197 replies to this topic

#61 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

hey thanks for the compliments :) but my main job is similar to scrap heap challenge so im used to improvising, and getting things done :)

#62 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah I agree, very impressed Mr T

#63 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

went to the chiropractor today and got my back sorted. she said i have to not go back to work untill monday.. so iv been crawling around the mini with my mate trying to get a few small things done. backs still very sore but on the mend now.

finally got round to properpley fitting the pedal box.. i used rivet nuts to secure it to the car...Attached File  pedalboxditted2.jpg   53.43K   23 downloads

also finished the throttle cable attachment on the top of the pedal...Attached File  throttlepedal.jpg   59.81K   38 downloads

got my mate to help me to some welding on the door hinge plates. thats the last of the welding hopefully. rust wise. Attached File  doorhinges.jpg   38.69K   21 downloads

and there she is all mounted.

Attached File  pedalboxfitted.jpg   44.91K   33 downloads

Edited by mrthumb, 16 August 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#64 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Looks awesome. Making me look bad!

#65 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

well bit of a update...
I extended the honda gearstick by 50mm so its more mini like and easier to reach...
its been welded and sanded and painted so you cant really tell.Attached File  gearnobextenction.jpg   43.62K   16 downloads

I also moved the gearstick back as far as i could so i could reach it easier. and capped off the large hole that would otherwise let water and crap spray inside the gatier and make it go rusty like the original one.
Attached File  gearposition.jpg   31.48K   24 downloads

and finally got the final position of the steering rack sat between the pedal box pistons things and its directley in line with the seat... i had to modify the existing steering rack bracket to go well with my new dash bar. all secured with new rivet nuts...
Attached File  steeringbracket.jpg   68.71K   24 downloads
Iv gone to alot of trouble to make this car fit me and be nice to drive. :)

and iv been doing some spending..
a friend of mine told me its such a pain in the arse to run copper lines all over the car, so me and my mate measured all the distances and went to earls http://www.earls.co.uk/index.php and had all the brake lines for the car made to measure in stainless braided rubber coated hoses so when they arrive it will be a case of screwing up the threads with some PTFE and no more worries!....

another snag i found was that the old heater matrix was soo large and fowled on the pedal boxes new postion. so i got a lightweight modular heater matrix from http://www.t7design.co.uk/ Posted Image

this will tuck up nicley under the dash and i can just have it on a pot resistor to increase and decrease the heat for the car. it will be blowing on the windscreen only. keep it simple. if i want cold air i open the window :)

Edited by mrthumb, 18 August 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#66 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Looks great, I would love hear how the matrix works when it's in.

#67 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

yea it should be dead simple really. attach the 2 ducts and 2 hoses to he engine and bolt it in. its just a 12 volt fan so i can use either a on off switch or a pot resistor to speed it up or slow it down.. im not going to have it blow cold or hot... just hot all the time. i wont need it otherwise. simple and makes the car work in the winter :) also.im going to make a duct on the back where the air gets sucked in and have it draw from the outside of the car.

#68 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like a good plan. I would prefer a resistor just to make it feel like a modern car and a little less crude than just on/off

#69 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

yea i agree, just trying to find out thats a bit chunky with a on/off built in. like a radio one.

#70 Jamie_hail

Jamie_hail

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Have you considered a PC fan controller? Would look Really modern with a speed readout and stuff!

Or, one of these - a remote fan controller for car/bike cooling fans - http://www.amazon.co...V/dp/B002XKZ97O Place the thermo probe in the air stream from the fan!

OR - This thing off an electric fire... http://hobbyparts.co...12v-Fan-control

#71 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

hey thanks ill have to takea closer look at those... the radiator fan controllers a bit pricy... if i find a decent speed fan controller ill have to get one. but im after just a overall large diameter circular switch/nob that has on/off built in as well as adjustment for speed after.

#72 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

OK, the heater matrix and brake cables come today...
now with that heater matrix. it sucks in the radiator side and blows out the ducts at the back... now i didnt want to recirculate the air in the car or moisture would build up. so i had to build a aluminium inlet duct that bolted to the front of the matrix. I installed the heater matrix into some 25x10 ERW box section with some riv nuts inside and welded them to the bulkhead... next i fitted the inlet duct. sorrt for the poor pictures but i left my camera at work. Attached File  heatermatrix.jpg   60.97K   26 downloadsAttached File  heatermatrixinlet.jpg   62.22K   29 downloadsAttached File  heatermatrixinlet2.jpg   49.45K   23 downloads

this will then goto the left hand side of the car via a ducting and ill make up some sort of water catch/filter system..

#73 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

do you think i should use stonechip to do the inside of the car? give it a nice even finish? i was thinking of the sound deadening properties of it aswell.. there will be carpets of the top. what do you think?

#74 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Isn't stone chip a little greasy? I woldnt bother personally, but would be cool to see how it came out.

#75 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

It should add mass that'll reduce vibration, so sound thinking on that front. As you won't be able to see it doesn't really matter what it looks like in all honesty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users