Photo

Missing Turbo Engine, Please Keep A Look Out.

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 chris211083

chris211083

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm sorry but if the Driver collected it and Jonspeed booked it then it's up to one of them to pay for it. It has to have been insured or can be claimed on either of the company's insurance.

Chris.

#17 chrisj

chrisj

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I use City Link for the business, this happens on a regular basis unfortunately and it's always the bigger items, i sent my oven (long story) back to smeg with them and it never arrived, turned out to have been miss directed and then somehow de-labeled or the label became unreadable, I ended up ringing several different depots until I eventually found it and travelled up to confirm it was mine, it was then sent on its merry way and arrived the next day.

My advice would be to ring all the depots from your end onwards towards the delivery location, it may be a long process but well worth it, be prepared to travel also. I very much doubt it would have been incorrectly delivered to someone, more than likely sitting in a city link depot awaiting someone's attention.

Good luck.

#18 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think it would take some stealing, you couldn't really stuff it under your arm and stick it in your boot

#19 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thing is if it's lost it's label and ends up kicking around in a depot then eventually it will be disposed of - either sold or thrown out (which may include going into the back of an employee's car). Depends on Citylink's policy for dealing with these things and what's in their T's&C's when you post a parcel with them. I wouldn't suggest that an employee who recognised it and maybe wanted it would deliberately remove a label and then bide their time till it's declared a hopeless case and they can "legitimately" take it home but.......

The only way you'll see it again is by making a pain of yourself to make it clear that they either find it or it will cost them a lot of money. Unfortunately if Jonspeed arranged them as a courier then the contract to deliver is with them and Citylink have no obligation to even speak to you. It's down to Jonspeed to put/keep pressure on them to find it or to claim it's value back from them. Of course you should have a contract/agreement with Jonspeed so if they don't get it or it's value back from Citylink then it comes out of their pocket when they have to replace or refund it for you.

As for the value - did Jonspeed know the spec of engine that they sent someone to collect? If so then being in the business it's reasonable to expect them to know the value and have it insured accordingly. If they knew the spec but didn't have enough insurance cover then hard-lines and they will have to make up the difference to you. If they didn't know the spec and didn't have it insured for enough then you might be unlucky. Make sure you keep any correspondance you might have just in case it does come down to you having to take cash instead.

Iain

#20 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

What about reporting it as stolen?

That'll put massive pressure on the courier to make it appear again

#21 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Stolen is only if someone has intentionally taken with intent to deprive you of it. It's been handed over in good faith to a third party so it's not stolen unless you can prove that they never intended to deliver it. Police won't even log it.

Iain

#22 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

And it is fair to suspect that someone has taken it with the intention of permanently depriving.

It's up to the police to investigate a reported crime!

#23 redmini

redmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Local Club: Snowdon Mini's,Miniaddicts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

All great ideas guys, and greatly appreciated. Jonspeed knew the spec from when they built it, but as I can't prove all the additions to the engine, they aren't going to replace items on my say so. I've found most of the receipts now but am still struggling for the 4 pin diff, fuel pressure regulator, megajolt and a few other bits. Citylink as was stated have no contract with me, so won't share any details. Jonspeed want all proof then will start a rebuild, to be honest I'd just like my engine back though as it was a belter and I know it inside out.

#24 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

And it is fair to suspect that someone has taken it with the intention of permanently depriving.

Suspicion is not proof. You have to prove that someone has taken it. It's been freely handed to someone else so not taken. Citylink as an entity did not intend to deprive him f it so it's not theft. It's purely a civil case if Citylink don't turn it up and even then it's down to the T's&C's that Jonspeed agreed to when they arranged it.

It's entirely possible (but unlikely) that Citylink have a clause that says if it goes missing then very sorry but hard luck. If you then contract them to deliver something and it never arrives then it's gone and there's nothing you can do about it unless you subsequently find it AND can prove that they never intended to deliver it. In reality any company with that sort of small print would never get any business so they will all have a minimum level of insurance that you can claim against if a parcel doesn't arrive and probably the option to increase that. If you don't insure something for as much as it's worth then again it's hard luck.

Iain

#25 clivemk1mini

clivemk1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Any news has it been found ?

#26 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

How the F do you lose an engine? its not as if you can stuff it up your jumper and walk off with it.
I heard Minispeed lost one end of last year think that was City link (splitter) I used them once for a next day express took two weeks!
dont know if the engine turned up? maybe there is an export subservice going on at these companys. might be a good time for these companys to look closer at the people they employ

#27 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Go to where it was last seen then (the place city link is based and talk to them) maybe in the werehouse.

City link recently been having issues with staff my local one had one lady maning it for the whole weekend.

#28 mini*mad

mini*mad

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

seen a similar spec engine for sale buddy
post up the full spec, pistons etc.
as this one has recently been rebuilt but most numbers ground off!
try turbominis, nice bunch of guys who can keep an eye out

#29 Scott@minispeed

Scott@minispeed

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

UK Mail lost one we sent on a pallet to a Shropshire customer beginning of December, brand new built special to spec with £2800 pricetag, It DID turn up however about 10 days ago and we now have it back and on display at a discount in our shop having built another one at our cost for the customer.
There is hope just keep phoning the courier daily and try to get it escalated to the highest levels. Good luck

#30 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

What happened in the end?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users