http://www.westcount...topic.php?t=356

#32 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

here's some more photo's of mine after 5 coats of paint, all with a roller. final cut and polish this week. i've taken a close up of the wing so you can see the finish (not sanded or buffed) very thin coats now going on 50:50 mix and paint very slowly !!!

Attached Files

#33 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

You can see the silver in the midst of painting here :lol:

http://www.westcount...topic.php?t=356

bought some seats off al today and he took me out in that mini, my heart was still racing 20 mins after i got out, it's BONKERS.

#34 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

final polish this weekend and it's looking good

Attached Files

#35 Steamo

Steamo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:45 AM

Nice one, looks good - seems to be a good option for a cheap paint job if you've got the time!

#36 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

Got any closeup pics? ;D

#37 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

Got any closeup pics? :-

i'll do some this weekend if it stops raining long enough and i can polish it up.

Nice one, looks good - seems to be a good option for a cheap paint job if you've got the time!

cost is £26.50 so far (and about 4 weeks in time but thats mainly been the weather as i have no garage, you could easily do it in a week if you had somewhere dry) though i already had the polish and cutting compound.

#38 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

can't complain for the price, those stripes make it look really smart :-

i will be getting the roller on mine this week, painting it in rustoleums marlin blue :D

Just replaced the roof on the carport to allow me to do it ^_^

#39 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hey guys, this thread has got me thinking, i have paint, i have car in need of paint, i have not got the money to be bent over by a car sprayer, i do have somewhere i can get paint rollers and white spirits. I just have a few questions 1) do you think it would work with primer (i have two massive tins of the stuff) 2) how much of the white spirit do i use? 3) am i being a lazy *astard and should read the us site?

Yeti

#40 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

yes read yhe u.s site its a good read anyway :D

but the jist of it is (as ive read it religously for the past 3 months)

you cant use primer
put the paint on as thinly as you can cope with
sand every 2 coats
Rustoleum rocks!!!

one guy even had his torque wrench fall on the car off the shelf and it still didn't mark it :-

#41 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

the us site is a good read, there's also a link to the vw club where a few members have painted their beetles and the like. the way i did it was to thin the first two coats down with 30% white spirit and paint slowly then sand-- 600 grit, next two the same---800 grit , top two coats at 50% white spirit--- sand 1200 grit. i had a few issues at the start as the site says don't use primer but i already had standard grey car primer on the front end and rest of car was standard factory paint. where i had primed the car the paint went on much,much better and didn't run and where the primer hadn't been flatted was even better again. it runs on the factory paint and smears/slides because your using a roller (paint had been flatted with 180 grit prior to rollering) i had some farecla to cut and polish the paint but this didn't really work with rustoleum and turned it dull, t-cut is much better but only with rustoleum, wouldn't use it on decent 2 pack/celluose. be aware though that the waxing and subsequent polishing out is very hard graft, mine took 10 days to get wax to polish up. it takes colour polish very well (colourmagic) see the nearside wing in last pic above, it's the only panel with this on and you can see depth of shine is different, just need some dry weather to finish it.

ask if you need any more info.

#42 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 01:06 PM

just put the 1st proper coat on mine. i had to put it on with about 10% spirits as otherwise it just would nt cover. How long did you leave between coats Gareth1234?

#43 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

just put the 1st proper coat on mine. i had to put it on with about 10% spirits as otherwise it just would nt cover. How long did you leave between coats Gareth1234?

first coats were all about getting a level so it was sanded hard anyway.about 2 hrs between coats, it depended on weather because i did it outside. time i got round the car i had time for a cup of tea and a smoke then set off again,but always started in the same spot. further point to note, now the sun has been on mine for a week it really is starting to harden off and getting a very uneven finish now, it'll need sanding flat again. it's like a rippling effect in the paint.

#44 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

are you using a rubber sanding block? If not that may well be your problem as you will rubbing the paint different depths. I'd definately advise getting one, you can get a much better finish with it. :proud:

#45 gareth1234

gareth1234

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

new addition added to must buy list, but i did most of it with a leccy sander.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users