dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

Regardless of the alternator type you can make these measurements at the battery. Check the "static" voltage across the battery with the engine not running. Start the engine and repeat your measurement across the battery. You should see about a 1.5V increase over what your static measurement was. The exact value isn't carved in stone but it should be an easily measurable increase... yet never exceed 15V on a street car.

#17 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

well thats my prob sorted then, when the ignition is turned on its 12v but when the engine is running i only get an output on the alternator of 0.5v.

then again could change it to find that its a fault in the loom.

As you can see, he'd already done this, I was describing the next step as to rule out the alternator. If the voltage across the alternator is good he'll have a high resisitance/open line in the loom somewhere.

#18 Noah991

Noah991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the inputs, trying to find a multimeter now.. Will let you all know.

#19 On_fire

On_fire

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

it might of jus been becuase i`ve had this prob b4 or weather i jus thought it was the obv answer but i would have sed at the beggining that it would be the alternator which should have been checked first seein as there was no electrical prob found when the car was taken to be checked.

But as i sed it might have jus been me ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users