197 replies to this topic

#91 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

hi kam thanks!, yea that goes back to the inlet on the bottom of the tank.

been hard at work on the exhaust tonight...

its has a modified mini backbox, with a toyosports decat in the middle, and all flexie stainless tube at the end.

iv been doing some reading and the ricers of the web dictate that you must have atleast a 2" exhaust for this engine...
so i planned to use the existing mini backbox which was fine untill i realise the tube going into it is not 2 inches big.
Attached File  exhaustpipesize.jpg   47.59K   14 downloads

so it had to come off and be replaced with a larger 2 " tube. luckey for me it was 2 inches inside diameter then going into 2, 2 inch pipes to exit.

Attached File  newsection2.jpg   61.14K   20 downloads
Attached File  cutexhaust.jpg   56.44K   16 downloads
purge the exhaust with argon so i dont get "sugaring" on the inside

Attached File  purgeexhaust.jpg   68.31K   44 downloads

all welded together... Attached File  exhauststanding.jpg   54.49K   31 downloads

and on the car at last :)

Attached File  exhaustfitted3.jpg   75.34K   55 downloadsAttached File  exhaustfitted2.jpg   63.47K   32 downloadsAttached File  exhaustfitted.jpg   76.54K   61 downloads

Edited by mrthumb, 13 September 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#92 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

ok, just finished the top half of my dash. still working on the idea for a center console. its all 2mm aluminium crafted carefully over the week at home and at work.. this required a CNC break press but the results were worth it :) its all secured with rivet nuts and feels solid. might get it powder coated yet.

Attached Files

Edited by mrthumb, 21 September 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#93 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

ahh more progress

gone for a retro trucker style knight rider maybe thing.
Attached File  dash5.jpg   63.69K   37 downloadsAttached File  dash4.jpg   54.52K   49 downloads

#94 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

finally driving!

Edited by mrthumb, 29 September 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#95 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

**** hot mate!! Attach a couple of blades to it and youve got yourself the worlds fastest lawn mower

#96 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

hehe yea :D

#97 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

everything working well then?

#98 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

yea id say so. we had some issues with air pockets in the water system to begin with. but it all appears to be running ok now. also, when you brake it accelerates :) but that was due to the brake bias getting snagged on the throttle.

the cluch is ON/OFF type which is gonna take some getting used to. and the throttle is a bit stickey. not as crisp as you like.
next step is tidying up the loom and fixing it to the car :)

Attached File  minifwiring.jpg   85.68K   24 downloads

Edited by mrthumb, 29 September 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#99 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sounds good. Seem to have got it going in record breaking time, plenty of time to sort out the niggles i guess. not long and itll be road legal and destroying everything in its sight!!

Loving the work keep it up :D

#100 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

yea iv been putting alot of hours in, everyone at work had a bet running that if i took it off the road it will never come back on so iv dedicated almost every evening to doing somthing. i finally got some results today!

#101 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Well done mate glad you got it running after that loom looked very difficult when I seem it did you have any over throw on the cluch after

And thanks again for doing my radiator top class work there keep it up you will be done in no time

John

#102 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

hi john i did'nt have any issues with overthrow luckley. i will be adding a bolt to the back like you what you said though!

Edited by mrthumb, 30 September 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#103 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

ok been doing some reinforcing today. My "mini pedal box" from OBP has flimsey pedals arms...
The pedal arm itselfs is a mear 5mm thick and its just mild steel. its not EN8 or any reasonable strong carbon steel either, and is full of holes to save on weight.

the result is, if you have a heavy clutch or you dont have a servo assisted brake like myself. the pedal arm will bend and twist if its not completley pushed directley forward. somthing that can't allways be done when your going fast heal towing and braking quickley.

I managed to bend the pedal by pushing the clutch down from outside the car and i was supprised how easy it just bend over. anyway heres some pictures...

stainless steel 3mm plate was used to reinforce it.
Attached File  reinforced4.jpg   76.51K   17 downloadsAttached File  reinforced3.jpg   81.79K   14 downloads
Attached File  reinforced5.jpg   85.22K   18 downloads

Attached File  reinforced6.jpg   65.48K   17 downloadsAttached File  reinforced2.jpg   66.86K   16 downloads
and testing the clutch stop..
Attached File  clutchstop.jpg   66.38K   16 downloads

Edited by mrthumb, 30 September 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#104 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

i like how you did that with the pedals as i said yesterday i have that pedal box i mite just use your idea on strenthing the pedals as i dont fancy mine bending when i wont to stop i also like how you mounted the bolt to the pedal well done

#105 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

yea by all means copy it :) its worth doing. its just not man enough. when your welding dont panic too much if the oil starts cooking out the sintered bronze bearings you can allways apply some copper slip later if it gets a bit rough a few years down the line.

also if you want a bolt with a rounded head on it, its called a coach bolt. i used M-8 size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users