#1 MYBRITISHOPEN

MYBRITISHOPEN

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

I am looking for a new body shell with its documentation. From 1997-2000 years.
If you know who sells someone, please, send me a pm or an e-mail to [email protected]

thanks

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

British motor heritage will sell you a new shell for that era

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/minishell.htm

#4 MYBRITISHOPEN

MYBRITISHOPEN

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

thanks, maybe I didn't explain well, I am looking for a second hand body shell with documents (V5)
If somebody has a used bodyshell or know who sells one, please tell me. thanks

#5 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

One of the mini breakers on here will have a load!!

#6 MYBRITISHOPEN

MYBRITISHOPEN

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

who is him? Please, tell me here or send me a pm. I'd be very grateful to you

Edited by MYBRITISHOPEN, 02 July 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#7 MYBRITISHOPEN

MYBRITISHOPEN

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

I continue looking for the body shell, If somebody has anyone, please contact with me by p.m. 

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

You CAN NOT use a second-hand shell on a road-going Mini in the UK. It is completely illegal, unless you subject it to an IVA test, which any standard Mini will fail. Please do not seek support here for something that is illegal.

You can use parts of a second hand shell to repair another, but I would advise extreme caution as you could compromise the identity of the shell if you use too many parts of another, and in any case the rules about that are not clear. Something like doors or bonnet ought to be ok. However, you can use as many new replacement panels as you need to repair a shell, but common sense suggests that beyond a certain point it would be claimed that you, not being the original manufacturer or their successor, were building a new shell, which is not allowed. You can also swap an old shell for a new shell of the same specification, from the original manufacturer or their direct successor (i.e. Heritage), and just need to inform VOSA of the new VIN number (they will most likely insist on an inspection) but as far as I can see, you can't use a complete shell made by anyone else (genuine unused Rover.BL/BMC stock etc sitting in the back of some garage would be ok of course) so you can't build a complete shell yourself from parts.

You can't even build a car, using the identity of your second-hand shell, because all the other parts will be non-original and will fail the points system, meaning that it will effectively be a newly built car, and subject to IVA.

I suggest that you only proceed with a shell swap if the car is never, ever going to be registered for use on the road in the UK, i.e. is purely for some form of motorsport, in which case you should check the rules under which you race to see what is allowed. If you use it on the road, expect it to be siezed and crushed, as the MOT tester will probably feel the need to report it to VOSA.

Edited by tiger99, 10 February 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

If you use the second hand shell with the correct V5 then there is no problem what so ever

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

That is not the case.  To legally use an existing identity and shell you have to also keep at least 2 major assemblies from the original vehicle.  Even with a brand new replacement shell the same rule applies to using an old identity.

This enquiry seems to be coming from Spain however.  I don't think it's possible to export a shell out of the country with it's original documents, it wouldn't get through customs.  The car would have to be registered as broken before you could export just a shell as parts AFAIK.

Edited by Dan, 10 February 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#11 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Like I said no problem what so ever, there is absolutely no way to tell.

How many cars on this forum have had the subframes replaced, steering rack replaced, suspension replaced, engine/gearbox replaced, they wouldn't qualify either according to the strict letter of the law.

David

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

And as Dan has said, the OP is in Spain!

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Difficult to prove is not the same as legal. The post above made it sound legal.

Edited by Dan, 10 February 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#14 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

That is not the case.  To legally use an existing identity and shell you have to also keep at least 2 major assemblies from the original vehicle.  Even with a brand new replacement shell the same rule applies to using an old identity.

This enquiry seems to be coming from Spain however.  I don't think it's possible to export a shell out of the country with it's original documents, it wouldn't get through customs.  The car would have to be registered as broken before you could export just a shell as parts AFAIK.

The first paragraph is also incorrect. You can replace all major components as long as they are replaced with new parts manufactured by the original company, therefore engines and subframes can be replaced provided they are new during a new reshell.

I think I understood it correctly.

Edited by Jase, 10 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

That is to some extent true (it applies more to the points system which is applied to conversions rather than restorations), but is still difficult to comply with. Supplies of new engines have all but dried up, same for gearboxes. Both subframes counts as one assembly because together they form the chassis, and have you seen the price of new genuine ones now? Each axle counts as one assembly so you could build those with all new I guess. Although all parts used need to be to original spec for the vehicle being rebuilt, not everything is available for all years. You couldn't for example use a NOS magic wand box and call it original to an '80s Mini. You can build like this but it's not easy and likely costs more than buying a good car in the first place. This isn't re-shelling though, it's rebuilding a shell that has an identity and keeping it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users