Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hey Trac,

Flatting between coats is no problem, even when putting the heavier coats on. Plenty of water and letting the paper do the work is the key. Drying time for that was normal 1day, as it was part of the prep for the next coat.

Polishing I'm going to leave a few weeks yet. The paint is dry but feels 'soft' for want of a better word. It's not soft but has that almost waxy quality of new paint to it. The chap at the distributor said it can take a month to dry so I'm going on that, seems to be the general time frame used anyway.

#212 tractor

tractor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Ok cheers Skortchio it's been about 10 days now since i painted the tank so i'll have a look tonight and see how it reacts to a bit of 400g paper and loads of soap and mayby leave it another 10 days before i go over it with some 1500g and some G3, completly over the top for a fuel tank i know but exploring new teritories non the less :D

I'll do the side of the tank you don't see when it's fitted and let you know how it turns out

cheers
Trac

#213 jdawg558

jdawg558

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi Just thought i'd post a couple of pics. I've just started painting my car with Rustoleum paint. I'm using a spray gun and i'm thinning paint to 70/30 with white spirits. Its going on really nice considering this is the first car i've sprayed in a long time!!Attached File  001.jpg   57.03K   24 downloadsAttached File  002.jpg   51K   42 downloads

#214 grahama

grahama

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
  • Local Club: None in my area !!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi jdawg,

Nice to see someone spraying rustoleum, me too next year when it warms up. How are you doing for smothness of finish and drying times?? Can youpost a few close up pics for me please ??

Graham

#215 jdawg558

jdawg558

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Grahama,

Its going on nice and smooth and drying time in between coats is about 24hrs. I put a few coats on intially just to get some paint on and then i flatted back any runs etc and applied more paint. I rollered the roof black just to see what it came out like and i was pleasantly surprised at the result but with the body it was easier to and quicker to spray plus you can get in the tight corners etc with a gun but with a roller it was quite tricky. I'll take some close up pics at the weekend for you and post them on here.

#216 jdawg558

jdawg558

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi Graham here is a close up pic that you asked for and a few others

Cheers JasonAttached File  DSC02036.JPG   21.98K   48 downloadsAttached File  DSC02040.JPG   40.01K   34 downloadsAttached File  DSC02037.JPG   40.32K   26 downloads

#217 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Bit of a delay in the updates here I admit, but winter was no time to be sanding paintwork and I had some other more mechanical things that took priority.

But! I've made a start flatting the paint back for polishing.
First impression, it's bloody hard! Which is a good thing for durability, less so for getting anywhere fast :P

Anyway, here's a few snaps of how it's going.

800grit done, ready for 1200 and all the rest!
Posted Image

Just a quick wipe down and this is what we end up with:
Posted Image

Not bad for about £52 all in. Should turn out nicely (I hope!).

#218 jakejakejake1

jakejakejake1

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product!

#219 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Finally the weather cheered up a bit and I was able to get out and flat the paint back proper and give it some attention with a polisher and G3.

Still to go are the meguiars ultimate and some glaze before sealant.

Couple of pics for those still listening :P

1.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

#220 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

that is impressive depth of shine :)

#221 scaffers

scaffers

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Impressed, very impressed.

Question,

Could you just do some replacement panels as long as the paint matched etc

#222 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

Like any paint it will fade and discolour over time, even with the UV filters in some of the brands.

Assuming the either the original paint hadn't been on a long while or you had the colour matched to compensate there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you're talking about matching types of paint, in that case it's a difference kettle of fish. 2K, celly, enamel, roller paint all have a different look to them even when the same colour.

#223 ToddM

ToddM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just done my Mini with Rustoleum mixed in COF Flame Red. First pic is primer, second pic is more recent after several layers of Dulux on top of that used as high build primer and protection for the meantime and 1 layer of Rustoleum.
Was rollered outside on my drive to some utter disbelief from my neighbours! It's not even dry yet and it looks decent, can't wait to rub it down and add another couple of layers before the final cut and polish!

9631627494_ebed33fff2_c.jpg
9631677658_b8654f4c1b_c.jpg

So happy with my £50 paintjob :) 
Next job is £6 can of matt black or chalkboard paint for the roof.

Edited by ToddM, 30 August 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#224 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Looking fine!

Go easy on the rubbing between coats, this stuff takes ages to cure (I found out by peeling a chunk off when I started >_< )

Hardest part is being patient before the final flatting and polishing ;D

#225 ToddM

ToddM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah, I peeled some off the Dulux in the beginning :shy: 

This seems to come on a bit more orange-peely than the Dulux and is definitely a bit runnier but is finally the correct colour! I went to the Dulux decorators centre and had them mix me flame red which looked a mix between pink and orange. I got another can from them, this time bringing the boot lid with original paint on and the paint came out dark brown/maroon  O_O 

Gave Avenue Coatings a ring, told them I wanted Rover COF Flame Red mixed, 3 days later the Rusto arrived in the right colour and the price overall was a couple of quid cheaper per 1L of paint. Couldn't recommend Avenue Coatings enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users