#31 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Look's great.
If you copy the IMG code from photo bucket the pictures will be embedded in the post. http://www.theminifo...mages-onto-tmf/

Edited by alex-95, 16 August 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#32 donjarr

donjarr

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hi m8

I must admit that looks really good, plus its very subtle as in from a distance and certain angle it looks black, until you get close up.

:proud:

#33 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks guys, gonna try some more cheap stuff in bright orange for the pit bike at work, depending on how that goes I'll buy the same again for the car or the more expensive stuff if it's not that great on bigger curves... But in saying that I've worked out £250 should do the whole car with the good stuff so still shed loads cheaper than a paint job! And a nicer finish :-)

#34 donjarr

donjarr

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Have you thought of wrapping door handles and wing mirrors with the carbon effect??

:)

#35 donjarr

donjarr

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

ps, post some pictures of the pit bike before and after :)

#36 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yeah I will do with the pit bike. Should arrive tomorrow so hopefully get it done over the weekend. As for handles, they are pretty tight curves so will have to have a go with the good stuff when I get some as the cheapo I did the roof with would never do that tight a bend. Windmirrors should be ok though, Im planning to do mine at a later date

#37 MiniMike87

MiniMike87

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Must admit when i first starting reading this i thought ohh noo the mini looks nice as it is, but now Ive seen some on, it looks really good, good job :-)

#38 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

That looks really good, especially for a 1st/2nd attempt!

#39 Jayme 1275

Jayme 1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

just seen ths thread and had a quick read so i apologise if this has been brought up, i was looking at anothe rforum an noticed a m3 wrapped bright orange (of all things lol) but he done a good job using cheap vinyl of ebay, after a few week the coulour started fading leaving a blotchy apperance.

somthing you may want to check out

#40 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

It's ok when I wrap the whole car I'll be using the top quality stuff. Should the roof start to do that I'll just replace the roof piece. I can't see it fading to be honest but you never know! I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

#41 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ok so we did the bike (again in the cheap stuff, cost £30 for the lot) and it turned out brilliantly. There are some very tight bends on the panels, definitely more complex than anything I'll run into on the mini so should be good to go now. Just waiting for the vinyl samples to arrive :-)

Didn't remember to take a before with the panels on, but here's what I did take

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 MiNi_BoRe

MiNi_BoRe

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

looks good mate, just out of interest, where did you get the vinyl wraping from? and the kit to fit it? i might give it a go myself.....! looks really smart!

#43 donjarr

donjarr

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm glad you shared that, because it goes to show it can cover really tricky complex curves well, and still looks good afterwards and doesn't look wrapped at all, more pre coloured plastic.

:-)

#44 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

looks good mate, just out of interest, where did you get the vinyl wraping from? and the kit to fit it? i might give it a go myself.....! looks really smart!

I just bought it off of eBay mate, as long as the description has "air free" or "bubble free" in the title your pretty much good to go. As for tools, you need a heat gun, (hair dryer would also work) a squeegee (£2 on eBay) and a man sized thumb lol. This cheap stuff is hard work though as it sticks instantly. The more expensive stuff (£280 tops for a mini) doesn't actually adhere until pressure is applied making it a hell of a lot easier to work with. The good stuff is called Scotchprint 1080. It's available on eBay from a guy in Poland, or from America via metrostyling.com. The eBay guy is ever so slightly cheaper and postage is faster with him too.

I'm glad you shared that, because it goes to show it can cover really tricky complex curves well, and still looks good afterwards and doesn't look wrapped at all, more pre coloured plastic.

:-)

It honestly doesn't look wrapped up close either, really pleased with how it came out. I'm no so impressed with the finish of the vinyl though, it was advertised as glossy but it's not very glossy really. But hey it was £30! I'm hoping that the expensive stuff will have a better gloss finish!

But in saying that when this stuff was on the roll (with the white backing on it) it looked really good and shiny. It was just when we applied it to the dark grey of the moped that it lost its shine.... Worst comes to worst I'll primer the mini with a white dusting before I fit it

#45 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

read your thread, looked GOOD but what vinyl did you eventually end up using as may try myself, for 35 notes whAT AV I GOT TO LOSE .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users