#16 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

if i were building a 200+ a series turbo track car i'd be going with high CR, low boost and a 16v head personally.

Mine runs 200 on a 1293cc 5 port, but it would **** itself being pushed hard round a track, i only run it at full boost on the drag strip.

#17 longtimenomini

longtimenomini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Turbo nick is spot on...

A turbo engine with loads of power, pushed to its limit for long periods is going to complain...

mine had 171 running 22 psi 1293 5 port and you couldnt push it to its limit for long before it started to try and melt your feet!

16v supercharged / turbo as nick said

#18 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

well it would be a track and road car

#19 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

well it would be a track and road car

The "road" car part here is the important bit... How often is it going too be used on the road? A daily driver? :P

#20 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

how much bhp is that putting out?

we have limited it to 170 bhp to save the transmission as you can see from the video its pushed very hard for 20 mins at a time. the engine could cope with a bit more so to could to gearbox but as i would like to keep it in one piece so this is a good figure.
as its supercharged the power doesnt come in with such a bang and this to helps the box, also its only running 10 psi so no major heat issus as yet.

#21 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Its hopefully going to be a daily drive

#22 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Its hopefully going to be a daily drive

So your planning on building a 200bhp turbocharged 5 port a series? And use it as a daily drive?

Uh oh.....! :P

#23 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

it's do-able, i've been using mine as a daily ish drive for the past couple of weeks while my vans in the garage being fixed. I've done a good few blasts down to banbury and warwick sat at 4.5k rpm on the motorway and it's not missed a beat, aswell as being driven like a ******* generally round the roads.

Just expect to be fixing something every weekend, and to be doing regular rebuilds and you'll be fine.

With a turbo engine you're not running it at 200hp all the time. Lowest boost i can run is 15psi which is about 150hp at the wheels, but you're not running that all the time, depending on traffic and stuff you could drive for 20 miles and not come on boost once it all depends on how you drive it.

#24 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Would 170bhp be more of a realistic daily drive then?

#25 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

i wouldn't get too hung up on power figures to be honest, anything over about 130hp and you're gonna be spinning the wheels a lot on the roads. i could wind the boost up on mine for a power run on the dyno and probably make a really good figure for talking about in the pub if it held together, would i run it ont he roads/strip at that sort of boost? very doubtful.

I've still got plans to build a nice highish compression 1380 turbo engine for daily road use, something like 7psi and a gt17 turbo i think would make a great torquey road engine that'd be capable of a few trackdays too and be able to hold its own.

#26 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

All depends on exactly what you want from the engine. 90% of the time it's been done before, so read up, ask questions, decide what works for you and your budget and what doesn't.
At the end of the day, aim for a power figure, it gives you something to work towards. Get it finished, then get it run in and tuned, get driving it. If it's not quite what you expected then do something about it until you are happy with it. You may be pleasantly surprised and find that even 130hp is plentyful on the road and track depending on the setup.
The one thing I will say to anyone though, is to try and build it futureproof. Saves you lots in the longrun if you ever decide to crank up the boost pressure one day.

#27 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Most of the main points have been well covered but, you don't need big cc's to get the power, so I'd forget 1380 or 1400. Besides limiting your choice of suitable pistons it makes it harder to drop the compression to a suitable level.
You don't need the fanciest parts to build a reliable engine, many of the standard parts are up to the job if in good condition, but you do need to build it well. You'll need the right cam, head, intercooler & Turbo to deliver the goods for 200+ hp though.

Phil.

#28 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

big bhp is just pub talk
if you are thinking of using this on the road and track then imo you need to gear the engine up for road use i would search though TM as there is alot of info there that will stop you making expensive mistakes like the 1380 myth, personally i would rather have a drivable 150 brake car than an undrivable 200

#29 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Would it be feasible to have a weber on it aswell, or would that be putting too much stress on the engine?

#30 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

pointless.

the SU can supply 300hp, you'd just be adding unnecacary complexity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users