53 replies to this topic

#1 Paulus

Paulus

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

Recently been given a Mayfair fitted with a 1380cc A+ engine. Its running a stg 4 head with a single 1 3/4" SU carb. Its gonna be used as an every day car.

What I want to know is, what oil should I be using in it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

#2 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

millers xfs

this is about the best oil

we use this in my racing car :D

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Ideally you should use 10/40 mineral, but if the engines getting a bit ropey, try using a 15/40

Avoid using synthetic or part synthetic as most are not designed to be torn apart by gearboxes, I cannot comment on the quality of the above oil as have not used it, but not sure how many miles Tom does in a season but bet it's no-where near the 6k oil change interval for minis.

#4 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

DO NOT fill it with the synthetic XFS above if it has not run its life on synthetic before !!

Use a GOOD quality mineral oil preferably of 50 weight (15W/50, 20W/50) as this will give the best comprimise of protecting both the engine and gearbox !

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

this is about the best oil

we use this in my racing car

Tom that's a bit of a daft thing to say. For one thing a racing engine requires totally different things from its oil to a road engine. There simply is no 'best oil' for all cars. For example, as said above Mini's do not like fully synthetic oils at all since the gearbox uses the same oil as the engine.

#6 Paulus

Paulus

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks chaps. Now, what battery do I need? Just found out mine is no longer fit for this world.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

I'd love to know where the falicy that 50 grade oil is good for a mini... 'cause in the UK climate it's too thick..

Check your manual !

#8 Noah991

Noah991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

Did not know that about the synth oil. Good thing mine is due a change soon.

#9 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

Recently been given a Mayfair fitted with a 1380cc A+ engine. Its running a stg 4 head with a single 1 3/4" SU carb. Its gonna be used as an every day car.

sorry but i just naturally assumed that he would want a performane oil to go with, what sounds like, a performance engine. And if the engine has had enought money spent on it then it would be a good theing to change the oil more reguarly. i didn't thinks that it would make so much of a difference using a sythetic oil :D

and also millers do a great range of oils for classic and and all sorts of engines

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

As I said above Tom, a performance oil for the road would be different from a performance oil for the track. For example, do you get your race car off the trailer and start racing it with then engine cold? No? But you do just drive your daily driver away from your house early in the morning and expect full use of your engine immediatley I presume?

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

I've used Millers oils in both my triumphs before, and they were great. I can't comment on Mini use though (As my engine is currently not in the car and doen't have any oil in it!), So i'll be watching this tread myself for comments......

#12 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Always (as far as memory serves) used a 15/40 oil - wether that be halfords or tescos brand - thought about using castrol, or a 20/40 but seems to have no problem running on the basic brand stuff :D

As for your battery question, I'm thinking of getting a new calcium battery - again from halfords (slight rip off but would rather i can take it back and shout at them than having to fork out again). Cost about £45 and apparently far better than the standard lead ones....can anyone verify? Rumour has it they've only been out on the shelves a hsort while, and not everyone changes a battery regularly.

#13 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

'cause in the UK climate it's too thick..

It is NOT too thick !!!

Yes the engine will run happily on a 40 grade and maybe even a 30 BUT the gearbox will last longer on a 50 ! As with everything in lubrication terms its a comprimise!

Yes the handbook quoted 40 grade for later Mini's but I bet if you speak to Mini mechanics they will tell you they have seen more gearbox problems with later cars than earlier ones!

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

I think you'll find even the first manual specifies 10/40, 50 is for use in warmer climates...

and as for gearboxes, never had any of mine fail using 40...

#15 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

and as for gearboxes, never had any of mine fail using 40...

That's a relatively small sample to make judgements on!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users