384 replies to this topic

#1 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Well it's official, my Monte Carlo Kit was shipped yesterday. Due to arrive here in Oregon the end of the month. I will be using a turbo charged Hayabusa with a Pingle Elec. shift.
Here's a picture of the car just before they crated it.

Attached Files

#2 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

This is the Pingle shift kit I will be using. Instead of air like the Gear Tronic's, it's elec. and a whole lot cheaper. $800 US. Grant makes a quick release steering wheel complete with the two shift buttons.

#3 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

I got my turbo kit from a Company called "Mr Turbo". I've been adding it to the engine while waiting for the kit to come. Boost is adjustable from 8 to 18 lbs. I'll start out at 8. I can run US pump gas at 8. I'm also using a water to air intercooler. This picture shows one possible placement of the intercooler, but I have more parts coming to try something maybe better.

I also added a spacer under the cylinders to lower the comp. ratio and stiffer valve springs.

Attached Files

• Attached File  6.jpg   75.44K   278 downloads

Edited by Birdman, 13 December 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

The air to water intercooler uses a separate radiator for cooling, with just a small elec circulation pump.
A custom fit engine radiator will go next to this one, as well as an oil cooler.

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.jpg   104.17K   53 downloads

Edited by Birdman, 13 December 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#5 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

looking sweet, did z-cars build the engine too?... some size turbo on it :D

#6 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

looking sweet, did z-cars build the engine too?... some size turbo on it :D

No, I got the engine from a bike here in the US that was being parted out. Supposed to have 12,000 miles on it. I took it to the local Suzuki shop to have the spacer and valve springs added and they checked it all over and gave it a clean bill of health.

#7 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Awesome - that things gonna fly, good luck with build.

#8 Rogue Se7ens

Rogue Se7ens

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Very cool, look forward to seeing more.

#9 M_Brown_Mini

M_Brown_Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Looks cool, hope the build goes well.

What sort of performance figures are you expecting?
0-60mph
Top Speed
BHP

#10 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

Looks cool, hope the build goes well.

What sort of performance figures are you expecting?
0-60mph
Top Speed
BHP

I don't know for sure what the top end will be, I have no idea. Chris, the owner of Z-Cars is running more boost than I will be (385 hp) I figure my boost will make about 285 hp. He claims 0 to 60 times in the low 2s. With hot slicks I'm hoping to be under 3.

#11 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

Well the turbo is mounted and I've gone as far with the engine as I can with out it being in the frame. The black 90 degree hose coming off the turbo will be replaced with a blue one as soon as it comes in.

Edited by Birdman, 21 February 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#12 felixy69

felixy69

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

sick man !! where are u planning to racing this ?

#13 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

sick man !! where are u planning to racing this ?

I auto cross every month with the Central oregon AutoX club at Hoodoo Ski resort parking lot. Also there is Oregon Raceway park, at grass Valley, about an hour away. I want to start racing there. I have been there with my old Mini and loved it.

http://oregonraceway.com/

#14 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hey Birdman - All of the below you may have already considered but I thought I'd post them just incase you hadnt, also not wanting to teach how to suck eggs either (I hope you use that saying over the pond or I might seem bit weird)...

Might I suggest that even though you have the intercooler in the mix you might want to feed the turbo with as cooler air as possible (utilising a cold air feed from a side scoop or other) rather than engine bay hot air.

Secondly I suggest using a countercurrent flow of water in the I/C, flowing the water against the flow of the air - its proven to be a more effective way of cooling than flowing the same way. It might prove a bit of a pain with regards to getting air out of the system though with the angle of the I/C.

I am looking forward to your updates.

#15 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hey Birdman - All of the below you may have already considered but I thought I'd post them just incase you hadnt, also not wanting to teach how to suck eggs either (I hope you use that saying over the pond or I might seem bit weird)...

Might I suggest that even though you have the intercooler in the mix you might want to feed the turbo with as cooler air as possible (utilising a cold air feed from a side scoop or other) rather than engine bay hot air.

Secondly I suggest using a countercurrent flow of water in the I/C, flowing the water against the flow of the air - its proven to be a more effective way of cooling than flowing the same way. It might prove a bit of a pain with regards to getting air out of the system though with the angle of the I/C.

I am looking forward to your updates.

Thanks for the tips. I had planned on extending the air intake to some cooler location, not sure where yet. I just stuck the air cleaner on for the sake of the picture.
Now the second tip, counter current water flow. Very good idea and something I can easily do as the intercooler is reversible. It still would have some trapped air but much better than the way it is now. I'll post a picture later when I get my other blue hose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users