Photo

Would A 'fake' Rollcage Increase My Insurance?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 gwatkins15

gwatkins15

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Reminds me of this... Watch from 10:28 !!!

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

why would you want to make the inside of the mini even smaller if it's not going to have any purpose?!

I couldn't work that out either.

#18 milkybar.kid

milkybar.kid

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

It wont necessarily make your insurance go up, but if you dont tell your insurance company and you have an accident they will(I garentee this) will tell you that you are not covered.

BEEN THERE GOT THE SHIRT, HAT GLOVES, PAPERWORK, THE LOT TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

Edited by milkybar.kid, 29 July 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#19 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

why would you want to make the inside of the mini even smaller if it's not going to have any purpose?!

I couldn't work that out either.

For the same reason mini owners add on a whole mutiltuide of other accessories they like the look of it!

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 29 July 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#20 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Because look like race car!

Always makes me laugh when I see improperly mounted harnesses going over the back of normal seats. At least if you had a big crash it wouldn't matter if you hit your head on the 'show cage' because it would already have been detached from your body. Problem solved.

#21 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Just don't tell them and if they find out, tell them you're a builder and it's scaffolding.

#22 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Just don't tell them and if they find out, tell them you're a builder and it's scaffolding.

That's one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard in a while. So you tell them you're using it for work when most likely insured SDP and just to make sure they invalidate your insureance you stick some tube by your head welded in the shape of a roll cage and try and pass it off as scaffolding. What an excellent idea.

#23 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

That MCM link is hilarious - forgot how funny those guys are!

#24 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

That's one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard in a while. So you tell them you're using it for work when most likely insured SDP and just to make sure they invalidate your insureance you stick some tube by your head welded in the shape of a roll cage and try and pass it off as scaffolding. What an excellent idea.

Think you will find James was being uber sarcastic with his remarks

#25 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Wow.

It was a joke, of course no ones going to think it's scaffolding! :lol:

#26 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

One of my mates bought a Nova with a cage in, the welding looked like pigeon carp, and so he set about cutting it out, went in with a hacksaw expecting that it would be a busy afternoon.

he went through it in about 5 mins, it turns out that it was aluminium tubing, really strong in the event of an accident, but at least it looked cool, well as cool as a wonky ally cage painted in emulsion can look :P

#27 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

okay been busy the last few days i want to give my reasons... im 17 i cant afford a real cage so wondering if scaffholding poles or such others could do the looks job without costing me on insurance

i might go with a fake rear cage made out of some pvc corners and the rest being pipe insulation

and people no need for argueing we all have one thing in common here - minis - lets not squabble

#28 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

okay been busy the last few days i want to give my reasons... im 17 i cant afford a real cage so wondering if scaffholding poles or such others could do the looks job without costing me on insurance

i might go with a fake rear cage made out of some pvc corners and the rest being pipe insulation

and people no need for argueing we all have one thing in common here - minis - lets not squabble

If you dont have the money for a cage, dont do it with pvc pipe, it will look carp, just dont worry about some pipework and spend the money on other thing that will make it better, faster, smoother or something

#29 ajtom94

ajtom94

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

very valid point but i dont have much left to do to the car... with the money from my parents the car will be finished to how i want it - minus larger engine (as i wont get insured with plonking a bigger engine in)

#30 blakie

blakie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

Wet myself at this one! Sime people are so up tight.

As for the cage. Use smartie tubes linked together. Light and affordable. Plus i cant see your insure kicking a claim out should you ever make one.

Smarties always have the answer!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users