33 replies to this topic

#16 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ok . That's what I'm studying ATM . Are you are UNi or at college still ? Jut curious as I'm looking to go UNi next year .

#17 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I am at both :P
Technically I am at Northbrook college, but I am doing motorsport engineering FdEng (foundation degree) which I will be taking up to a full degree with a top up year.

#18 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

O ok .. I'm at college on my final year ATM . Thinking about doing a foundation degree there ton:) . How's it going for you ? . Another question , what metal would you use when making a subframe ? I guess it's steal but what type ? . Cheers

#19 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Its great, I have come from doing a motor vehicle bodywork and paint course at level 3, and average Gcse's because I didnt put the work in, but so far its a lot of work and revision of maths mostly as you do need to be good at maths or be able to pick it up quickly, but its a good course, tutors are all from the trade so know a lot about what works and doesnt.

also at northbrook Ricado engineering is just opposite, and they deal in big things, I think they designed the Mp4-12c engine or at least a part of it, and the course tutors have a lot of links into the trade and a few ex students have gone on to work with F1, WRC, NASCAR, etc Also Northbrook has its own Formular Renault team which is cool.

And yeah steel, at least as thick as the original subframe is made of if not thicker due to extra weight, also you will have to make sure it is strong enough to take the weight of engine, the loads of acceleration and deceleration, suspension loads, etc so it will need to be well engineered.

I would reccomend looking at project threads on here and the 16v mini forum see how other people went about it, and you will need to learn how to Mig weld unless you want someone else to make the frame for you. :)

#20 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Sounds good mate . Cheers for all the info . I'm considering loads of places ATM . I can mig weld . Lucky enoungh my girldfiends dad is a welder so he tought me x

#21 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Ahh thats handy, if you want to know anymore info I am only a PM away bud :)

#22 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Remember if using a non standard engine / gearbox in a mini - or any other car -

- you will probably need an IVA ,or BIVA test - if using on the road

esp if subby / suspension is modified

Bungle will explain ;o)

#23 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Cheers for everyone's help :). Really helpful :)!

#24 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ahh yes how could we forget the good old BIVA! what fun! :P

#25 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

What biva ?

#26 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

BIVA / Iva / Sva is basically a very thourough MOT which kit car and highly modified car owners have to go through so that the car can be registered for the road, it is a massive grey area as most modified car owners dont bother with it risking them getting caught by VOSA and having their car crushed.

Its expensive, its hard work as a mini in standard form wont pass it as everything has to have a large radius, no sharp edges all that rollocks

and basically there is a points system which means if you have less than 8 points you need to get an IVA test, if you read up you can find out more info as I dont know it all off the top of my head, (how Bungle remembers it and mentiones it in detail multiple times a week i dont know!)

#27 Bigedd95

Bigedd95

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

So a standard mini won't pass :/ ? I find that strange as its road legal ?

#28 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

It is because the mini in design is now over 50 years old, the reason the mini isnt on the road anymore is due to safety regs changing, BMW who bought the brand in the late 90's really struggled keeping the mini in production till the BINI was ready due to safety changes.

If you look into passing an IVA you will see why, certain sharp edges have to have a big radius etc, im not saying a mini couldnt be made to pass but certain items would have to be changed/modified :)

#29 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

So a standard mini won't pass :/ ? I find that strange as its road legal ?

The 'classic' mini couldn't be produced now as it was - and a new 'classic' Mini wouldn't be road legal , as it would fail on several safety points

sharp edges that pedestrians could harm themselves on

The steering column is a solid shaft - it should be collapsible with U/J's , to protect driver

and several other soft and fluffy things

It's stupid - but it's law

Stick with a standard engine - you have the choice from 850 up to 1300

Edited by sledgehammer, 20 October 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#30 Noah

Noah

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,136 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

I know insurance wont be cheap but I'm thinking it will be cheaper for a smaller engine . I can't put a 998 in mine because they run on a carb . My car being after 92 has to have a cat so the only engines I can run are a mpi or spi :) Cheers

94' Mini 35.

1275cc Carb engine. As standard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users