80 replies to this topic

#31 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I can't see why an engine should have a new number just because it get's reconditioned! It's still the same block -and that's what the number is attached to. So - just print out the page showing engine numbers against age of cars and take it along with you. The Tester isn't going to be that bothered - as long as he has something believable to look at. The old number should of course have been registered with DVLA to the car - and appear on the V5c and on his computer to make it work.

totally agree with you, do you think it would be a good idea to speak to an MOT garage to confirm that its done in that way?

#32 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I suppose it's a case of just seeing what happens if I took it with a 1293, but I agree that it depends on who the tester is...

If there is no exact match for your car in the emissions booklet provided by VOSA then your car will not require a cat test regardless of what engine it has fitted (providing it is not newer than the car). Unfortunately the engine ID is contained within the VIN of late MG/Rover vehicles

MG ROVER GROUP LTD
The Model Code consists of the 4th & 5th digit of the VIN number and defines the model. The Engine Code consists of
the 8th digit of the VIN number and defines the engine type. The Serial Number consists of the last 6 digits of the VIN

If your car VIN does not match with any of the models below, then you can stick any older engine in and it will not require a cat test or proof of age. However If you do get a match then you must provide a dating certificate/letter.
Mini Model Code XN
1.3l Auto TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059845 onwards
1.3l Manual TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059822 onwards
1.3l TBi Engine Code Y Serial No 060488 onwards
1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

Edited by tommy13, 13 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#33 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

The engine conversions fall into the same category.

If the VTEC or VX engine is newer than the car, the emmissions testis based on the age of the car. If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine.

I disagree.......

I have never heard of this in the 20+ years of faffin around with cars. I used to re-engine Capri's & Landrovers with different engines and the vehicles were always mot'd with the " age of the car ", not the engine.

Answer me this. Hypothetically, your Ford Mondeo of 1996 vintage blows it engine. You go to Ford and buy a new identical engine and get that fitted ( in 2013 ). Surely the vehicle emmisions are sill determined by the age of the car, not the year the engine was built, otherwise it would be up against 2013 regulations........

Read the MOT manual, it's on car or engine whatever is oldest, which solves your hypothetical problem

#34 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

or this Hypothetically

your 1969 MG midget blows it's engine and you say i have had enough i will fit a K series engine

how will a K series engine mated to a other wise standard midget pass a modern car emissions test with no cat fitted and no where to fit a cat in the standard exhaust

#35 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you want to disagree, feel free....I'll just rip up the MOT tester's certificate that's hanging on my wall.

#36 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

If the VTEC or VX engine is newer than the car, the emmissions test is based on the age of the car. If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine.

I disagree.......

I have never heard of this in the 20+ years of faffin around with cars. I used to re-engine Capri's & Landrovers with different engines and the vehicles were always mot'd with the " age of the car ", not the engine.

Answer me this. Hypothetically, your Ford Mondeo of 1996 vintage blows it engine. You go to Ford and buy a new identical engine and get that fitted ( in 2013 ). Surely the vehicle emmisions are sill determined by the age of the car, not the year the engine was built, otherwise it would be up against 2013 regulations........

You've disagreed with what I said, and then written a hypothetical argument that is the same situation as what I had stated. You've taken an old car, fitted a newer engine, the vehicle then gets tested to the age of the car instead of the engine, as the car is oldest.

#37 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Come on Matt there is no need to spit the dummy out.
through this post some people have been able to read the link to the MOT testers manual and give them the correct information about having a MOT with a fresh engine.
some people disagree about having to have a new engine number if the engine is rebuilt, if some one has a link then we will all believe it, untill then like lots of postings on TMF some people will disagree.

#38 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

or this Hypothetically

your 1969 MG midget blows it's engine and you say i have had enough i will fit a K series engine

how will a K series engine mated to a other wise standard midget pass a modern car emissions test with no cat fitted and no where to fit a cat in the standard exhaust

It has no need to pass a modern emissions test - the test will be done on what's older of the engine or car so will only have to pass a visible smoke test.

#39 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'm not spitting the dummy out about that, I'm not really spitting the dummy out at all....it was more sarcasm than anything.

I've only ever based the engine rebuild thing on what I've been told by rebuilders. But I have no idea what actually constitutes a 'rebuild'....surely a slight overbore using standard over-sized pistons (like a 1293) is still an engine of the same spec. that's just been repaired, not rebuilt...that's the grey area.

Most MOT testers would look at a Mini like the one in question and just do an emmissions test based on carb figures anyway!

#40 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

This new engine number after an engine rebuild/rebore is new one on me...

The MOT side regarding which test seems pretty simple though..

The test is done to whichever is older...engine or car.

1972 car 1995 engine test to the cars age

1995 car 1972 engine test to the engines age (with proof)

#41 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

To to OP. Would it not be adviseable to fit the engine and then take it to local MOT garage and have them test the emissions and see what the readings are and then carry out adjustments to the vehicle to pass emissions for the age of the car.

#42 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

carry out adjustments to the vehicle to pass emissions for the age of the car.

it's a good idea, but if what some people are saying about testing to the oldest year then i wouldn't need to pass emissions for the 'age of the car' as i would acquire an older block

#43 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yup, and realistically if you keep the old engine number (like I said earlier, most people would do) then it won't be a problem.

#44 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

great stuff, think i know all i wanted to find out now haha thanks

#45 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

If the VTEC or VX engine is newer than the car, the emmissions test is based on the age of the car. If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine.

I disagree.......

You've disagreed with what I said, and then written a hypothetical argument that is the same situation as what I had stated. You've taken an old car, fitted a newer engine, the vehicle then gets tested to the age of the car instead of the engine, as the car is oldest.

Nope..... You said " If the VTEC engine is older than the car, then the vehicle has to pass an emmissions test based on the age of the engine."

I said no, it gets tested in the age of the car...........

This is what has been said to me over the numerous years of doing engine swaps. And to be honest, I have never been asked the age of the engine going back in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users