#1 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi all,

Since day one i have been batteling with understeer in slower corners and have changed to Dunlop D93's for more grip. It feels that it did not help much, but I do not like a loose back and therefore not to keen to get an anti roll bar as yet. Running 2 deg neg camber in the front 0.5 at the back. So I've decided to live with this for now.

The problem now is that when I go through faster corners, it feels like the car is sliding a lot sideways. It is understeering to put it blunt, but I can feel the car losing grip sideways. sometimes I have to slack down around the corners due to other cars, and usually loose the back end totally even by just lifting off the accelerator. Now I brake so early in corners to allow faster cars through that my lap times decreased by 2 sec. I do have some body roll, but not to much.

I have watched some in car vids on the mini sevens, and it seems they are running with loose backs and just control them well. It looks like they actually loose them, cath it by counter steer and just accerate again. On that, the corners I talk about, I am usually with pedal to the metal and pulling through the corner, or so I think.

Is this the way to race a mini ie do I need to improve my ability to 'drift/bounce' the car around a corner or am I missing something ?

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

its about balance and feel, tracking, castor camber all affect one another, and then rubber mounts means things move, so more information about the car required please

#3 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have adjustable f and b suspension with solid front subframe mounts. (the only ones in South Africa). The lower arms and tie rod bushes are the uprated ones from mini spares.

Front
Toe out 1.6mm
Camber -2
Caster 4

Rear
Toe in 1.6 m
Camber -0.5

Car has not been lowered excessively and back is about 3/4" higher than the front. Dampers in front is about double as hard as the back's settings.

As mentioned, the problem feels to be the lack of sideways grip, ie turning more does not help and the car just skid sideways. Might be that I enter the corner to fast ?

#4 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Also. Might be of help if someone can give me an idea of what parts the mini sevens are using on their suspensions and an idea on their tracking settings.

I do not mind to purchase rose jointed lower and tire rods from minispares, I'd that is what I require !! I just want to stop wasting money on parts and setup that does not work, or spent the time and learn how to drive the car properly.

Is it normal for the mini's back to break away in a corner when de-accelerating or braking ??.

#5 alsy

alsy

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

If you go to fast into a corner then back off whilst cornering the car will loose its back end as all the weight shifts.. Same if your going to fast and braking, then let off the brake it will also go...

#6 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Unless you run a touring car with perfect suspension set up for a front sheen drive car, the mini should be back end happy for you to be able to hammer around successfully.

If you lift off mid corner then you will loose it. Commit more, if they are faster, let them find their own way around!! Don't let them make you compromise your own time just to let them through!!!

Anyway, it's a front wheel drive, the rear just follows!

Edited by Artful Dodger, 07 October 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#7 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

ive raced fast minis and metros for years.
i too do not like the rear stepping out.
what championship do u run in
what engine and diff
tyre size.

the fastest way around a corner in a mini is to have it set up like a mini seven/miglia. but when racing with other cars its no so easy. as they are normally slower through the turns which sometimes make it inevitable to lift. at this point a mini will spin.
always always keep your foot down on a bend, and the rear will not overtake the front.

tell me what spec your car is and i may be able to offer advise.

see me race

#8 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

the 7's have toe out on the rear to help them around the corners a bit better ;-)
rear ARB, and a few other bits :-)

yes they are unstable, and yes there is a skill in driving them... its balancing the power and steering input... remember the more you turn the wheel: the more speed you burn off... make the back end help you around the corner and you need less steering input and can control it on the power...

Edited by icklemini, 09 October 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#9 danbmini

danbmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Great video's MIGLIACARS!!

#10 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

what you have set up looks fine

virtually same as my historic mini was

had spax 9f 4b

had salisbury diff

used hoosier tyres

there was a anti roll bar on rear

car was nice and neutral

Posted Image

joy to drive

#11 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi Migliacars,

I am running a 1330 for now with a standard 3.44 diff in classic car racing or historics. I am running the Dunlop d93 semi slicks 165/70/10.

I am in the process to build a 1430, but for now rather want to spent the money to optimize the suspension and handling of the car. Only once this is sorted I will complete the new engine build, with sc gears and a LSD.

As per your suggestion and my original question : what is the setup of the mini sevens ?? As mentioned my problem is the lost of grip in the sideways direction around a corner ie understeer, I think, although I have lost the back plenty times around the corners.

#12 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Racing bob,

I was told that an anti roll bar on the rear makes the back more loose ?

The setup of my car is as per previous advice from you are cooper man. Wonder is the LSD will make a big difference for holding around the corners ?

#13 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

the LSD made huge difference on my car

i take it you played with tyre pressure

when using falkens we had to run 39 f 36 b

and srubbed down to 2mm

#14 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Racing bob,

I was told that an anti roll bar on the rear makes the back more loose ?

The setup of my car is as per previous advice from you are cooper man. Wonder is the LSD will make a big difference for holding around the corners ?

oh and with the falkens we had to run 3 deg camber

#15 Sputnik

Sputnik

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Have not yet played with tyre pressure to much as yet, but when hot, the tyres are run at 30f 30b. Did go down on back to get the back for controllable.

It feels like when the dun lops get to hard, that they loose even more grip. Between a rock and a hard place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users