Cheers :)

#15 George929

George929

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

1.9 tdi VW unit all the way hardley ever go wrong small for a diesel and 200bhp is easy with a remap, exhaust, filter easy . and they do like 70mpg UNREAL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users