198 replies to this topic

#136 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Studying radiators and I will be using the MTB2 frame.

What am I missing here?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27c0f18662

or pay more???

http://www.superfast...2ALUMRADKIT.htm

Thanks

#137 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

Nothing wrong with the first one, they are essentially the same radiator. The only thing that would put me off the ebay one is the sellers 98.8% feedback. My radiator (2 core aluminium alloy) cost about £50-60 so anything about that price would be fine.

Kieran

#138 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

KB thanks for the reply.  At 60$ US its crazy.  My sister lives there and out of state so she pays no tax and free shipping.  Even if I modify the rad itll cost less than the minispares.

#139 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Gents,

After identifying the radiator for the job my sights are set on the front shocks for the MTB-2 frame.  Ive found AFCO shocks on the web but Im not sure of the size of the shocks.

Any idea specifically what I should be asking for here?

#140 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hey Gang,

Im off for a bit but lately we got the mini outside and gave it a skirt to sand blast under the car and contain the sand.  it worked fine.

also I painted the engine cover but the iPhone photo doesn't do this justice.  It does look really sweet for rattle can paint from home depo which is a big box store in North America.

By the end of the year I want the bottom rust treated with POR 15 and the rear subframe back on less working breaks just to help move it around a bit.

Cheers.

Attached Files

#141 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Gents,

Im looking at the polymounts for the vtec into the MTB2 subframe.

1. Do I really need this?

2. If YES. Can I get some else where that are cheaper?

Reason I ask is I was trying to avoid the 3200$US package cause I could get the radiator of EBAY but now these mounts make the difference in just buying the expensive package instead of the 2400$ subframe alone

Damn it. Thought I had them beat for a second.

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

#142 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

I presume you are referring to the engine mounts? 

If yes then no you don't need them but they will stop the engine from knocking about. I wouldn't pay a fortune for them though

Kieran

#143 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

OK thanks KieranB,

I have found a host of them now on EBAY that all look the same as the minitec ones at a quarter of the price almost.  The same goes for the QA1 shocks.  I just have to find the right coil over for it now.

#144 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

I need help regarding shocks here.

I have identified the QA1 shocks that I need but I don't know what exactly I need specs wise.  Can anyone answer me the following.

Stroke

Valve compression rebound

and last the extended and compressed height of the shocks.  Also what weight coil over I need.  I think its 400lbs for this.

thanks

#145 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Well to some it may not be much but because I cant weld for a couple months Im tackling the engine.

Got it on a mount and that was a victory for me!!!!  Ill change clutch, gaskets and that's about it.  Sand blast what I can and clean and finish with paint.

Happy new years all.

Attached Files

#146 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Got the rear subframe blasted and POR15 afterwards.  More work happening this weekend.

Here is a nice before and after ish.  I didn't capture the shot with all the rust and grime.

30Attached File  photo (1).JPG   46.21K   5 downloads

Attached Files

#147 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

Working with POR15 continues as we armour the MINI

bottom complete will be done tomorrow with some more welding and cleaning the engine at the same time.

Attached Files

#148 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Floor done, up at the front I stayed away from finishing it because of the RHD modification with the MTB subframe. So Ill finish that along with the front fire wall this summer.

The POR15 cured well and is still doing its thing now after 12 hrs and is rock hard and the entire floor was followed as per directions with the temperature a few degrees lower than what was advertised. Ill keep you posted once I store the car for the next couple of weeks before I see it again and see if anything happens but Im convinced its good to go for a number of years. No winter and salt driving for this car.

Attached Files

#149 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Engine degreased

Attached Files

#150 30 mm

30 mm

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Well Ive been away for a stretch but its nice to see the sand blasting and POR 15 work coming together and so this week Im putting the subframe together minus breaks just to get the rear end on wheels.

Youll notice my daughter had some free time and obviously thought the marketing folks at GAZ shocks should add a little flavour to their boxes. 

I do have a question about the bolts going from the frame to the foot board.  Is it normal that its almost impossible to screw in by hand? and do they require a nut on the other end in the car?

More news, the MTB2 subframe is purchased and on its way.  The engine is done minus tranny instal, wheels and tires on their way and that's pretty much it.  By this weekend I hope to add pics of the rear end on wheels!!!!  This is a mega milestone for me as a human being.... PERIOD!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users