133 replies to this topic

#46 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

I have genuinely no idea what just happened there. Let me see if I can sift through it all and bring it back to a normal reply....

#47 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

S2000. Light, great handling, easy and cheap to tune, VTEC sheer epic engine and can get a minter for £6k. Bargain!

#48 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

Sorry for the late reply, left work at 2 with some of the directors and spent most of the afternoon in the local boozer up town on the company. Wasnt too shoddy.

Anyways!!! Back to business...

I think all the stuff you hear about the Porkers going tits up is scare mongering mostly. You only really hear about it because the 95% odd people who've never had a problem with their car in its lifetime dont make a song and dance about it. As soon as something does go wrong though, there is hell to pay.

TVR Chimaera is something else I was looking into so will have to delve deeper into those possibilities.

As much as people say TTs are hairdressers cars, a nicely modified version I think looks decidedly tasty - standard however...cut & blowdry please.

Boxster is still definitely up there and will have to have a couple of test drives nearer the time the funds become free in the new year.

Im SO tempted by a 911 but as people rightly point out, they're expensive cars (and Porkers in general) and one for under £10k will have both over 100k on the clock and more than likely will need a large service somewhere in the near future which will cost an arm and a leg...

The question is, is the risk worth the reward for a 911 or do I settle for something lesser like the Boxster.

Then my mind asks me, wheres the grunt coming from?? - the flat 6 of Porkers is whimper in comparison to the roar of the V6 in the 350z or the V8 of the TVR.

*Such are the troubles of a first world 22 year old

And Im definitely still not thinking about a Jaaaag (clarkson-esque) - too caddish and pompous for me.

ANON - Looks are undoubtedly key to my next car, and as much as I do agree the Jaaaag does have a nice roar and is a very good car, for a young bloke, it just doesnt cut it at the dubstep raves - more the private gentlemens clubs ill be frequenting in a couple of decades... lol

#49 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

and there we go

#50 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Maybe a Marcos classic or modern they basically look the same;

http://pistonheads.c...les/3503005.htm a tad over the 10k but they do com up!

Personally i would going for an elise!

#51 R.S.P

R.S.P

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Durham mini club

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

Just one point when I bought my 911 I was going to buy a TVR but I went with the 911 as the TVR needs to be serviced every 4000 miles compared to the 911 12000 miles, and if you dont think the flat 6 of a 911 doesnt sound good you have obviously never been in one when its been given some.

Edited by R.S.P, 31 December 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#52 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

Personally i would going for an elise!

I don't think an Elise is really a comfortable car. they're fun, like a go-cart, but only Mario drives a go-kart as his daily!

They give me a really sore back after a while and you feel every single stone you hit.

#53 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

A TVR is really just a toy for the weekends, they look and sound very nice but you wouldn't want to rely on one.

#54 RawlinsGTR

RawlinsGTR

Formally known as Dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hang on; we're complaining about the comfort of some of the two seaters mentioned when we all drive minis!! :D

Only two I've ever been in are the TVR and Elise. Both fun, quite noisy (but not as intrustively noisy as my mini), and quite bumpy. But I still reckon they're comfortable to sit in.

#55 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Cmon guys, your doing it all wrong, MG Midget of course!

I've been thinking about what car I'd buy and I've come to the conclusion that the only car mentioned that I'd buy, is the midget!

Obviously it's not modern like the OP asked for, but it's soooo much better than any modern car. They're just cute and fun. Midget's are pretty much perfection in my eyes. they also make a cute sound, mmmm :wub:

Edited by JustSteve, 31 December 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#56 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

Honda S2000

#57 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

A TVR being a plaything for the weekends isn't going to be a major problem given I don't drive anywhere anytime other than at the weekends - and then its only to the gym/shops or mates houses.

So long as it can gladly accept 3000 miles a year pootling/blasting about town then its done its job.

Having also considered TVR's generally, i'm quite taken with the Tamora - priced over my £10k budget but a decent haggle and I reckon the right one could come in just on budget by the pound. They're a bit of an odd looking car but smaller than the Chimaera which is a positive in my eyes

Having driven minis since I turned passed my test, as much as I would love something which gives the same white knuckle ride as a mini, feeling every stone on the road and taking corners like the car is on rails, I really fancy something with a bit of an air of luxury

Ideally I want something to both pose in and drive hard - much like a mini. People look when you go by because its a rarity of sorts either looks wise, or engine bark but it is also enjoyable to drive.

I was initially quite taken by the 350z but its plastic interior and cabin noise when driven just doesn't appeal to me that much for the money it costs. To its credit the engine has a lovely warm growl. It also drinks petrol like its going out of fashion.

Boxster - Good looks, good engine, good reputation, but subdued in every department with no real stand out features or qualities either looks or performance wise. Also costs oodles to maintain if something goes wrong but reliable at the same time. An all round contender.

911 - Has to be one of my favourites given its reputation, looks and performance. Issues that stick in the mind are the inevitably high mileage and age combo on top of servicing and repair costs should something go tits up.

Chimaera - A hot favourite. Good looks, lovely engine noise, powerful engine, luxurious interior - not too expensive when things go wrong because they're made of all sorts so parts are easy to come by. AND decent fuel return.

Elise & VX200 I think are too similar hardcore to be honest. Too low, not real storage or luxuries...

#58 j-b_2009

j-b_2009

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

the good thing is, theres plenty of choice for the type of car and price range your looking at... there isnt going to be a huge gulf in standard performance so its going to come down to your personal choice. good luck!

#59 daviedevil

daviedevil

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: BD developments

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

If your interested in the TVR bud then the Griffith 4.3 big valve is what you want. Same chassis as the chim but slightly better looking shape and being the pre cat car more power and better v8 noise. After spending 7 years druelling over then in the factory when I worked there they win hands down for me and the service is easy enough

#60 MINI WILL

MINI WILL

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Local Club: Let Me Do My Thang

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

How about some jap powered stuff plenty of bang for buck!

NISSAN SKYLINE GTR33 TWIN TURBO MANUAL

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cbd388e5f

Nissan Silvia S15 spec R

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336d2c9f9a

Toyota Supra 3.0 twin Turbo RZ

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336eb9d5fa

:gimme:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users