#16 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

You are making some really good progress there, well done!
I think you've taken a fair few clues from the starlet builds on ausmini right?
What you might have missed is some of the higher powered starlet conversions have cracked their frames and the wings, because the tierod mounts are at the end of a long bar and under acceleration and braking the whole of the engines torque and the cars weight is thrown at these mounts. It was flexing the subframe which cracked the wings then the subframe generally near the suspension towers.
The solution seems to be to add bolt on bars running underneath the engine and up to near the tierod mounts, adding strength and reducing the flex. The top of the subframe wasn't designed for those sorts of loads so any added support you can give it has to be a bonus IMO.
I hope this helps, if you want specific builds barricades build was one that had this problem, there was another as well, I also remember a thread on the issue, I'll see if i can find it.

#17 Relatively Normal

Relatively Normal

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I had already started thinking about mounts for the 'brake reaction arms' to be bolted underneath.

It's one of those things that has to be done once driveshafts etc are in so I don't get in there way. I will post whatever I come up with for a solution.

#18 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Here's a thread that discusses stronger subframe designs if it's any use.
http://www.ausmini.c...pic.php?t=41169

#19 Relatively Normal

Relatively Normal

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

That is a help thanks,

#20 whyter

whyter

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Your doing some fantastic work, following this very closely. I ve completed a micra conversion for a friend of mine and it has worked out well but I think I d rather something that would wake you up on a Monday morning :proud:

I ve studied the Aus build, seems really good, your subframe seems very similar. Is there any way of not having to cut the inner wings if you had a clubman front

#21 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Is there any way of not having to cut the inner wings if you had a clubman front

I doubt it the engine and gearbox package just seems too long. Here in Australia any engine conversion needs to be supervised and inspected by an engineer so chopping out even part of the inner wings wouldn't have been done lightly, in fact Minstars's website(early clubman 4EFTE build) confirms this as he had to rebox in sections to reassure the engineer.

The advantage of the clubman is that you don't have to put the radiator in the boot.

Here's the blog of Minstar's build it is an early starlet conversion so some improvements have been made but the blog and photos are pretty thorough and clear.
http://www.mpdesign....conversion7.htm

#22 whyter

whyter

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Cheers mate nice build there, you guys also have very nice ausi mk 1 doors I d like to have to :D

Edited by whyter, 17 November 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#23 Relatively Normal

Relatively Normal

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Relatively Normal

Relatively Normal

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I will be using The Starlet turbo seats as well as the engine so I needed to make some seat mounts and adapt the seats subframes to fit.
I wanted to mount the seats as low as possible in the car but safely. I may have gone overboard on the mounts but you never can be too careful.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes that bolted and welded to the floor!

Posted Image

I bent the front mounts of the seat frame so they were at 90 degrees instead if the standard 45 degrees.

Posted Image

I Also took the gearstick mount from the starlet which i have welded to the floor of the mini after welding a plate over the original gearstick hole.

#25 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Clever using the gear stick mount from the starlet, looks really neat. Do the stralet seats have built in seat belt buckles? I have a pair of porsche seats and they have the buckles bolted to the seats, but I don't trust my welding enough to use them.

#26 giacomo

giacomo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

interested in making a subframe :P ? i may know someone who'd be interested!

#27 Relatively Normal

Relatively Normal

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hi,

I dont think I would make a Subframe for someone else, only because I wouldnt want to be held liable if something went wrong!

You know what the worlds like these days, trip over in the street and sue the council for not making a flat pavement and the shoe company for not making the shoes grip better and the guy across the street who laughed at you for emotional stress! etc etc.

The starlet belt buckles are attached to the seat thats why I have gone a little overboard with the mounts.

I will put up some more photos soon, im away for next week and im having a little trouble with my bonnet at the moment. Youll see what i mean when i put the pics up!

#28 KieranB

KieranB

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

I dont think I would make a Subframe for someone else, only because I wouldnt want to be held liable if something went wrong!

You know what the worlds like these days, trip over in the street and sue the council for not making a flat pavement and the shoe company for not making the shoes grip better and the guy across the street who laughed at you for emotional stress! etc etc.

Amen to that fella

jobs looking good. got a close eye on this :thumbsup:

#29 adamt117

adamt117

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thats looking really good mate. Keep up the good work.

I've started doing this conversion as well. Are you keeping the turbo in its standard position? because i found its really tight and mine pokes out the grill. I like what you've done with the radiator in the boot

Here's the link to my project:
http://www.turbomini...p=vt&tid=470448

#30 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

nice work buddy doing a micra convertion atm your subframe looks really good nice work! got to figure out on mine how to remount the front tie bar mounts keep up the good work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users