63 replies to this topic

#31 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

id put a 998 back init if you want to save on insurance, as once you pay it, you never get it back, and you could use the money you save on insurance to put back into the car, as for my 998, it was £1371 for insurance, so a £1000 cheaper than it would be for your 1275... Also, if you get it insured with with only the two front bucket seats, they tend not to like that as their usually suspisious of why you've put extra safety into it and removed the back seats and so on, they can be really funny about stuff like that and will take any chance to not pay out and make your insurance invailded if you miss something out

i have 3 months to get new interior and sell the subs so theres no problem there. ive payed for the car myself and my dad said hed put 2000 to insurance so wont be to bad on my behalf plus im just guna say its a 998 cause when are they ever guna check it unless i have a crash and even then they wouldnt strip the engine down, they look identical apart from maybe the carb is a few mm bigger?

Trust me bro that's a bad idea. There are policeman that pull you over then call out a police mechanic to check if your car's legit. It's pretty rare for that to happen but still...risky. Just stick a 998 in it, it's not too bad to do.

ill see what happens later on but im tight on funds atm still a student for another 2 years

he's right, they wont have to dissect the engine, just glance at the number. Then it's gonna get expensive. you could probably sell the 1275, buy a 998 and have some cash left over. besides, 998s aren't to bad. 998 coopers shift.

#32 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Local Club: on lookout

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to TMF!
Well you got off to a better start than me, I bought my 1st Mini at 16 too, but it was £350 quid, had no brakes, holes in the floor bigger than my head, shot electrics and no interior haha. Will be a great project when you get your hands on it. as mentioned before definitely declare your stuff bud, if you get caught it's game over driving wise.
Keep us all posted with that you do. Little tip too, I take a look in the project section all the time for inspiration ;).

hahaha i dont think theres any major rust bits :) yeah should be an im just so confused on what to do i want a 1275 but its 3 grand to insure but i could risk it and say its a 998 or just buy a new engine an do an upgrade next year or sommit :( i just cant wait to do stuff to it, love little details >_<

#33 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

id put a 998 back init if you want to save on insurance, as once you pay it, you never get it back, and you could use the money you save on insurance to put back into the car, as for my 998, it was £1371 for insurance, so a £1000 cheaper than it would be for your 1275... Also, if you get it insured with with only the two front bucket seats, they tend not to like that as their usually suspisious of why you've put extra safety into it and removed the back seats and so on, they can be really funny about stuff like that and will take any chance to not pay out and make your insurance invailded if you miss something out

i have 3 months to get new interior and sell the subs so theres no problem there. ive payed for the car myself and my dad said hed put 2000 to insurance so wont be to bad on my behalf plus im just guna say its a 998 cause when are they ever guna check it unless i have a crash and even then they wouldnt strip the engine down, they look identical apart from maybe the carb is a few mm bigger?

Trust me bro that's a bad idea. There are policeman that pull you over then call out a police mechanic to check if your car's legit. It's pretty rare for that to happen but still...risky. Just stick a 998 in it, it's not too bad to do.

ill see what happens later on but im tight on funds atm still a student for another 2 years

he's right, they wont have to dissect the engine, just glance at the number. Then it's gonna get expensive. you could probably sell the 1275, buy a 998 and have some cash left over. besides, 998s aren't to bad. 998 coopers shift.

i just wouldnt have a 1275 badge on it? theres an 850 one on the boot for some reason :lol:

#34 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

i just wouldnt have a 1275 badge on it? theres an 850 one on the boot for some reason :lol:

yeah, but on the left right of the block below the head the engine has a number which tells you what size it is. I'm pretty sure its illegal not to declare engine swaps to the DVLA anyway.

edit, I meant right.

Edited by tomgale, 13 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#35 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

yeah, but on the left of the block below the head the engine has a number which tells you what size it is. I'm pretty sure its illegal not to declare engine swaps to the DVLA anyway.

:xxx: knows ill look into it more when its running :)

#36 hobnob888

hobnob888

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

yeah, but on the left of the block below the head the engine has a number which tells you what size it is. I'm pretty sure its illegal not to declare engine swaps to the DVLA anyway.

:xxx: knows ill look into it more when its running :)

being a student isnt an excuse, im a student :L yet ive paid for both my insurance and the car myself....

we're just telling you its risky as they wont let you off with anything, seriously its not worth it, as you'll be done for no insurance, they'll take the car and fine you and you'll get a coupe of points on top of that (Y) and if youg et 6 points in the first two years, you lose your licence...

#37 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Lets solve this argument!

Give me the 1275 you can have my 998, shweet! ;D

#38 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

tempting ;) ive decied what im guna do everyone :lol: im guna stop beein a pleb for a start.

first things first im guna get this engine up and running. by myself a sexy 998 off ebay or anyone ho is selling and whack that in!

insure it on the 998 for 12 - 18 munths and while im driveing round in that propper tidy the 1275 by by new parts if need, full cleaning up and spraying and they store safe in the garage :D

and then when im able to afford the 1275 ill sell the 998 after ive sprayed and cleaned that up too, try sell it for the same or more :thumbsup:

#39 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

tempting ;) ive decied what im guna do everyone :lol: im guna stop beein a pleb for a start.

first things first im guna get this engine up and running. by myself a sexy 998 off ebay or anyone ho is selling and whack that in!

insure it on the 998 for 12 - 18 munths and while im driveing round in that propper tidy the 1275 by by new parts if need, full cleaning up and spraying and they store safe in the garage :D

and then when im able to afford the 1275 ill sell the 998 after ive sprayed and cleaned that up too, try sell it for the same or more :thumbsup:

I'm here if you change your mind and want some cheeky cash for that 1275 ;D

#40 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm here if you change your mind and want some cheeky cash for that 1275 ;D

running or as it is now?

#41 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Not too fussed either way mate, I'll let you get started on your project you have there first, and if you decide to sell it give me a shout :D

#42 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Not too fussed either way mate, I'll let you get started on your project you have there first, and if you decide to sell it give me a shout :D

will do lad :proud: mind if i add you on fb, be easier if i come round to selling :)

#43 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

will do lad :proud: mind if i add you on fb, be easier if i come round to selling :)

Can do mate, link is on my profile on here :proud:

#44 joewf10

joewf10

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Can do mate, link is on my profile on here :proud:

yeah already seen it, was guna ask how the F*** is your mini on 800 sommit fuly comp and all declared for a year?

#45 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Have a years no claims and it's on a modified car policy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users