Photo
- - - - -

The Urchin Diesel . . . . . The Start Of Something New ( Ish )

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

My 1.9tdi vw lump won't do 70mpg no matter how carefully I drive it, 55mpg is a much more realistic figure!

Obviously a mini may be lighter so that would improve things a bit, but if you're going to the effort of producing a 200 bhp diesel mini you're going to want to get your foot down which may reduce economy further!

#17 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

My 1.9tdi vw lump won't do 70mpg no matter how carefully I drive it, 55mpg is a much more realistic figure!

Obviously a mini may be lighter so that would improve things a bit, but if you're going to the effort of producing a 200 bhp diesel mini you're going to want to get your foot down which may reduce economy further!

Yeah, i'm going for something that i could drive wherever really and get good miles per gallon when i fancy cruising around.

I haven been known to do 15 - 26,000 miles per year and have only had 4 or 5 petrols and nearly double diesels...

Hopefully i can get the engine when i get back home. So get some pictures up shortly..

#18 George929

George929

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

just been down to london in my mums passat 1.9 130. and its just averaged 75 MPG in a passat ! was cruzing at 75 most of the way. smooth drivings what you want

#19 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

Sure the computers not broken??!!

My 115bhp Golf TDi did 68mpg average on a 180 mile trip so in a Mini it should be easy!!!

#20 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

So are you planning front engined on a rear wheel drive box?
If so what about the honda crv 4x4 gearbox and rear diff. Will your engine mate to that?
You will need to make a new exhaust/prop tunnel and probably have to find some space cutting into the floor and bulkhead very do-able tho:

Posted Image

Edited by Alburglar, 30 December 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#21 George929

George929

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

My 115bhp Golf TDi did 68mpg average on a 180 mile trip so in a Mini it should be easy!!!

nope theres not a problem on it, is yours a PD or common rail ??? mines a PD

#22 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

So are you planning front engined on a rear wheel drive box?
If so what about the honda crv 4x4 gearbox and rear diff. Will your engine mate to that?
You will need to make a new exhaust/prop tunnel and probably have to find some space cutting into the floor and bulkhead very do-able tho:

The original plan is to mount the engine in the front sub frame, but if i can then i might see about mounting it in the rear.

But i'm not sure how much hassle this might end up being ... So ??

Once i have the engine and a clearer plan of attack i will start posting progress.

Sooner i start - sooner it gets to finish... :)

m44rkr

#23 malynch27

malynch27

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sounds like an awesome project fella. Once mine is finished and on the road the engine will be next so will be interested to see how this pans out. Diesels are the way forward if you ask me. Good luck.

#24 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

What about a honda crv diesel? couple that with the 4wd system out of them and have a 4wd turbo diesel mini?

OR could always go dub, get either the passat or golf tdi engines, the 4 motion running gear out of a tdi car and again have a 4wd tdi mini :)

#25 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

A PD, they didn't do a 115bhp pump injector and common rail is only on the very latest Golfs!

My mates 130bhp Passat TDi was always around 5-10mpg lower lower than mine which makes sense considering the weight/size of car...

#26 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Well, hopefully get into the car this week.

thinking i can get the interior stripped and both subframes out, then see how it looks.

Going to remove everything but the shell body & panels, i.e.- brake pipes,wiring the lot.

Atleast then i will have a shell to get in order and a floorpan to modify for exhaust/ engine placement.

Talking of the engine, i'm sticking with the Honda 2.2 cdti ( good engine, + uprated clutch,remapped, lightened parts and some adjustments).

still to plan the layout as yet, so the engine might go in the front or back...... hmmm, its going in whatever to be honest, ;)

So by the end of next week i (fingers crossed) should have a Honda lump to post up for the before / after ( even if it might be a while).

#27 George929

George929

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

A PD, they didn't do a 115bhp pump injector and common rail is only on the very latest Golfs!

My mates 130bhp Passat TDi was always around 5-10mpg lower lower than mine which makes sense considering the weight/size of car...

they made a common rail 1.9 in the mk4 the 90 and 105 where common rail

#28 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

No they weren't!!

#29 m44rkr

m44rkr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

if you want to sit and yap about engines,
make a post and do it then please,

this isn't for bitching and handbags .... :)

This is for progress on my project and not where you dictate what is what .... Thanks

Edited by m44rkr, 13 January 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#30 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

your never gonna get it too be 500 kilos with a diesil engines are really heavy id be lucky if mine weights that i i tend to agree vw over honda any day 1.9 not 2.0 though as the 2.0 got lots of problems but pd is not 200bhp 200 tourques easys yes but take abit to get 200bhp out off it good luck lol with this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users