26 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

]So I thought I would be brave and share the build.... Although I've been messing with them for years, its also been years before I built one ground up, I'm sure its like riding a bike though isnt it??

I helped build my brothers purpose built sprint/hillclimber last year, I thought I better give them a bit of competition. Their car isnt road legal so its a different approach, I thought it might be fun on the very occasional sunny day to be able to enjoy it without the entry fee's.

So its 80/20 race/road, and will be built along those lines, funds permitting of course! Ill be as good as I can with pictures, I'm not sure Ive managed to post them up properly before!

If anyone spots something I've missed, please let me know :-)

So a sound shell became available, with a substatial rollcage more than suitable (road going class doesnt require a cage), I suspect this will be more than adequate should I decide to enter non road going.

Onto the pics, shell first.....

Attached File  IMG-20111119-00004.jpg   1.02MB   83 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00005.jpg   947.17K   10 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00006.jpg   933.24K   29 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00007.jpg   1.1MB   50 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00008.jpg   877.69K   12 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00009.jpg   921.02K   9 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20111119-00010.jpg   886.62K   19 downloads

#2 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

The shell is in very good condition, no signs of panel work or repair. The front is a steel and removable, the doors have have been lightened, very neatly. Just the corner internal steelwork left for the internal lock latch. The bonet has had all the internal strengthening removed for lightness. The bootlid is about the only un-molested standard panel. Fill Miglia style bulkead fashioned as well as additional metalwork to allow bonnet pins to be mounted near the scuttle.

This has now had all the fixtures, fittings wiring loom, subframes etc removed and is now sat with Gary at GT Body Repairs in Stirchley. Its going to be blasted to remove as much dirt, grime, underseal, panel sealer as possible.

As soon as its been blasted it will be finished in Ford Focus ST white, gloss black room and gloss black group 2 wide arches.

In the mean time, the rear subrame has been totally stripped and powder coated, as have the back plates and handbrake levers and cable brakets.

The rear radius arms were re-bushed by Nigel at Kings Norton Garage (top bloke, RAC scruitneers can also be found on occasion drinking tea here!) The arms were cleaned, and painted in hammerite (got to love the stuff) The hubs and drums also received the hammerite treatment.

Attached Files

Edited by Matt_Brum, 07 February 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#3 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Looks like you are starting with a good solid shell, always a good starting point. The mini I'm converting used to compete in hill climbs in the uk and jersey.

Best of luck with the build

Cheers

#4 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

It seems I'm struggling already with photos, suggestions please as to better ways of getting them to appear!!

After a few quid spent at Minispares, the backplates were mounted back on to the radius arms, new wheel cylinder's etc. Hub re-fitted with new bearings. New KAD alloy handbrake quadrants too.

The radius arms were rebuilt onto the fresh subrame with adjustable camber brakets, new Hi-Lo's (proper jobs), knuckles and fresh nuts & bolts throughout.

Attached File  IMG-20120204-00130.jpg   845.18K   13 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20120128-00126.jpg   803.38K   14 downloads

#5 warning634

warning634

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

It seems I'm struggling already with photos, suggestions please as to better ways of getting them to appear!!

After a few quid spent at Minispares, the backplates were mounted back on to the radius arms, new wheel cylinder's etc. Hub re-fitted with new bearings. New KAD alloy handbrake quadrants too.

The radius arms were rebuilt onto the fresh subrame with adjustable camber brakets, new Hi-Lo's (proper jobs), knuckles and fresh nuts & bolts throughout.

Attached File  IMG-20120204-00130.jpg   845.18K   13 downloads
Attached File  IMG-20120128-00126.jpg   803.38K   14 downloads

I add my pictures via photo bucket and then just copy the IMG code, that seems to work.

#6 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Looks like a nice shell to start with, whats the plan for the engine?

#7 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well the engine...... there's a question! I'm on the lookout at the moment for a decent base to start from. Its going to have to be a self build with someone doing the machining for me.

Will probably end up as:

1380- will spend the majority on the short engine to start with.
Everything Lightened and balanced etc.

Once the bottom end/short motor is built well and strong, the head change/removal is all quick and easy stuff!

Webber 45 on shelf pending negotiation with brother!

If anyone can recomment good machinists, who are familiar with A-Series stuff in South Bham, please let me know :-). Reasonable too!! I know of the usual engine builders..... just someone who can drive the machines is fine!

Single webber 45 - on shelf pending negotiation with brother!

Edited by Matt_Brum, 08 February 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#8 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Quick update, been upto the bodyshop this afternoon to fit up the front end, bonnet etc so it can all be primed up.

Shell has come up brilliantly from the blasters, no shocking repairs, no holes, couple of nicks and small dents but for a mini..... amazing!

Front and rear subframes ready to go so will get them underneath it as soon as the underside of the shell is painted.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

First time using photobucket.... fingers crossed..

#9 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

The inner sills look interesting

#10 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

The inner sills are standard, there is then another inner inner sill if you will. They have been pocketed around the standard seat belt anchorage points. Just there to give a little extra strength.

#11 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

The inner sills are standard, there is then another inner inner sill if you will. They have been pocketed around the standard seat belt anchorage points. Just there to give a little extra strength.

#12 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Looks like a cracking shell, wish mine had been that good when I started

#13 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

What roll cage is that?

Alex

#14 MJWarren

MJWarren

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Custom cages? Or one that has been made.

where you loooking at competeing in this?

#15 Matt_Brum

Matt_Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

Should be rolling and running for the summer with a little luck. Subframes build up and ready to go. Just need to take my time and look after the paint!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users