38 replies to this topic

#16 MiniChelseaKelly

MiniChelseaKelly

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

My dad sprays cars for a hobby, he is not lisenced but he does not do it for business, does this mean he cant do it anymore as he would need a lisence??

#17 jerry

jerry

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hi
Can someone in the know please explain how the new legislation will affect the DIYer at home, doing occasional touch-up work from cellulose aerosol cans? Will I still be able to buy the paint and use it at home ? If I need a panel resprayed will I still be able to find someone to do it for me - and if so, will their prices have gone through the roof as a result of the new legislation ? Should I be stockpiling paint while I can still buy it, or is this pointless if the new legislation will prohibit its use from January?

thanks
Jerry

#18 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

The new legislation only bans tha sale of solvent based paint , it is already illigal to spray it without a spray booth (under dept of the environment rules ) breaking these rules will get you prosecuted but only if you do it for reward and then only if you use more than a cirtain amount
but if you spray at home and the neighbours complain you can be prosecuted

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

Would be nice to get the celly issue cleared up...

#20 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

I have just a few words to say about the EU besides various lucrative abusive words and fraises....

If we don't use Euros, then why the hell should we use anything else?

#21 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

Its all about emissions right?

Well.. whats the point in doing this, when America which account for 25-30% of the worlds pollution will carry on burning millions of gallons of oil every single day.

;D

#22 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

My next door neighbour, John, who spent his working life in the motor repair and renovation trade, will be glad he retired this year. On a general note I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this kind of meddling. Bureaucratic tentacles are already choking the life out of other livelihoods like farming (the honest kind, not agribusiness). As a simple example in my gardening job we used to take loads of mixed rubbish (not toxic) to a local farmer and give him a fiver for tipping the greenstuff in a big hole and the concrete and stone to be sorted and recycled. But then the EC pounced and next thing he was obliged to build a weighbridge, grade all the hard stuff, and was banned from burning anything; and to pay for it all he now charges £35 a load. >;D

Rant over, and somewhat off topic, but I'm old so I'm allowed. Hopefully :ermm:

#23 jerry

jerry

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:29 AM

The new legislation only bans tha sale of solvent based paint , it is already illigal to spray it without a spray booth (under dept of the environment rules ) breaking these rules will get you prosecuted but only if you do it for reward and then only if you use more than a cirtain amount
but if you spray at home and the neighbours complain you can be prosecuted

So, if I understand this right, I won't be able to buy celly paint after January, but will be able to continue to use any that I have at home, (providing the neighbours don't complain!). What about paint shops - will they be still allowed to use celly paint after January ?

Jerry

#24 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:59 AM

Some of you may or may not now that come January 2007 all solvent based paints used in car body repair industry are to be banned, thanks to our government and the EU.

As a bodyshop owner I attended a local seminar last week with one of my fellow bodyshop owners, and things are going to get really tuff and expensive for some small bodyshops.

My advice to all of you DIY people that paint at home is to get your cars painted this year because after January you’ll have to have a licence to buy your paint.

;D ;) :ermm: :genius:
hi i have just spoke to my local paint supplier who Ive known for 20 years and basically we will be able to buy paint after that date but it will be water based paints and not solvent based paints but you will be able to buy a 2k lacquer most of us wont be affected as there will be some loop holes as us lot that do minis and all other people that do older cars are classed as classics so we should still be able to buy cellulose based paints so he says he does say there should be nothing to worry about ??
WILL GO AND SEE HIM WHEN IM OVER THERE NEXT AND GET MORE INFO BUT IT SOUNDS GOOD AND NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT ??? ;)

#25 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:32 AM

This is still not clear , everyone you talk to seems to have a differant idea about what this means , but from what i understand : Celly will be used only in licenced sprayshops and will be carefully monitored .
Allready all solvent paint comes in tins marked "for profesional use only "

#26 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have two main questions for anyone in the know.
Is there any difference in spraying water based paints to spraying celly? i.e can I use it with my existing gun?
Will it spray over celly or do you need a barrier coat?

Thanks for the help

David

#27 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Finally some more info on this in this month's "Practical Classics".
I just read the article in the supermarket rather than buy the mag, so this is from memory. :w00t:
In a nutshell, from next year you WILL need a licence to buy Celly. However, all is not lost - rather than a licence as in "I'm a licenced spray shop" as I expected, one off licences will be available to home restorers with a classic car project - it will apply only to the car in question.

As yet, we still don't know if there will be a fee for the licence (though it's hard to imagine anything coming for free these days), or what exactly a "classic car" is defined as. I think we can all agree that a Mini will qualify though! :-

#28 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Hmm, seems that Mr Retro 10's neds to get his FAQ published pretty soon. As I understand it Rustolium isn't a car specific paint, it is paint for metalwork, much that same as Hamerite, and as such would a license be needed? And in any case - he aint spraying - or is it just an environmental issue dealing with the disposal of waste?

Either way once again the simple pleasures of the British public are being ruined by some :ermm: on the continent. First sausages and chrisps and now painting your car. what next driving on the right !!!! rant over

Matt

#29 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Lol, it's under construciton mate but nearly done now since i've been busy.

You WONT need a licence for rustoleum or hammerite, it's thinned with white spirits.

#30 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Do we have any more info on this new legislation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users