#16 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Now the second tip, counter current water flow. Very good idea and something I can easily do as the intercooler is reversible. It still would have some trapped air but much better than the way it is now. I'll post a picture later when I get my other blue hose.

I would leave the I/C as is - turn the top 90deg fitting round 180deg so it faces upwards and feed the water in that way, over time the trapped air will make its way out but it will probably be when the coolant system is at rest. Probably a good idea to put the expansion tank just before the I/C using a tee in the piping, with the pump at the lowest point of the system. See sketch below(styled in a homage to Alburglar - heh heh heh). In an ideal situation you'd go from pump - pass through the I/C then into the Exp Tank (swirl pot type) but doing it this way as the water passes through the tee it will release any trapped air into the exp tank and as stated before when the system is at rest air can backflow into the exp tank. My 2cents...

Posted Image

Edited by cptkirk, 16 December 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#17 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Looks like a doable idea, thanks for the drawing.

#18 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Nice diagram!

#19 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

That was an easy fix. I just drilled, taped, and installed a petcock in the upper most part of the exchanger where I can bleed the air off.

#20 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:32 AM

I made a shift arm and mount for my Pingle shifter today. Not bad for an old fart with just hand tools.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   59.8K   123 downloads

#21 ONGOLDYPOND

ONGOLDYPOND

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Your going to have lots of fun.
You remind Me of somebody I know from another hobby.

#22 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Your going to have lots of fun.
You remind Me of somebody I know from another hobby.

I think I know him also.

#23 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

I've been tracking the container ship carrying my Monte Carlo kit. It just pulled into New York this morning. Now my car has to come clear across America, by train I assume. I think by truck would be to slow as it's supposed to be here to me Friday.

#24 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Only a few more days to wait ! i bet you're excited :D :D

#25 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Only a few more days to wait ! i bet you're excited :D :D

You bet I am, the wait is killing me.

#26 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Not to be a killjoy, but did you do anything to the Busa bottom end or pistons? I wouldn't push much over 220BHP or so without new rods and lower compression pistons...Busa stock rods are a real week point, and the stock piston compression ratio will cause detonation with pump gas at just a few PSI.

Looks like a race is on between you and I now by the way!

Cheers,

Aric

#27 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Not to be a killjoy, but did you do anything to the Busa bottom end or pistons? I wouldn't push much over 220BHP or so without new rods and lower compression pistons...Busa stock rods are a real week point, and the stock piston compression ratio will cause detonation with pump gas at just a few PSI.

Looks like a race is on between you and I now by the way!

Cheers,

Aric

Your not being a killjoy, I appreciate any help from anyone. Esp if it saves me some trouble down the road. There seams to be conflicting info going around. I'm not sure who to believe. The company that made my turbo kit told me the crank, rods, and pistons were good for anything I wanted to throw at it. They have one engine running 20+ lbs of boost and nitros making 565 hp with out any problems. I did put a spacer under the cylinders to lower the compression ratio and swapped the valve springs for stiffer ones, and plan on keeping the boost at 8 lbs so I can stick with pump gas. So hopefully that won't be to bad.

#28 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

The connecting rods will be your weak link, along with oiling. What are you planning on running as far as as an oiling system? The hayabusa oiling system is marginal at stock HP - at a minimum I'd run an overdrive pump gear and higher limit pressure regulator. I would also either run either a swing arm flat pan like the Koenig ones, or a dry sump if you can afford it. If your Monte runs the same engine install height as mine you're not going to be able to run a stock pan anyway - it will almost be dragging the ground

If you added a cylinder head spacer, you're probably around 9 to 9.5:1 compression, so the pistons will likely be fine, for 8lbs boost, and you MAY do ok with the stock rods at that same pressure, but to be honest, 12K on a Hayabusa engine probably warrants at least a look see to make sure everything is still up to snuff for adding boost. While you're in there, swap out the stock rods for some Carillo H Beams!

If you want to talk Hayabusas, I recommend Downs Engineering (www.downsengineering.com) in Sonoma CA - Mike Downs is building and tuning my engine and has built well over 500 Hayabusa motors at this point, both N/A and turbo.

by the way, what engine management system will you be running?

#29 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

I just went through your entire build Aric. Awesome work your doing. I love the way you installed your Pingle actuator. I'm going to switch mine to that way also.

So are you in Detroit? Not that far from Central Oregon. BG.

OK, 1st I need to say I know nothing about Hayabusa motors. This is the 1st one I have ever had. But my past life is full of cars and racing so that part is nothing new to me.

I have been using Terry Kizer at "Mr Turbo" as my engine guidance. He has been building custom turbo kits for 30 years and has don many Hayabusa set-ups. So for now I'll follow his recommendations.

I had my local Suzuki shop pull the engine down, add the cylinder spacer and valve springs, and check everything over. They gave it a clean billof health.

We have talked about a different oil sump but haven't made any choices yet.

Here's a picture of the power commander I will be using. Terry pre-programed it with the correct map for the turbo. I am lucky to have a friend and neighbor in our local auto cross club that is a computer ECU expert. I have 3 other fuel injection cars. My 1380 A+ Mini (The Lunatic) built by 7 Enterprizes with a MED 7 port cross flow head and 4 port injection. (pictured) My 94 chev pick up with a 383 stroker and Edelbrock Pro Flo XT which Andy tuned, and my 49 chev 454 with another Edelbrock Pro Flo XT. (also pictured)

The only thing in my life that isn't injected is my 427 AC Cobra.

Thanks again for the help, I'm sure I'll be picking your brain some more.

Attached Files

• Attached File  10.jpg   98.87K   17 downloads
  • Attached File  77.jpg   101.95K   56 downloads
  • Attached File  11.jpg   111.71K   64 downloads

#30 Birdman

Birdman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

I just ordered my Dash2 Display. Al, the US dealer is supplying it with boost, water temp, and oil press. sending units. Also he his pre-programing it for my shift points so all I'll have to do is calibrate the spedo.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users