Photo

5" Speakers In Door, Could I Mount Tweeters In Dashboard?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi guys, I am looking at the In Phase STXT5.1C as I like the slimline factor of them and they seem to have pretty good reviews. At the moment I think I will be getting the door cards with built in speaker pods from Optimise Automotive (I believe they post here, which is nice) but I was wondering whether I could mount the tweeters which come with the In Phase speakers (1") where my vents are in my dashboard and whether that would be audibly superior than, say, just getting some standard 5" speakers? I currently have some crappy speakers in the back on the parcel shelf but am fed up with having them there and I want to maximise boot space (I am a windsurfer and need all the space I can get). From speakers all I care about is sound quality, I don't listen to bass heavy music so don't think I need a subwoofer unless I would be able to mount it beneath the rear seats - I see most people hate 6x9s but is that all would be able to squeeze under?

Would this work or does anyone have any better suggestions? I currently have a Pioneer DEH-2000MP and no amplifier. - Oh, and a 1991 Mini Mayfair.

Cheers
Niko

Edited by niko-time, 25 March 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#2 abe46

abe46

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

If it helps I had my tweeters sitting on the dash as such..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looked okay to me! :)

#3 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

How were they attached? And would you definitely say going to a 5"er with tweeters is better than a 5" without tweeters? That could definitely be an option if I can't squeeze them behind the dash

Edited by niko-time, 25 March 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#4 abe46

abe46

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I had the crossovers sitting underneath the carpets on the bulkhead, and then ran the wire to the tweeters behind the dash rails to make it look neater.

Then I had the 5.25" main speakers sitting on the footwell in a pair of speaker pods. Obviously components speakers such as this will be a lot better on sound quality , however it will only reach it's full potential if you run them through an amp.

#5 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. What amplifier would you recommend for somebody on a budget, or would a higher quality head-unit be preferable instead? More than happy buying used. And are 6x9s really that bad to plonk underneath the rear seats if I want a bit better lower end? It would be for quality rather than volume and I would probably get the Kick Board from Optimise Audio to mount it.

EDIT: Actually, you can specify 4", 5", 6.5" or 6x9" on the Kick Board so any recommendations for cheap subwoofers which would fit would also be superb!

Edited by niko-time, 25 March 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#6 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Your looking for a 2 channel amp with about 50 to 100 RMS per channel.

And yes 6x9s or any full range speaker should not be behind you or worst aimed at you bum!

Simple/Ideal mini system would be a 6.5" comp set with Mids on the kick panels or in the doors, with tweeter in.on the dash or mounted on the A-pillars,
Under the rear seats some small subs (in a proper enclosure, not just a board).
All powered by a 4 Channel amp with 50to100 watts RMSper channel. 2 channels for the front and the other 2 bridged to power the subs.

:D simples...

#7 Cunnymonster

Cunnymonster

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Simple for you Ruckus ;-)

Dont understand the whole amp thing. :shy:

#8 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Your looking for a 2 channel amp with about 50 to 100 RMS per channel.

And yes 6x9s or any full range speaker should not be behind you or worst aimed at you bum!

Simple/Ideal mini system would be a 6.5" comp set with Mids on the kick panels or in the doors, with tweeter in.on the dash or mounted on the A-pillars,
Under the rear seats some small subs (in a proper enclosure, not just a board).
All powered by a 4 Channel amp with 50to100 watts RMSper channel. 2 channels for the front and the other 2 bridged to power the subs.

:D simples...

Fantastic, wonderfully simple....

So lets see the damage for an ideal/easy system:
Door cards with speaker pods - £80-100 depending on how stylish/cheap I'm feeling
In Phase SXT6.1 240W (including 1" tweeter to be plonked in or around the dashboard) ~£100
Edge ED7800 as an amplifer (it says RMS 4x100 but I have no blooming idea) £90 new, perhaps ~£60 on the eBay? Although is there a cheaper option? Please save me money, this is making me queasy totalling this up...
Subwoofer - I can't find any small factor ones other than the Kenwood 7"er but that looks pretty gimicky? And how would I get a proper enclosure for it - would it be adding to the Optimise Automotive board? I am absolutely TERRIBLE and all things like that. Anything useful/practical escapes me, it's why I study philosophy at Uni...
And keep my Pioneer DEH-2000MP....

Does this sort of thing sound okay? Always happy to save money (very happy) and buy used if needed, although warranties are great if there is a deal on new stuff.
Thanks for all the help so far!

EDIT: Subwoofer wise, as I only care about clarity rather than volume, after hunting on eBay I have no idea what is loud or what is clear...

Edited by niko-time, 25 March 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#9 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

One more quick thing (can't seem to edit on my phone, sorry), regarding my current hu, could I just buy a superior one with a built in amplifier - I would love dab - and not bother with subwoofers?

#10 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

All HU's have built in amps, they just aren't very good due to space and head dissipation requirements.

#11 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

All HU's have built in amps, they just aren't very good due to space and head dissipation requirements.

MOST high end units don't by the way. :)

#12 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

MOST high end units don't by the way. :)

I've never seen one without an amp, shows the quality of audio kit I've come across :lol:

Makes sense though, why waste money and space on an amp that won't be used.

Edited by mini-luke, 26 March 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#13 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Cool, I'll stick with my current HU then. Having a look on Ebay, would a Lanzar Vibe 410 be okay or is that faaarrr too old to bother with? It is RMS Power at 2 Ohms 125 W x 4 RMS Power at 4 Ohms 75 W x 4
and looks like it will be dirt cheap.

Otherwise there is a Kenwood KAC-849 for £60+postage which is 75 watts x 4 at 2 ohms or a MacAudio 4 channel amp on talk audio.

#14 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

this

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_5997wt_1397

6 x 50watts RMS...!

Manual
http://diplo-best.co...q=DENON DCA-800

nice words
http://www.talkaudio...ca-800-dca-500/

you can could have:

2 way fully active system with subwoofer.
or
3 way fully active system.
or
100 watts for 2 front channels and 100watts for a sub
or
50 watts for 2 front channels and 2 x 100watts for a pair of subs.

AND its a bloody Denon!!

by the way if you hadn't noted i like these amps :D

#15 niko-time

niko-time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Looks great, but unfortunately I am on holiday on Saturday and will be without internet so can't pay! What wires would I have to purchase with it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users