17 replies to this topic

#1 Lmr025

Lmr025

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi all , who's running a k20 engine ? Would like to know what final drive you got , mines 4.7 and is revving to 8000rpm at 88 miles an hour ( gps) Been told 3.4 is available but can't find any info ! Any help ? Lee

#2 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hi all , who's running a k20 engine ? Would like to know what final drive you got , mines 4.7 and is revving to 8000rpm at 88 miles an hour ( gps) Been told 3.4 is available but can't find any info ! Any help ? Lee

that seems crazy high, are you sure your in 6th gear?

i think mine is a 2003 motor in 6th its about 4800 at 85 mph (80 ish by gps)

zcars do a better final drive which Andy (cptkirk) runs with good results.

what size rims are you running?

#3 Lmr025

Lmr025

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi mate there 13 inch 235/45 rear and 175/50 front been talking to someone today and he thinks it might be a Jdm gearbox with 5.1 final drive !

#4 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I have a 3.9 in mine.

You can get a 4.13 from ClubRSX.com http://www.clubrsx.c...A-4-133-FD.html

A 4.13 will net you the folllowing speeds with the size tyre you gave earlier:

Input into calculator =
Posted Image

And the results:

Posted Image

I put in a 5.1 FD with your tyre size and got the following:

Posted Image

Looking at it I can only assume that you some how have got 5th and 6th gear blocked off if you are topping out at approx 88mph. There mya be very slight gear ratio changes if your running a JDM g-box but intrinsically it shouldnt be too dissimilar.

Edited by cptkirk, 10 April 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#5 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

I changed my standard 4.3 to a 4.052 from clubrsx, cost about £300 rather than £1350 for a 3.9 from UK, although clubrsx don't appear to do that one anymore.

If yours really is 5.1 and the standard 4.3 would fit your gearbox you can have the one I took out, assuming I can find it.

#6 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

I changed my standard 4.3 to a 4.052 from clubrsx, cost about £300 rather than £1350 for a 3.9 from UK, although clubrsx don't appear to do that one anymore.

If yours really is 5.1 and the standard 4.3 would fit your gearbox you can have the one I took out, assuming I can find it.

I was looking for the 4.052 but couldnt see it, I thought I migth have been going slightly mad for a little while but I am glad you couldnt find it either...

Hows the 4.0 working out for you?

#7 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

The car feels much better for normal driving, revs have only dropped by about 500 @60mph but it feels like it has an extra gear. It also helped the twitchiness I was experiencing when lifting off at higher revs due to the reduction in engine braking from the lower revs and no obvious reduction in acceleration as I can now use 2nd gear, so well worth the £300.

#8 Mini Type R

Mini Type R

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Just found the calculator I created when I was looking for a lower final drive, it would appear the standard unit was 4.76 not 4.3, 4.3 must have been one of the other ratios I was considering.

#9 minithekid

minithekid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

i got a 3.9 from z cars for £800..not to bad? me thinks

Edited by minithekid, 05 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#10 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Mini the kid, I see you are fairly new on here so welcome.

A word from the now wise with regards to the prices charged by Zcars. If you are on a tight budget always check elsewhere before committing to a purchase from them as certain items can be found considerably cheaper elsewhere. We put our trust into Zcars that they are not going to overcharge, however, wittingly or unwittingly their prices are quite high compared to other vendors for the same product.

Apologies for urinating on your pomme frites but you could have:

A) got a genuine Honda one from the US here http://www.kseriespa...27-PNS-305.html for $295, even if it cost another $100 to ship to the UK and import tax you'd still only have paid approx £320.

B) If importing is not your thing (you should look into this if its not as you can save a small fortune) then you can get one from Honda UK http://www.lingshond...s=23227-PNS-305 for £433.80 + Shipping.

Don't forget to order the needle bearing for the countershaft.

Andy

PS if anyone is looking for a 4.133 final drive they can be found here: http://www.kseriespa...A-4-133-FD.html, they arent cheap but they will work a treat if you are wanting to get all 6 gears working in your favour.

Edited by cptkirk, 21 November 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#11 minithekid

minithekid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Looks like i bent over for chris! (zcars) lol

#12 minithekid

minithekid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

i got a 3.9 not 4.3 from z cars for £800..not to bad? me thinks

Edited by minithekid, 05 December 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#13 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ah ha, thats better. and only £50 more than I paid for mine.

Right, now what diff are you going for? I ask because when I took my G-box to CPL to get the Quaife ATB put into it it turned out the holes on the final drive where the wrong size (10mm not 11mm as per the standard Honda fitment) so I had to have them spark eroded to the larger standard fitment, also make sure that you get the speedo ring put on the diff else your ECU cant tell when you're moving to tell the G-box to blank out the reverse gear.

I would advise, and I am sure Al Reidy would agree, that the Gripper diff is a bit too much for a road car, if racing is your thing then go for the Gripper.

#14 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Right, now what diff are you going for? I ask because when I took my G-box to CPL to get the Quaife ATB put into it it turned out the holes on the final drive where the wrong size (10mm not 11mm as per the standard Honda fitment) so I had to have them spark eroded to the larger standard fitment, also make sure that you get the speedo ring put on the diff else your ECU cant tell when you're moving to tell the G-box to blank out the reverse gear.

I would advise, and I am sure Al Reidy would agree, that the Gripper diff is a bit too much for a road car, if racing is your thing then go for the Gripper.

Yeah i would agree with that, to be honest if i was to go though it all again i probably would have used a standard diff to get used it then upgraded if it was needed.

#15 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yeah i would agree with that, to be honest if i was to go though it all again i probably would have used a standard diff to get used it then upgraded if it was needed.

Good advice there Al.

Mini the Kid, if you're sticking with a std diff you may need to the final drive holes making bigger, just something to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users