#31 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

What else did they say about it because the image is pants (on me phone anyways), does it come in a bracket or have anything else with it?

#32 h4wx1e

h4wx1e

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Local Club: sutton mini club

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Posted Image

That looks quite good and doesn't look too out of place on a classic either? Where did you get it from & how does it attach? :unsure:

Try europaspares theirs one on the 6th page of the rear light section mate, but I'm sure theirs one on CBS too

#33 bunch1980

bunch1980

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: nein

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Mine is attached to inside of window with double sided foam tape a few mm thick, tape pads that came with ligh meant it fell off after a few miles lol.
Once stuck down I angled it up a bit to point towards drivers higher up!

#34 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

The light strip in bluesprite's 2nd link are useless. I bought some white ones of these a while ago & tested them on my bench, they weren't very bright at all, but I'm only going to use them in parallel with the interior lights under the back seat so it'll be ok for that. A guy in my club has a light like SolarB but on each side of the window so with 4 lights blaring out it's quite effective.
My original idea was to mount it in the boot lid so I wouldn't have to go chopping the body up & if I want to change it back I had the option of just a new boot or changing it to a fog light instead of panel work & respraying. I think any additional light in the center of the car will be an advantage over just the tail lights. Plus I think it would be unique having a boot mounted light as I've not seen it done before (don't you go stealing my idea now you lot! :ph34r: )

Edited by Brams96, 09 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#35 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

This is my light http://www.cbsonline...ke_Light_LEDST1

It's a simple aftermarket light from a show but it's pretty deep front to back and to fit it how I wanted I had to take it apart and reduce it's depth by about half, down to around 20mm or so. It's mounted on a thin strip of aluminum slightly wider than the light and 30mm or so high. The light is fixed to the window with a couple of self tappers straight through the aluminum and into the window rubber. This was going to be a temporary fix but it works well and is probably going to stay like that. There's absolutely no glare reflected off the window, even at night with the window fogged up. The light touches the window which is probably why there's no light spill.

#36 bluesprite

bluesprite

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

The light strip in bluesprite's 2nd link are useless. I bought some white ones of these a while ago & tested them on my bench, they weren't very bright at all, but I'm only going to use them in parallel with the interior lights under the back seat so it'll be ok for that. A guy in my club has a light like SolarB but on each side of the window so with 4 lights blaring out it's quite effective.
My original idea was to mount it in the boot lid so I wouldn't have to go chopping the body up & if I want to change it back I had the option of just a new boot or changing it to a fog light instead of panel work & respraying. I think any additional light in the center of the car will be an advantage over just the tail lights. Plus I think it would be unique having a boot mounted light as I've not seen it done before (don't you go stealing my idea now you lot! :ph34r: )

Fair points! It's always hard to know what things will be like before they arrive. A row of pin lights probably wouldn't be as good as a bar of diffused light,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-Car-Strip-Light-Bulb-Red-Waterproof-24-LED-N-/140622904706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20bdc73d82
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-New-24cm-Red-Car-24-LED-Waterproof-Durable-Flexible-Strip-Light-Lamp-12V-/290622368434?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43aa716ab2

built into a makeshift container could give decent 'blocks' of light but unless you enjoy building stuff like that you might as well just pay the extra for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-24-LED-Car-Red-Third-Brake-Stop-Tail-Light-Lamp-12V-/290580765081?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a7f69999

:proud:

#37 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

That last link looks good if you wanted to mount something in the window but I wanted a more 'factory' look of a light in the boot lid that wouldn't have wires showing or just stuck on. Using a part from another car would be the best option as then there would be spares if it broke, also I didn't want to start 'frenching' lights into the body like people do when replacing mini tail lights.

#38 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

what about a strip of LED's down the pillars?

#39 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

That's exactly what I was going to do! - Beautiful! :D

#40 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

same here, mine cost about 99p from ebay :)
Posted Image

#41 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

lawrence - nice little stock pile to the left there ;D , bet that keeps you busy.

#42 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

lawrence - nice little stock pile to the left there ;D , bet that keeps you busy.

Second that! I could do with one of those ;D

#43 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

I mocked up a potential idea (thanks SolarB for the photo ;D )

My idea would be something like this but without the stop light in the window

Posted Image

#44 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

thanks for the alcohol comments, its always nice to have a beer while working, not good if your in the grage at 9 in the morning tho haha, the only problem with your idea i can see brams96 is that is on the same level pretty much as the other brake lights and as minis are pretty low compared to other cars i dont think it would get noticed much.

#45 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:47 AM

Fair comment, but if it is bright enough like the modern LED brake lights it would be noticed. Next time your following a car that has an LED brake light just look at how bright they are, I've been checking out different cars & even the small lights make a big difference with how much red light is coming back to a driver behind them. I think any extra light source will be an improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users