32 replies to this topic

#16 TypeR_Mini

TypeR_Mini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Looks promising! :) wish I was where you are! I've got motor, just no subframe :( good luck and will be watching this build! cheers!

#17 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, the subframe is such a commitment. That's when you really know it's happening, order way in advance though, mine took nearly 6 weeks to show up.

#18 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

OK so I finished the wheels on Saturday. I put the tyres on after the first coat of primer but didn't seat the bead. I wrapped them in bin bags to protect the tyre and did another coat of primer then 2 of black top coat. I'm going to wait a week or 2 before I rub them down to let the paint cure properly.

Anyway here's some pictures.

Tyres on getting another primer coat

Posted Image

2 finished wheels with the bead seated and pumped up

Posted Image

Side view

Posted Image

Oh and here are a load of other parts I did while I was at it. This is all in satin black, I like the very very understated look!

Posted Image

Didn't do any Sunday or Monday but have finished the structural welding today and will be filling some holes and might get the rear valance on, we will see how it goes. But it should be rolling in a couple of days (first time in 5 years)

#19 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well today went well, I finished up some welding bits (never ending!) all that's left is new rear bins and rear valance.

I sprayed POR15 all over the underside of the boot after tidying up some awful patch repairs by the previous owners. Got hold of a pallet truck to move the engine around a little easier and that meant I could give the garage a much needed tidy up, I found a lot of tools I lost months ago.

I got some seam sealer so that will be on the list of to dos tomorrow.

I have been teaching myself to weld on and off for a couple of years and have always had a lot of trouble, basically I could get a consistent arc, no matter what wire speed I had, the wire was fed in bursts which made it almost impossible. As I was sitting there today doing a few bits of welding, I realised that it's all been because I had the wire feed to tight! I had it set for 0.6mm and I'm using 0.8. Boring story but basically I am a welding master now.

#20 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

So today was a pretty busy one, sorry for all the iPhone photos.

Firstly started with finishing up the underside of the boot with POR15

Posted Image

and arches

Posted Image

I also built up the allspeed frame. I didn't have a cone compression tool so getting the upper arms into place took a little thinking outside the box!

Posted Image

Finally, being as the frame took me the best part of the day, I stripped the front, ready for paint tomorrow morning. A combination of Nitromores a wire brush and sand blaster sorted me out pretty quickly.

I have been grinding down plug welds today as well, there is nothing better than a flap disc for that job so if you are going to do it, bulk buy on eBay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, things are going well and I want to get the engine sitting in the frame in the next few days, but a lot going on means I'm not sure it will happen.

#21 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

You like your satin black don't you :shifty:

Careful with your cone compressor, its a good idea but I know someone who had one (the proper tool) let go and it just missed him when it decided to come away, so just be careful

**Parental control over** :D

#22 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

The cone compressor did the job nicely, it helpped having hilos. Satin black on the underside just because I'm not flash and don't care about what it's like as long as it's clean.

#23 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

I got mostly waxoyl on the underside of mine, floor subframe and some parts, not the best for wiping stuff clean though...

#24 mrthumb

mrthumb

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

if you want to seal the underside of your car. everyone has their own 2 pence on the matter. but i can highley recomend.. (after bare metal)

Zinc based primer..
Then

3M Black anti-chip coating with a schutz gun
Then

DINITROL 4941 with a schitz gun. It sets harder than waxoil. o

important to leave it in the sun for a few hours, or leave it overnight before applying the next coat.

Its such a durable finish i struggle to get it off with a grinder to do more welding.

ah just noticed you done the POR15. was curious how that stuff would take the twisting and stone chips. will have to take a look after a while and see what its like.

Edited by mrthumb, 07 September 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#25 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Any updates ?

#26 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

whats going on with this build ?

#27 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

It still exists. I am a slow worker, it's on wheels now, suspension all nice and in place. Got my intake manifold (B18C4 standard doesn't fit the mini) and have very nearly finished the welding.

I'm looking for a good bodyshop to get it sprayed and am not too sure if I should test fit everything and get it running before I get it painted or not. I'm at a bit of a loose end with it to be honest!

#28 minilee94

minilee94

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hmm nice project nice wheels

#29 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks. The wheels will have to be redone again as they are chipped from being in a busy garage. I will go for a powder coat finish next time though, I have a bit more money do to these little extras nowadays.

#30 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

i would say get everything test fitted before painting it because if you need to make any last minute adjustments its gonna be a pain if its been painted n you have to grind abit off here or there :(

even if you've only got a little bit of progress slap some picture up on here as im sure people would love to see how its coming along 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users