#16 Rich286

Rich286

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

but if no one whant's what the thief has stolen then he won't steel another

But this rusty mini is obviously not stolen and has a v5 and if you brought a brand new heritage shell that also is not stolen so surely no car theft has gone on through this process just a lovely condition mk1 has come out of it. I'm also sure that in a crash that the brand new shell will hold up a lot better than a rusty shell that has been patched up or had new non genuine panels put on etc. But i do see your point someone could nick a mini and strip it and take its identity away

#17 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

If you used a brand new heritage it would be perfectly legal. If you used a shell that had fell off the back of a lorry with no ID, that could easily be stolen.

#18 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Vehicle theft aside, the reality is that someone will probably just buy it so that they can assign the identity to a much later post 72 model, in order to illegally avoid paying road tax. Worse still, at some stage they'll probably then sell it on for well over the odds to some poor unsuspecting mug on Ebay, claiming that it's a Mk1 that "must have been reshelled at some point!" :rolleyes:

.......and behold another dodgy Ebay log book special will be amongst us!! >_<

Edited by AVV IT, 19 June 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#19 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

Vehicle theft aside, the reality is that someone will probably just buy it so that they can assign the identity to a much later post 72 model, in order to illegally avoid paying road tax. Worse still, at some stage they'll probably then sell it on for well over the odds to some poor unsuspecting mug on Ebay, claiming that it's a Mk1 that "must have been reshelled at some point!" :rolleyes:

.......and behold another dodgy Ebay log book special will be amongst us!! >_<

OR I would buy it and build the mini of my dreams, with the original shell... :D

#20 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

But this rusty mini is obviously not stolen and has a v5 and if you brought a brand new heritage shell that also is not stolen so surely no car theft has gone on through this process just a lovely condition mk1 has come out of it. I'm also sure that in a crash that the brand new shell will hold up a lot better than a rusty shell that has been patched up or had new non genuine panels put on etc. But i do see your point someone could nick a mini and strip it and take its identity away

you really think if you stuck this v5 on ebay the buyer would buy a new shell ?

#21 Rich286

Rich286

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

you really think if you stuck this v5 on ebay the buyer would buy a new shell ?

I'm sure there will be a lot of people willing to give it ago doing up, looking at the complete rebuilds section on the forum it's amazing to what extent people go to when restoring. If there was more people like that then there would be a dam site more mini's on the road. I just don't see the point in scrapping it, there's hardly any mk1's on the road as it is

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Very few second hand car adverts even mention the V5, and you don't actually need to be in possession of one, as long as the car has a legitimate identity recorded with Swansea. So why do clapped out old Minis, with terminal body rot mention the V5 so prominently?

#23 JustSteve

JustSteve

Puke-Boy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Because usually it shows that its NOT stolen...

#24 waddle

waddle

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

i dont get the how reshelling is promoting robbing cars when you can buy a v5 for next to nothing, surely if youve just robbed a 2 grand car your going to put a new vin on it and sell it , not keep it somewhere for ages to strip it and sell it for bits, thus incresing your chances of getting caught and reducing your profit margin?

#25 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

haven't you just answered your own question ?

#26 waddle

waddle

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

umm , dont think so, im saying there arnt going to be any stolen shells around because of that...... :/

Edited by waddle, 20 June 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#27 mymini007

mymini007

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

If you advertise it on ebay as you have stated it on here, you will get a lot more than £50 for it. You are doing nothing wrong by selling a rusty old mini with a V5 on ebay
What the new buyer does with it is up to them.

I would say more than £200 thats for sure, if the car is complete the scrap value alone will be around £100. But thats not really what we are discussing here is it??? :shifty:

sounds like you are supporting the steeling and ringing of minis

Not at all, but if someone is going to ring it they will, no amount of whining on a forum is going to stop that, you may also see a later post saying if I had the time and the money I would buy a new heritage shell and re-build it, I suppose that would be ringing too?

Where do you draw the line? I have just replaced the whole front end of my car with new panels, does that mean the front of my car is a ringer? If I replace the back end too does that mean its been ringed? So what the difference?

#28 waddle

waddle

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

naa because the bit in the middle will be left :P, no im with you all this "ringing" just do whatever you want , people will moan but its not like it makes a difrence and your not hurting anyone

Edited by waddle, 20 June 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#29 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

If you advertise it on ebay as you have stated it on here, you will get a lot more than £50 for it. You are doing nothing wrong by selling a rusty old mini with a V5 on ebay
What the new buyer does with it is up to them.

I would say more than £200 thats for sure, if the car is complete the scrap value alone will be around £100. But thats not really what we are discussing here is it??? :shifty:

sounds like you are supporting the steeling and ringing of minis

Not at all, but if someone is going to ring it they will, no amount of whining on a forum is going to stop that, you may also see a later post saying if I had the time and the money I would buy a new heritage shell and re-build it, I suppose that would be ringing too?

Where do you draw the line? I have just replaced the whole front end of my car with new panels, does that mean the front of my car is a ringer? If I replace the back end too does that mean its been ringed? So what the difference?

if there wasn't a cheap ready available supply of log books for sale it would make passing off a stolen mini a lot harder

you need to read up on this subject although it been covered many time it would seam you missed the info

repairing a mini is a bit like Triggers broom (same broom it's just had 5 new heads and 3 new handles)

as long as it's a like for like repair you can fix as much as you want

a new shell has no identity of it's own so you are not passing 1 car off as another

#30 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

naa because the bit in the middle will be left :P, no im with you all this "ringing" just do whatever you want , people will moan but its not like it makes a difrence and your not hurting anyone

try telling Bean that having her mini stolen didn't hurt her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users