76 replies to this topic

#1 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just like to start by asking if anyone here has any experience with the stuff? I'm about to order a shed load of it to have a play and wondered if there would be any advice going...

#2 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Yes, its great stuff, Some guy matt blacked his MGTF and it looks great. Go on light on your coats, build up your layers, Use body panels as your edges.

have a look on YouTube for DipYourCar.com Found it quite helpful when using it for my sisters clio. Did the wheels and the badges etc. Black on Black always looks good.

#3 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

I have read up on this stuff and would really really like to give it a go but I haven't spotted any of it yet and can never be bothered to order online.

The fact that it can be peeled off is great in my opinion! Might do my wheels with some, change your mind, change peel it off!

Hope I am thinking of the right stuff here!

#4 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Well, I've just gone ahead and ordered the gun and paint to get this job underway. I'll be taking pictures along the way and will post them on this thread for anyone interested. Gonna get it done over the bank holiday so fingers crossed should work out half decent!

#5 FerritZA

FerritZA

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

It was suggested that I use the white one on my OZ wheels as they need a touch-up. What's the prep like?
Sick theme on your mini by the way!

#6 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've got no idea on prep to be honest. I'm just gonna cut the paint with a scotch brite pad, primer, scotch again and then layer the plasti dip on....

It was suggested that I use the white one on my OZ wheels as they need a touch-up. What's the prep like?
Sick theme on your mini by the way!

I assume you mean the mini in my pic? That's my old mini, the wheel fell off and it got scrapped lol. I'll be changing that pic on Monday hopefully when I've got my new paint job....

If it goes well I think I'm gonna opt for glow in the dark wheels :-)

#7 FerritZA

FerritZA

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I had a look at http://www.dipyourca...es.php?pageid=1, the say just a good clean off of all dirt, oil and grease, and any flaking paint obv using rubbing alcohol or their specific prep cleaner spray.

>_< shame on the wheel, and that scheme. I always wonder if I corner too hard sometimes. I've had a stud snap before, but it was due to over tightening imo by the tyre shop when I got new takkies. You'll certainly stand out with those wheels :P What colour are you going with for the body?

#8 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

I had a look at http://www.dipyourca...es.php?pageid=1, the say just a good clean off of all dirt, oil and grease, and any flaking paint obv using rubbing alcohol or their specific prep cleaner spray.

>_< shame on the wheel, and that scheme. I always wonder if I corner too hard sometimes. I've had a stud snap before, but it was due to over tightening imo by the tyre shop when I got new takkies. You'll certainly stand out with those wheels :P What colour are you going with for the body?

Yeah I read that too but I figure scratching the paintwork up a bit has to help it stick!

My wheel fell off because I had 15 inch spaced out rims lol. Was bound to happen eventually haha, just lucky I wasn't hurt!

Now get ready for this.... I should point out that this is the actual colour and HAS NOT been photoshopped! This is the colour I've ordered...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Think it'll stand out? Haha

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hang on, need to turn up my brightness on my monitor as its blending in to the background,

and its not like paint, because its removable you just clean the car.

Really looking forward to seeing the results as I have been thinking about dipping my car, at least a few bits of it :P

#10 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

There's a lad round the corner from me who's been mat blacking with this stuff too all the Chav mobils round here. He's doing it on the road outside his house, Using a compressor & spray gun He literally covers the whole car in the stuff with no prep at all. Then peels all the bits off the windows & lights ect. & job done. To be fair they do come out really well but he does this to like brand new corsa's & things :/

#11 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

yeah thats the beauty, you may have just spent thousands on a paintjob, then cover it with this, when you get bored it just peels off and dosnt affect the paintwork at all,

#12 SA MINI

SA MINI

Previously known as shaunarmes.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Local Club: yet to join HAMOC

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

If anything it's paintwork protection lol

#13 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yeah in a way it is, and just looking into it a bit more,

there was someone who did his whole car then used a 2500 psi jet wash to remove it when he got bored and took his paint off on some areas, but apparently using a less powerful jet wash is a safe and quicker way to remove the plasti-dip

I am very tempted to do my wheels in something garish and bright for the lols :P

#14 FerritZA

FerritZA

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

AND glow in the dark wheels! You'll never go missing. :shades:

Edited by FerritZA, 23 August 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#15 Joshwa457

Joshwa457

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Got the paint yesterday. Did a small test on the wing, it would appear I have to primer it white or I won't get the brightness I'm aiming for! So today I'm gonna strip the car down and hopefully get one or two coats of white base on. Leave that overnight and then start dipping it tomorrow :-)

Pics to come

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users