#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

May be a bit of a weird question but:

Can automotive paint, not 2 pack (ppg) be applied using a brush? I'm going to be doing some art on the bootlid, and will be using a brush for some bits. I don't mind if all the paint isn't perfectly smooth but I will try to keep it as thin as possible, then will flat it out and probably laquer the entire thing.

Like I'm said, I'm looking for an answer whether it will stay on the car or flake off etc, rather than whether it will give a perfect finish :D

Cheers

#2 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:19 PM

I hand panted a roll cage once in black cellulose, didn't flake off or anything. Looked pretty good actually. :D

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:00 PM

I can't really see a reason why not, providing it was thinned to the correct amount for brushing (obviously much thicker than if it were to be sprayed), and if a really good quality brush was used - but yeah, I think it would be ok....

However, Paintman on here is the dude to ask! :D

#4 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Cant see why it would flake off if you laquerd over it.

Im getting my outer shell resprayed professionally. But im going to be painting the inside of my mini myself using brush applied hammerite.
floors etc.

Would be interested in seeing the boot lid! :D
I once painted a bootlid of a mini for a art exam at school. I did it in picasso style though. Black, white and gray. With a reg plate on it saying Picasso! :)

Was never on a car though.

#5 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

I was thinking exactly the same, I painted my car a few weeks ago with 2 pack and a spray gun, came out ok for first go. I have then rubbed out some orange peel and in some places i didn't put the paint on thick enough and its gone back to the primer, I know i should mask off everything and get the spray gun out but for the sake of a small area it seems a lot of work and i could quite easily cut back the inperfections of brush painting. Any opinions? or am i just being lazy :D

#6 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Wasn't this how the coachbuilders used to do it? Thick, brushed coats and relying on rubbing down to get the desired finish. Very labour intensive but end results just as good?

Don't see why brush applied paint should be more liable to flaking if the preparation is the same......

#7 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

If paint is applied to a smooth surface using a brush it is unlikely the finish will be anywhere near as good as if were sprayed. However if you were to be doing signwriting or similar and the paint would only be a series of lines and it was an apposing colour, then brush painting would be quite fine.

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:41 PM

I've seen a brush being used for pin striping on Hot rods, so can’t see a problem with for the small details
And if you use lacquer it will
A: give it a nice glossy finish
and
B: stop it from being rubbed off by polish etc.

#9 Paintman

Paintman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

Yep the paint can be applied using a brush. Make sure that you flat the boot lid before you do your art work, this will ensure that the art work is keyed and the lacquer also has a good key so it won’t flake off.

Why use a brush? Why not air brush it instead?

One more thing do not thin the paint use it straight out of the tin, thinned car paint does not cover very well when applied with a brush.

#10 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

Why use a brush? Why not air brush it instead?

i purchased a basic airbrush from my local model shop for £18 and it was brilliant, i used it for painting some small chequres on a car and it was fine and i didn't laqaure over it. plus you can use 2 pack that way. it came as a kit with all instructions, gas canister and various acrilic paints and thinners. One of the best things i have ever bourght i would say.

#11 robpeacey

robpeacey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

this whole car was painted with a foam roller, to be honnest it needs a cut to be perfect but for £50 i cant argue at all. just about the same as spraying but much cheaper!! its all in the technique.....

sorry about the size of the photos!

#12 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Cheers everyone, will probably begin the paint job during easter, will post in projects.

Incidentally I have a proper dual action paasche airbrush, but for this prefer to use brushes, since I'm more used to them (granted on canvas :ermm:)

Attached Files

#13 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

You can bring that roller round and do mine if you like... i'll pay cash??

#14 robpeacey

robpeacey

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

Pavel,

ha ha, i thiught someone might pick up on that, that aint mine, its the unis test car for somebody doing their masters in data aqusition. 10 year old formula Renault but still looks the part! im a poor student, well poor now ive finished the car!!

You can bring that roller round and do mine if you like... i'll pay cash??

its not as hard as it may seem. the trick is to use a small dense foam roller, avalible grom wilko for about £5 i think for the tray and rollers too, stick it on any which way but when you go to leave it, roll thr roller lightly across the paint all the same way, i.e. down the door, down, down down, i suspect you get the idea............

This removes all of the deep bubbles, hopefully then when its dry you can do another coat until sufficiently covers the colour/ panel underneath. some parts can look a bit orange peely but this is easy remidied with a fine cutting compound.

i use coach synthetic enamel un thinned, it works well, car version of dulux basicly!

does a nice job........ dont you think?

#15 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

I thought this roller painting lark rung a bell so I did a quick search on another forum this link is the original from a US site Roller painting US and this one has some additions for doing the same in the UK Rollerpainting

If I hadn't got a compessor already I'd be giving it a go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users