The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

The engine conversions fall into the same category.

If the VTEC or VX engine is newer than the car, the emmissions testis based on the age of the car. If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine.

If you took an X reg (1999) Mini Cooper and plonked a 1999 VTEC engine in it, you'd have to fit a catalytic converter and pass the cat emmissions test.

#17 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

In my case, I have a 1993 Vauxhall engine in mine, but it's a 1971 Mini. I have to pass a visual emmissions test only.

#18 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

so would i be right in saying that if i had for example a bored out 1982 metro engine in my 1995 mini then the test would be a non cat 1982 test?

#19 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

If you can prove it's a 1982 engine, then yes. But I'm not sure what level of cat test the 1995s have to pass anyway. Did it start off life as an SPi?

#20 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

However, a rebuilt engine is no longer the original engine, so cannot be considered as "old".

Remember this bit though. As I said earlier, it SHOULD have a new engine number in theory, but most people don't do that.

#21 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Did it start off life as an SPi?

yes it did

#22 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Realistically, what you're proposing to do (if done properly) shouldn't pass an MOT. If you were putting the original specification of 1982 Metro engine in, and IF it's still got the original engine number, with the paperwork to prove the engine's age then it would pass.

If you take the engine to be rebuilt and it gets a new number, then there's no proof that the engine is a 1982 engine. IF you kept the original engine number, it would be fine though.

#23 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Realistically, what you're proposing to do (if done properly) shouldn't pass an MOT. If you were putting the original specification of 1982 Metro engine in, and IF it's still got the original engine number, with the paperwork to prove the engine's age then it would pass.

If you take the engine to be rebuilt and it gets a new number, then there's no proof that the engine is a 1982 engine. IF you kept the original engine number, it would be fine though.

The way round this is an engineers report with the engine.... which may be admissible..

#24 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

To be completely honest, it's the sort of thing that people do get away with quite regularly. That doesn't stop there being rules though.

An engineer's report may help, yep. I imagine the authorities will find a way of clamping down on it soon though!

#25 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I suppose it's a case of just seeing what happens if I took it with a 1293, but I agree that it depends on who the tester is...

#26 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Could some one show me online were a rebuilt engine has to have a new engine number, also to what extent does a rebuilt engine become a rebuilt engine eg, pistons, crankshaft etc.

#27 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Could some one show me online were a rebuilt engine has to have a new engine number, also to what extent does a rebuilt engine become a rebuilt engine eg, pistons, crankshaft etc.

Probably not, but for reference, the engine number not only determines a serial number but also type and specification... This is the same with with pretty much any engine from any manufacturer. If you change the specification of an engine then you should change the engine number which then relates to the specification.

What I've done in the past if an owner wants to keep the original engine number is to provide them with a new spec sheet for that engine number, but that also includes a new manufacture date.

#28 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I can't see why an engine should have a new number just because it get's reconditioned! It's still the same block -and that's what the number is attached to. So - just print out the page showing engine numbers against age of cars and take it along with you. The Tester isn't going to be that bothered - as long as he has something believable to look at. The old number should of course have been registered with DVLA to the car - and appear on the V5c and on his computer to make it work.

#29 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I can't see why an engine should have a new number just because it get's reconditioned! It's still the same block -and that's what the number is attached to. So - just print out the page showing engine numbers against age of cars and take it along with you. The Tester isn't going to be that bothered - as long as he has something believable to look at. The old number should of course have been registered with DVLA to the car - and appear on the V5c and on his computer to make it work.

Couldn't agree more, there's no more reason to iussue a reconditioned engine with a new number than there would be to apply for a new VIN after fitting a new wing and bonnet.
From an MOT point of view a reconditioned engine cannot be expected to be in better mechanical condition than it was when it was new , and therfore it is only reasonable to expect it to meet the emission standards applicable to that time.

#30 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

The engine conversions fall into the same category.

If the VTEC or VX engine is newer than the car, the emmissions testis based on the age of the car. If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine.

I disagree.......

I have never heard of this in the 20+ years of faffin around with cars. I used to re-engine Capri's & Landrovers with different engines and the vehicles were always mot'd with the " age of the car ", not the engine.

Answer me this. Hypothetically, your Ford Mondeo of 1996 vintage blows it engine. You go to Ford and buy a new identical engine and get that fitted ( in 2013 ). Surely the vehicle emmisions are sill determined by the age of the car, not the year the engine was built, otherwise it would be up against 2013 regulations........

Edited by Badboytunes, 13 January 2013 - 07:31 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users