#16 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

wow thakyou steamo!!!

that link is amazing, i will definately be painting the car with this method over the summer!!!!!

i def. suggest everyone checks this out!!! :ermm:

#17 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

wow if that works that is my spray job problems sorted!!!!

probably a question for the likes of paintman, but does anyone reckon that you can do this with metallics (cellulose based)
and what about lacquer????

#18 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:45 AM

I've painted a clubby like that. Enamel paint, rollered on. Works a treat, but I didn't bother too much with sanding (since I jsut needed the paint for rust protection really!), still came out quite well, and I don't know about rustoleum, but I used Sadolin and the gloss is more than enough for me in the sun!

And As far as I know you can't do this with metallics, but I was always curious, what would happen if you were to get a solid colour and mix it with the silver?

#19 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

If it's good enough for Rolls Royce and always has been, I don't see why you can't make a good job of it on your mini!

At Rolls, I believe they put around 7 coats of brushing cellulose onto the car, cutting back each one until it's perfectly smooth, so the paint layer is incredibly thick...... If you don't cut back between layers, you WILL get air bubbles and lumps which go back to bare metal or primer and they'll show through as soon as you cut back the final coat...

If it's done properly you could save yourself a lot of money! Don't forget to wear the breathing masks though, those fumes are still in the air using brushing paint. Just a lot less airborn paint dust....!!

#20 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:15 PM

how about lacquer though???

#21 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

how about lacquer though???

You don't need laquer with Cellulose base colours......

Metallics are a different matter!

#22 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

hmm i think im getting all mixed up, maybe need to know what types of paint are what. sorry but im an utter noob to different paint, im good at the actual painting just knowing whats what i aint got a clue.

#23 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:45 PM

I know for a fact that Hammerite smooth silver is a pain in the A55 to brush on evenly without brush marks

As I tried using it for my engine bay, gave up and used spray cans instead

#24 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:12 PM

I know for a fact that Hammerite smooth silver is a pain in the A55 to brush on evenly without brush marks

iv had a play with my old bonnet today and have painted some stripes with gold hammerite smooth, i used a 4'' roller as someone mentioned before, i must say im very pleased with the results, very smooth and hasnt even been flatted at all, im thinking of doin the whole bonnet just to see what i can get it like, but at the moment no streaks and of course no bleedin brush marks.
i would suggest try using a small roller got mine from wilkos for £2

#25 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

read the american report and another similar one on a VW forum, so bought some Rustoleum and gave it a go today. it's only it's first coat (of six) but it's looking pretty shiny. it obviously needs flatting tomorrow, there are a couple of small runs and its a little thin in places but on the whole very pleased with it.

Attached Files

#26 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

so then guys

in the UK what paint make do i need for a jet black roof (reccomendations) and where can i get the bits for doing the painting e.g. rollers etc

cheers

ted

#27 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:43 PM

Sorry to do this but is that an F3 car sittin beside that Mini? :thumbsup:

#28 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

flatted paint down today, not too bad looking. even flatted down with 600 grit and it still has a light shine to it.

so then guys

in the UK what paint make do i need for a jet black roof (reccomendations) and where can i get the bits for doing the painting e.g. rollers etc

cheers

ted

i used tremclad rustoleum available from tooled-up. 7349 gloss black, rollers from asda and white spirit not thinners.

Attached Files

#29 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

Ordered my paint from tooled up yesterday, after a bit of jiggery pokery the car will be painted marlin blue. I'm a bit concerned about getting the paint in the awkward bits (guttering, seams) so i may attempt to spray as much of it as i can :errr:

oh, and if anybody is thinking of painting there car but want mettalic my mate just bought a tin of the silver (listed as white aluminium) and it looks fantastic. Looks like a proper metallic paint job, but for £40 ;D

#30 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

Glad that link came in handy - it'd be very interesting to see photos of your mates (and yours when its done)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users