#16 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

What about In between the window rubber and roof lip? CBS-online do some pretty thin led strips and you will only need a little hole due to the wires been thin? Think I might put mine their now will post a pic when it's in.

#17 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I think between the roof gutter and rear window could look really smart and integrated. I didn't think there was enough space to place it 'in' the bodywork, but if it was of a particularly low profile you could surface mount it with holes just for the wires, as you say.

#18 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

What about In between the window rubber and roof lip? CBS-online do some pretty thin led strips and you will only need a little hole due to the wires been thin? Think I might put mine their now will post a pic when it's in.

That sounds like a good idea, I'd certainly like to see the pictures when it's done!! :thumbsup:

#19 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have just been looking through the world wide web and their are quite a few suitable ones but they seem to need body mods I.e hole for mounting but their is a few that are stick on and their are some that you can make up your self so the options seem endless, unfortunately they don't come with good discriptions so might have to phone a few to get more info.

#20 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

This looks like it could be a good cheap and effective solution for sticking to the inside of the top of the rear screen. :thumbsup: http://www.cbsonline..._Light_LEDSTRIP

I've always been reluctant to fit one at the top of the rear screen (dispite it probably being the most effective place to put it), as the top of the rear screen tends to be the main bit that you see through in the rear view mirror. Fitting a brake light there would therefore obscure rear vision, but this looks to be a small slimline unit that might not therefore cause too much of an issue. :-)

#21 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Don't forget that if you are sticking something in the rear window to shine outward, you need to, for want of a better word, isolate it's beam so that none of it reflects back in to the cabin, else you won't be able to see anything out the back when braking. It certainly seems an issue when buying after-market third brake lights that the photos are typically awful at giving you any idea of how the thing actually mounts.

I had the same consideration regarding top or bottom of the screen when I fitted mine. Top puts the light straight in the drivers line of sight, but bottom still typically clears the bonnet of the car behind in all but the case of 4x4s. I think that in the ten years that these lights have been mandatory, drivers have been conditioned to look centrally for the brake light, and not to the clusters at all. With that in mind, any position central from the middle of the car up is going to be advantageous.

#22 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

It doesn't look much in the photograph but my third brake light is really quite bright.

Posted Image

#23 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was going to say about at the top of the window, look quite good and give it a nice modern twist :lol:

#24 bluesprite

bluesprite

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb8bef5ed

You could try something like this, at least if it isn't suitable you've only spent £2.80

Or if you're willing to wait for a week or two for postage, there's an ungodly amount of 12v red led strips in china for just over £1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336b2c5c9e

I've had a few things from china on ebay and they have generally been pretty good, and those that haven't worked I've got a full refund without having to send the part back! :-)

#25 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

It doesn't look much in the photograph but my third brake light is really quite bright.

Posted Image

Mine is near same as this one as it looks like mine where its adjustable for tilt to. I found right away after fitting that peeps did not appear to be getting to close when coming to a stop, in the dark it does not light up rear window to much either, in future was even thinking of putting 2 in one each side in top window maybe a bit ott but anything to stop another rear end!!!

Edited by bunch1980, 09 January 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#26 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-Strip-Under-Light-Neon-Footwell-Flexible-Red-/200668018157?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb8bef5ed

You could try something like this, at least if it isn't suitable you've only spent £2.80

Or if you're willing to wait for a week or two for postage, there's an ungodly amount of 12v red led strips in china for just over £1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Red-15-SMD-LED-Bulb-Waterproof-Light-Strip-12V-/220841401502?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336b2c5c9e

I've had a few things from china on ebay and they have generally been pretty good, and those that haven't worked I've got a full refund without having to send the part back! :-)

I'm going to try the second link I think, good find, its water proof and says internal and external and from the looks of it you could fit it anywhere.

#27 bluesprite

bluesprite

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

there are loads of them if you search 12v red led strip including worldwide results and sort by price + p&p lowest first there might be some you prefer. as long as they have a few thousand feedback and over 98% you should be fine.

#28 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

there are loads of them if you search 12v red led strip including worldwide results and sort by price + p&p lowest first there might be some you prefer. as long as they have a few thousand feedback and over 98% you should be fine.

I've tried strips of surface mounted LEDs but they're no good for brake lights. They have no reflector or diffuser which means you have a row of bright, but very small red lights which is difficult to see in daylight. The viewing angle is also very limited with most surface mounted LEDs.

#29 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

This looks like it could be a good cheap and effective solution for sticking to the inside of the top of the rear screen. :thumbsup: http://www.cbsonline..._Light_LEDSTRIP

OK scrap that idea!! I've just spoke to the supplier & apparently the self adhesive is on the back of the strip, meaning it's to be stuck to the outside!! >_<

Edited by AVV IT, 09 January 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#30 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Posted Image

That looks quite good and doesn't look too out of place on a classic either? Where did you get it from & how does it attach? :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users