32 replies to this topic

#1 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Well, after years of messing around with a project, I went from wanting a N/A fast road 1293 to a T2 turbo and now I have finally settled on a B18C4 powered car.

I ordered the parts from Allspeed and today they showed up. I'm in deep already and guess there is nothing left to do but put this sucker together.

Posted Image

So any questions, just ask and I will be uploading pictures here and there.

Oh and I do have the engine as well, it's from a 2000 Civic Aerodeck with around 80k on the clock.

#2 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

looks like a good project! Any pics of the clubman its going in? I see you're from Essex, would be good to see the completed article around town :proud: good luck with it!

Max

#3 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Good to see you get started bud, best of luck with it. will be watching closely

Kieran

#4 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am indeed in Essex, over by Stansted airport. I don't usually find myself in Romford, but I'm sure I can take a trip when it's done if you fancy a ride.

As for the car, here it was looking a little sorry for itself:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then after a small amount of welding:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The welding was done by Andy on here, nice guy, I would recommend him.

#5 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hmmm that shell seems like one i had hmm. (that i sold obviously not theft) Whom did you buy this off sorry for being nosey? :P

#6 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Loos's great, What's your plan's for it? Sleeper? :shifty:

#7 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hmmm that shell seems like one i had hmm. (that i sold obviously not theft) Whom did you buy this off sorry for being nosey? :P

I got it from the STIG on here, to be honest, he sold it to me as "rust free" I was a naive 17 year old who was just excited to get my hands on a mini. I have no idea if he knew it was as bad as it was. I wouldn't like to speculate.

Loos's great, What's your plan's for it? Sleeper? :shifty:

It will be a sleeper, I don't want it to be loud or too sporty. I'm sticking with 10s which comes with its own issues. I have the 3.4 final drive from Watsons on order to combat that. Using 7.9" 4 pots.

I will be including airconditioning too.

Edited by Rhys, 10 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#8 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

I got it from the STIG on here, to be honest, he sold it to me as "rust free" I was a naive 17 year old who was just excited to get my hands on a mini. I have no idea if he knew it was as bad as it was. I wouldn't like to speculate.

Oh right did the front subframe mount bolt holes on the floor have grinding marks on it? :P

#9 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Oh right did the front subframe mount bolt holes on the floor have grinding marks on it? :P

They may well have done. I bought it in December 2007 so I don't know if you would have had it back then.

#10 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Good to see you finally getting started

Hmmm thought you was attempting a z-cars conversion when I saw a picture of the shell!

Air con? you posh git! :mrcool:

#11 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Good to see you finally getting started

Hmmm thought you was attempting a z-cars conversion when I saw a picture of the shell!

Air con? you posh git! :mrcool:

Yeah it's all going on at the moment! Well, I say air con but it's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment. Get the sucker in and running and go from there I think.

I have been working on repairing the rear arch and closing panels, replacing the rear bins and sill strengthening plates as well as the rear valance. I will get some more pictures up later today.

#12 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

So yesterday was just one of those days. Mid way through welding and the welder packs up. The power cable snapped and managed to weld some wire inside of the sleeve, I have no idea how, but hey it happens.

So I fixed that first thing, finished up a couple of small welding jobs then had the painful and tedious job of stripping down my 10x6 wellers and have primered them ready for tyres tomorrow morning, then I will do another coat of primer as the garage is bound to scuff them and then spray the top coat.

Posted Image

Here is the pile of rust that came off the body today

Posted Image

Edited by Rhys, 17 August 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#13 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

good stuff :) kinda wish i got a b18 block now... but then im hopeing for cheap(er) insurance :)

#14 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image

If you got time you could build a mini mini with that!

Good work with the wheels, I always thought majority of people took them someone to do stuff like this so its good to see it done otherwise

#15 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Haha it has felt like that along the way!

As for the wheels, they took a lot of time and effort to get right, nitromorse then a wire wheel on the grinder. File out the slots to get rid of the left over chemicals, use gunk to get rid of the leftover rubbish, wash with water and a brush, then paint.

Always wear gloves, overalls and goggles when using nitromorse, it is horrible stuff that burns like mad if you get it on your skin (speaking from experience).

Tomorrow I will finish the welding, get the tyres on and finish painting them. Then build up the subframes and get this thing rolling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users