Photo
- - - - -

The Rebuild - Track Orientated This Time.

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#16 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Looking really good, what is the machined plate for which you had made, link didn't seem to work? Wheels look absolutely class, what are they? Big fan of the swaged cross member... and all things swaged as you know!

Most importantly, where the hell did you get your rear view mirror?! Really like them but never seen them for sale. We're talking about making one as the cross bar running along the top of the windscreen will be curved in plan and have some bends in it in elevation.

All the best.

Al

#17 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hmmm, the site used to work? Anyway, it's a baseplate for my Pulsar plenum and ITB's that I have. No pic's of that unfortunately but have a quick search on the internet and see what the kit car boys are doing with them.

The wheels are Exaction wheels that have been split by Carl Austen at Force racing. Have a look on his site. He has some lovely exotic bits and pieces that might take your fancy.

Ahhhhh, the mirror. It's a 5 panel Wink mirror. The only place you can get them is the states so when someone from another forum imported a batch, I had to get my hands on one. I think they're used on golf carts over there.

King

#18 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Yep, have misspent much time on carl's site, some incredible stuff, I always find it hard to believe that the mini following results in such things. Got my wheels from him, was one of the most important and easiest decisions of the whole project. It's not often that something turns up, having looked at pictures for so long, and it's actually better in real life but the wheels are, 8" wide when you measure the rims!

Off to import a golf cart.

Al

#19 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yea, I found that his pictures don't do his products much justice. I went to see him at his stand at castle coombe last year and I was dribbling around for about half an hour.

Quite a few people have asked about the mirror. I may do a little investigating and seeing if its worth importing a batch. But then again I do like to be unique and I already have one. I may look into it and see if it is worth doing.

King

Edited by kcchan, 25 February 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#20 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Couple more goodies:

Posted Image

Posted Image

On a slight quest for lightness, my wallet is slowly becoming lighter too!

King

#21 Alan Carruthers

Alan Carruthers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Beautiful

#22 jackmason

jackmason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Lush!

#23 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Right, some actual assembly!

Managed to hunt down a guy on ebay who had genuine timken rear wheel bearings and grease caps (everywhere seems to be sold out) for £15 a side!

So with that, I built up my rear hubs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

With a drum:

Posted Image

It looks like there won't be enough thread for my wheels and nuts but the studs aren't pulled through fully yet. They were just tapped in with hammer.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll find some other little bits to do instead of my dissertation.

King

#24 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Looks great!

Have you got anymore pictures of that pedal box? I've been looking at the wilwood one and the allspeed one but they are rather expensive!

#25 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

The holes in the pedal box will sit on the solid steel strip that the old one bolts too so you can drill and tap straight into that (Not sure if the minus has that actually). The top of the pedal box needs a little grinding for it to fit in the cross member hole. The lower steering column spline might be a little tight though.

Oh, I'm also going to tie it into the dash bar if I ever get to that stage

These are the only other pics I could find:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I reposted the pics that were lost this morning but they've disappeared again. Boo hackers, boo. I'll repost them when I get home.

Had some custom wheel nuts made and they came this morning:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also got a clear cambelt cover and some Supra Injectors (no photo):
Posted Image

Also some new pieces for a sub project:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Nearly forgot, I bought some of these too:
Posted Image

Someone wanted some pics of my wheels so I may as well put them on here too:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right, bought some brakes and they sent me the wrong callipers:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent them back and the postman brought me these this morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Much better....

Edited by kcchan, 19 April 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#26 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Rebuilt some front hubs tonight but I don't know how deep the rear seal needs to sit. Does it seat against the bearing?

Edited by kcchan, 09 May 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#27 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for that. It looks good where was it from?

I'm guessing you mean the bit under the bulkhead crossmember? I've got a reinforced bit under there.

I'm not sure if it would work to well with my steering colum as thats going to be dropped considerably and could fowl on those pedals, unless i fit some UJ's. Have you heard of JB fabrication? He's looking into building some mini specific pedal boxes.

Your wheels look very nice!

#28 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Where was the pedal box from? It was unused from Ebay but they can be bought from Rallydesign.

I'll be using the end of the original mini column with UJ's. Yea I know Jon, I bought quite a few bits from him plus I met him when they came down for my On The Job shoot.

I might have a couple more pictures at the end of the week. Got exam at the moment so revising is eating up a lot of my time.

#29 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Did a test fit of my brakes in the wheels and it's very tight. I don't know where any wheel weights are going to go if I need any. Actually, clip ons look like they'll be fine.

Also those are allegro CV's. I'll get some shafts machined when the time comes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kcchan, 11 May 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#30 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Right, I'm home for a few days so I've done a couple of bits and bobs.

Cam cover ready for AN fittings to be welded on:
Posted Image

The rear hub nuts were properly stuck on so I ended up grinding away at them and smacking them with a chisel. Finally got them off in the end.
Rear radius arms built up with SC hubs and lightened superfins:
Posted Image

Lockwired my steering arm bolts too:
Posted Image
It's quite satisfying to do when it goes right.

Want to have my rear subframe built up this week but snapped/stuck bolts are holding me back. Any ideas, I've tried welding nuts onto the ends but I can't get any good penetration and they keep snapping at the welds. Tried drilling a hole into some 2mm steel and welding them together but again can't get good enough penetration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users